PDA

View Full Version : Oleg & 1C, why are you penalizing the Hellcat? Dirty Canopy!!

LuftLuver
11-18-2004, 09:24 PM
I thought surely you would remove this for the patch. Why oh why do you see fit to penalize this one aircraft?

Give the dirty glass to ALL, or NONE.

faustnik
11-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Yes, please clean the glass.

CV8_Dudeness
11-18-2004, 10:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuftLuver:
I thought surely you would remove this for the patch. Why oh why do you see fit to penalize this one aircraft?

Give the dirty glass to ALL, or NONE. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
did you also protest about the glass in Bf109's ?

no ?

then <span class="ev_code_RED">STFU</span>

Stiglr
11-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Well, it is tempting to say that, but it's not right in EITHER case.

All canopies should be cleaned up. No matter which air force they flew with.

Luftcaca
11-18-2004, 10:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CV8_Dudeness:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuftLuver:

no ?

then <span class="ev_code_RED">STFU</span> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow, how rude

but I agree the 109G6 and later models the galss becomes totally opaque when you get hit...rather annoying

VW-IceFire
11-18-2004, 10:45 PM
I think its supposed to be the same effect thats on the P-51...except the opacity is about 50% too high. Its a very odd effect.

pourshot
11-18-2004, 10:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CV8_Dudeness:

no ?

That is a bit harsh dont you think?

I never fly the 109 but if the glass looks as bad as the hellcats then it should be fixed also.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~andycarroll68/grab0005.jpg

x__CRASH__x
11-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Nothing is bad as the Hellcat. I've complained extensively about the 109 glass, since its my main ride. But its fallen on deaf ears. (At least the blast effect from the guns was taken care of! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

But the Hellcat is especially bad. Much worse than anything else in the game. The Plane Captain would be getting Captain's Mast for letting a plane leave the deck in that condition!

DarthBane_
11-19-2004, 01:02 AM
Maybe because hellcat pilots are known to be a persons with low higiene habits. Some of tham often piss while drive and therefore the plane has dirty glass and stinks bad. Imagine a plane that smells like dirty toilet while you sit or stand close to it. Remarcable detail! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Tater-SW-
11-19-2004, 02:21 AM
Yeah, I prefer my F4Fs, but the F6F is godawful in terms of glass. If any plane is this bad, particularly in the gunsight, it certainly needs a fix.

tater

ICDP
11-19-2004, 07:26 AM
Totally agree about this issue, we need a fix for this please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

On a side note the F6F now has combat flaps, which is nice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VF-29_Sandman
11-19-2004, 07:36 AM
that glass is so bad u can barely get a visual on a bandit at close range let alone 3k out. and the navy would keelhaul a crew member allowing their canopy to get even close to that condition. seems some1 needs a courts martial...then hung http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Willey
11-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Wasn't the yellow glass in 109 late (Erla canopy) fixed in AEP?

So I'd vote for clear view in F6F, too.

R_Mutt
11-19-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure I agree with the neccessity to "clean the glass".

This issue is more cosmetic than functional and I think I lean toward "dirty glass". All my time flying the 109 and short time flying the hellcat I've never been bothered by the effect and that's all it is, an effect. An effect that makes you realize you're not looking through a windowless frame in the cockpit. The first time I really noticed it on the Hellcat was last night in a mission diving down on a zero, I pulled up to follow it in a climb and my screen went from basically clear to what appeared, to me at least, a reflection of the sun producing a glare that lasted only a few seconds than disappeared as the angle to the sun did. Personally, I thought it was a great effect, an effect that can't happen without texturizing the glass.

I'm sure their is a happy medium somewhere here but I think people are making a bigger deal out of it than it should be. I can't say I've ever said while flying "I would have nailed that guy if it wasn't for this dirty window!!!!"

crazyivan1970
11-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Hi Mutt, you nice? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SeaFireLIV
11-19-2004, 09:47 AM
Is this really such a major issue? It is NOT. Sure, I`ve noticed the `yellow` effect on the screen, it does look as if the ground crew keep forgetting to properly clean the glass. But so what?

I`ve read many WWII stories where a pilot`s had to get by with less than a perfect aircraft, something`s always slightly wrong with the gears, or the stick or the engine performance, but Pilots lived with it and went to war with them.

To me it adds a certain realism.

Also, like R Mutt said, it`s really just cosmetic, aesthetic effect. It hasn`t stopped me shooting down enemy aircraft. So why the big deal over it?

In fact, more blemishes like this would add to the feeling of realism and the fact that these machines are maintained by HUMANS!

Tater-SW-
11-19-2004, 09:49 AM
It's a lot worse on the F6F than other planes. A little is fine by me, or randomize it when you spawn a plane so it varies, and for everyone. I think it might appear worse with certain vid cards, too, so it's hard to relate without some screen shots.

tater

faustnik
11-19-2004, 10:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Is this really such a major issue? It is NOT. Sure, I`ve noticed the `yellow` effect on the screen, it does look as if the ground crew keep forgetting to properly clean the glass. But so what?

