PDA

View Full Version : Why won't you die!!!

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 09:25 AM
I can not shoot down planes, can't what so ever. I land hits all the time and stuff flys off they keep flying. WHAT THE POOP LOL. I have a sidewinder 2 joystick, and I don't know if it is it's fault. I land hits, just never EVER shoot down the other plane, but one hit kills me? I'm sooooo lost please help. I already do the bomber practice, and I can do 20 swipes before bringing him down, but land hits every time... I'm soooooo frustrated i'm going to throught this game out the window even thought i love flying in it...

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 09:25 AM
I can not shoot down planes, can't what so ever. I land hits all the time and stuff flys off they keep flying. WHAT THE POOP LOL. I have a sidewinder 2 joystick, and I don't know if it is it's fault. I land hits, just never EVER shoot down the other plane, but one hit kills me? I'm sooooo lost please help. I already do the bomber practice, and I can do 20 swipes before bringing him down, but land hits every time... I'm soooooo frustrated i'm going to throught this game out the window even thought i love flying in it...

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Maybe you need more hits?

S!

M0NS

"Blow up the outside world"

http://www.flugwerk.de/images/01k.jpg
My garage!

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 09:29 AM
What plane are you using?

ArmoredSaint wrote:
- I can not shoot down planes, can't what so ever. I
- land hits all the time and stuff flys off they keep
- flying. WHAT THE POOP LOL. I have a sidewinder 2
- joystick, and I don't know if it is it's fault. I
- land hits, just never EVER shoot down the other
- plane, but one hit kills me? I'm sooooo lost please
- help. I already do the bomber practice, and I can do
- 20 swipes before bringing him down, but land hits
- every time... I'm soooooo frustrated i'm going to
- throught this game out the window even thought i
- love flying in it...

<center> http://www.322squadron.com/images/322.gif </center>

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Look we all know your pain /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif but it is not enough to just get "some" hits you nead to hold your aim on target for 2-3 seconds at least, maybe longer if your using MG's instead of cannons.

And when you think you are close enough get closer /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

No1RAAF_Pourshot

XO No1RAAF

http://www.froggy.com.au/edinkulelija/no1raaf/image/crest.gif

some are the hunters the rest are the hunted

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 10:01 AM
A feeling I know also. Its, for me, the biggest problem with single player IL2 + FB. The fact that the AI seems immune to none critical damage. No matter how many holes you put in the airframe or control surfaces you shoot off they keep flying and fighting like the plane was straight off the production line.

The only two tricks are, the obvious one, learn to shoot the pilot or the engine

or, less obviously, keep the detail down and maximise your frame rate. I've found on my very basic machine that even if the game looks okay, when struggling with the amount of detail bullets seem to get droppped or skip in flight and you only get partial credit for yur hits.

I've found since turning all my settings down one my kill rate has doubled.

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 10:12 AM
ArmoredSaint wrote:
- flying. WHAT THE POOP LOL. I have a sidewinder 2
- joystick, and I don't know if it is it's fault. I
- land hits, just never EVER shoot down the other
- plane, but one hit kills me?
----------------------------------------------

There is nothing wrong joystick. and most have scored hits on an enemy and it still flies.
here is my thoughts:

1. the enemy is damaged by your rounds, but u cant se that
he has oil and holes on his windshield or maby u even shot his
gunsight away, or wounded him.
(if u are hit, dont let the enemy know u are disabled or it will boost his morale and confidence).

2. when u are hit it may sound as a single bop, and u die.
Infact it can be multiple bullets. so one squeese on trigger means , in 109K4 with 30mm wingcannons, that "3" 30 mm cannons and "2" machineguns fired at same time, and its a heavy round coming your way. if it hits pilot by accident or skill dont matter, u are finito.

3. And remember the damage model dont display hits from every bullet, so maybe the enemy can be slightly damaged
without "visible" holes.

4. U didnt mention what plane u flew and what the enemy was. But some planes can take more hits (armour) and other planes have tiny guns.
so many planes have disadvantages. for example:
La5-7 are good overall planes, but the engine goes out easily when hit. 109;s windshield is realy difficult seeing trough when oiled. and so on.....

5. keep stressing the enemy(chasing,shooting) if he is slightly damaged he may crash into ground when trying to evade ur attacks.( u get more stressed when damaged= make mistakes)

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Also if possible try to shoot at your convergance settings to concentrate the area where the bullets hit, and try to select one place to aim at. And be aware that Oleg has said that the patch will include:
"- Revising weapons lethality and produced effects.
- Revising damage model on some planes."

Just keep practising /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 11:11 AM
ArmoredSaint wrote:
- flying.
- I land hits, just never EVER shoot down the other
- plane, but one hit kills me?

Aaaagh you are not alone.
Welcome to MY world.
I hope to meet you online where we can futilely chase one another
through the sky for several hours till we run out of fuel n ammo
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I still love it to death though.
They say 'practice makes perfect'
They lied you know!!

Some soar like an eagle
Some circle as vultures.
I fly like a tit!

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Try using rockets.

One hit does the trick.

Practice with unlimited ammo until you get the hang of it./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<center><table bgcolor="black" width="800px"><tr><td>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.gorman/banner.jpg

<center> Click here for the greeting! (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.gorman/in-out.wav)</center>

<center>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.gorman/moloko.jpg

<font size="+1">Horrorshow!</font></center>

</td></tr></table></center>

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 01:16 PM
- "- Revising weapons lethality and produced effects.
-- Revising damage model on some planes."
-

I hope he turns down the accuracy of the bomber gunner AI
I mean... the Ju 88 belly gunner scores an incredible number of kills on you if your not carefull and avoid
attacking from underneath. But all in all the bomber gunners are fantastic shots, too good for my liking !!

:-)

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 01:40 PM
M0NS wrote:
- Maybe you need more hits?
-
- S!
-
- M0NS
-

Maybe better hits too!

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/_uimages/TBolt.jpg

Zayets
07-02-2003, 01:50 PM
commie1 wrote:
- Try using rockets.
-
- One hit does the trick.
-
- Practice with unlimited ammo until you get the hang
- of it

That could be a very good advice if you don't become an addict of it. I did the same a year ago and when I was joining fights I found myself that I waste my ammo in few minutes. What was wrong , was the fact that i used too many shoots to correct the fire. Today , even if I'm far away from some guys when is about dogfight (especially RBJ), I found that I can resist that urge to open fire when I'm at .5 distance. I think this is really important. I always start fire from maximum .3 nowadays (my 8x50 in the Jug are calibrated like that). In the f4 I start firing at .2-.15 , you can fire for about a second when you reach this distance , then I have to break off. If I'm not capable of firing at the specified distance , then i'll abort the shot , although you may say that you've lost a helluva opportunity. That's life , sometimes you win nd sometimes you loose.And afterall is just a game , and a good one /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Zayets out

PS: regarding the original post.Don't be frustrated if you have to abort shooting , maneuvering to sve your arse will make you practice all those aerobatics. Even if shooting will take awhile to learn , maneuvering will be improved far faster.

http://www.emicad.nl/~justdoit/il2/logo.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 03:04 PM
start practising ground attacks in IL-2, then train against bombers, then against fighters. I remember when I first time shot down Stuka flying IL-2 in a single mission and I was quite happy /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

-------------

"The picture repeats itself when operations, which began with great intent and local successes, degenerated into senseless, wild hammering at fixed front-line positions once they encounter initial heavy losses and unforeseen situations. This incomprehensible phenomenon appears again and again. But, even in extremis, the Russian is never logical; he falls back on his natural instinct, and the nature of the Russian is to use mass, steamroller tactics, and adherence to given objectives without regard to changing situations."

German 9th Army report after repulsing the Soviet offensive "Mars" in Rzhev bulge, December 1942.

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 03:08 PM
try a 190A8 with the mk103 gunpods or the Yak 9K with the 45mm cannon .. if you hit it then its dead http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif))

more seriously ... practice shooting in QMB at half or quarter speed and replay the tracks from the enemy perspective to see where your shots are glancing off or missing, this will give you a lot of info on what is going wrong

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Set up a bunch of friendlies in QMB. Then get behind them and blast away. I been flying since IL2 hit the shelves and I like to do this at least once a month. You can learn a lot. How to manipulate your speed.ect ect ect. Then get fancy and dive at the friendly formations. After a while you will be at least a Marksman.

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Ok guys here it goes.

La-5f/7 I love to fly these two planes, but can kill with them.

Yak3 I love this agile little fool and it's speed. Once again, can't shoot down anyone.

Hurricane mk2b/c I hate flying these slow piles, but can kill with them.

I try to aim for 3 things depending on my approach angle. Engine, Pilot, Wings. I don't know what i'm doing wrong, but the trainer LIES. I unload 10 rounds into a wing or engine and the thing keeps trucking, the trainer fires 2 bullets into it and he's done lol. Here's another question for you:

What plane has the fire power of a mk2b/c (I like the guns) and the flying styles of a yak or la? I would love a happy medium.

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 08:14 PM
This was a big problem for me too.

I overcame the problem by flying with realistic gunnery diabled for a while.
That way I could see where I should be aiming as I could actually see the effect of my shooting.
Of course I began to take-out planes that way.
After a couple of weeks of flying like this I enabled realistic gunnery again and lo and behold found that my aiming had improved to the point that I am now an ACE! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif (JOKE)

Another thing you might want to try is changing the line that read ARCADE=0 to ARCADE=1 in your config.ini file in the FB folder.
This setting means that each time you hit an air-craft you can see where you have hit it by looking at a series of arrows protruding from the enemy plane. You can pause the game and use external views (ctrl +F2) to see the enemy up close and see exactly where you scored hits (or not).
You do need to bear in mind though that although some arrows will appear to show have penetrated the armour but in fact due to the distance you've fired from may have infact just bounced-off. Still you'll get an idea of how you are aiming.
The unfortunate side effect of the ARCADE setting is the silly thought bubbles emanating from the other planes.

The only other thing that will help you is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Good luck! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

S! Simon.
<center>

<font color="#000000">Do NOT discuss politics or religion - unless you are a politician or clergyman.</font>
http://extremeone.4t.com/images/sig.jpg
<a href ="http://www.extremepossibilities.co.uk" target ="blank">http://www.extremepossibilities.co.uk</a>

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 09:46 PM
any ideas on the plane that's a miz of the three i like?

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 10:54 PM
I've been thinking hard during my long boring day. If I learn to fly a p-39n will I be happy you think? The plane seems like a mix of the three I like. What about the p-47 why does that thing stall like a mad man, I love that plane. Just wish I could fly it better.

XyZspineZyX
07-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Try hitting the enemy the same place: engine only, left/right wing only, cockpit only etc - spraying your ammo all over is no good against armoured crates.

S!

M0NS

"Blow up the outside world"

http://www.flugwerk.de/images/01k.jpg
My garage!

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 12:30 AM
Set your convergence to 150 and shoot at that distance.
Don't sit on the target's six and shoot come from the side or top where you're shooting at a bigger target.

Open the conf.ini and change Arcade=0 to 1. This will show when you get hits.

Practice.

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<center>
http://home.comcast.net/~argylestransom/Pics/A10Bun.jpg

Are you all right Mr. Buttle?
</center>

XyZspineZyX
07-03-2003, 12:46 AM
ArmoredSaint wrote:
- I've been thinking hard during my long boring day.
- If I learn to fly a p-39n will I be happy you think?
- The plane seems like a mix of the three I like. What
- about the p-47 why does that thing stall like a mad
- man, I love that plane. Just wish I could fly it
- better.
-
-

The p39 is a "big cannon" plane with limited ammo for that big cannon. It is not going to be like the Hurricane which sprays bullets everywhere.

Planes with big cannons can remove an entire wing with one shot but you need to be more accurate or shoot from a lot closer or you will have no ammo very quickly.

All planes are changing in the new patch so it may be sensible to wait before deciding.