I`ve read many WWII stories where a pilot`s had to get by with less than a perfect aircraft, something`s always slightly wrong with the gears, or the stick or the engine performance, but Pilots lived with it and went to war with them.

To me it adds a certain realism.

Also, like R Mutt said, it`s really just cosmetic, aesthetic effect. It hasn`t stopped me shooting down enemy aircraft. So why the big deal over it?

In fact, more blemishes like this would add to the feeling of realism and the fact that these machines are maintained by HUMANS! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On, my system, with my eyesight, it does make a difference. I don't fly the F6F much but, there might be others in situation who do, why unfairly penalize them? Leave some smudges on the glass for effect but, not to the level the F6F has now.

carguy_
11-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Sounds like someone recenty got owned and blames the canopy dirt... tsk tsk tsk.IMO all PTO planes should have something like this on their canopies due to the sea water and all.
The thing was on G6late canopy for a whole year but didn`t bother me..however I was impressed Oleg cleaned it for us becuz it`s not a big issue really.Kinda adds realism into the game IMO.Ofcourse you can question is the mechanic team so clumsy that they forget to clean the canopy considered a most basic doing.

So if you really want it you Yankwhiner,all planes can get it,I don`t care but I really think that should apply only to those planes serving at PTO.

t0n.
11-19-2004, 11:13 AM
I can't believe people are actually trying to argue in favor of the F6F's dried urine. It's laughable.

If we're going to have some planes flying in a condition thats completely unrealistic then, by all means, spread the BS evenly. Dirty all the canopies.

Russian's too now Oleg, lets be fair.

faustnik
11-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Are you callimg me a "yankwhiner"? That's funny. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Diablo310th
11-19-2004, 12:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Well, it is tempting to say that, but it's not right in EITHER case.

All canopies should be cleaned up. No matter which air force they flew with. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree...Oleg..please clean all the cockpit glass up.

SeaFireLIV
11-19-2004, 12:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by faustnik:
On, my system, with my eyesight, it does make a difference. I don't fly the F6F much but, there might be others in situation who do, why unfairly penalize them? . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was unaware that this could effect even limited optical vision. Perhaps, also the type of graphic card gives a more obstructive effect than I`m seeing. If that is indeed the case then you have a point...

Tater-SW-
11-19-2004, 12:22 PM
The sun angle makes a diff, too. Most times, it's dirty but no big deal, hit the right sun angle and it is far worse.

tater

Copperhead310th
11-19-2004, 02:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by faustnik:
On, my system, with my eyesight, it does make a difference. I don't fly the F6F much but, there might be others in situation who do, why unfairly penalize them? . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was unaware that this could effect even limited optical vision. Perhaps, also the type of graphic card gives a more obstructive effect than I`m seeing. If that is indeed the case then you have a point... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've got some pretty old fartz in our group and they have hard enough time seeing out of a clean windscreen! lol
So yes this does impair ppls vision who have less than perfect eye sight. for that reason alone they should be fixed. (that and it's just plane butt ugly) Considering the AVERAGE age of the flight sim player to be between 25 to 60....
wich is a pretty wide age range.... i think it would be good to clean them up. ALL of them.

ZG77_Nagual
11-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Virtually all hellcat cockpits were stained by repeated vomiting. Hellcat pilots would eat huge meals often infested with tropical bacteria before long flights and repeatedly and contiuously vomit all over their windscreens. They would also frequently lose control of their bowels and the resultand fetid deposits combined with heat, exhaust fumes and relentless tropical sun to form a polymer like coating on the hellcat's windscreen that had to be chipped off by grossed out ground crews wearing gas masks. After awhile the smell alone was enough to make pilots and ground crews alike spew like frightened vultures. It was disgusting. Why do you think they called it the hell-cat? The thing smelled like a rank cat box from hell.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Will this be one of the changes mentioned for the next "patch"? (hoping...)

Freycinet
11-19-2004, 10:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZG77_Nagual:
Virtually all hellcat cockpits were stained by repeated vomiting. Hellcat pilots would eat huge meals often infested with tropical bacteria before long flights and repeatedly and contiuously vomit all over their windscreens. They would also frequently lose control of their bowels and the resultand fetid deposits combined with heat, exhaust fumes and relentless tropical sun to form a polymer like coating on the hellcat's windscreen that had to be chipped off by grossed out ground crews wearing gas masks. After awhile the smell alone was enough to make pilots and ground crews alike spew like frightened vultures. It was disgusting. Why do you think they called it the hell-cat? The thing smelled like a rank cat box from hell. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Main reason I do not fly the Hellcat is because of this. Its not the fact that I cant see but more so that it is poorly done and looks like total ****. Thats more annoying to me then anything.

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-19-2004, 10:58 PM
I cant say c r a p ??? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-19-2004, 11:01 PM

no ?

Colorfull http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

BigKahuna_GS
11-20-2004, 06:52 PM
S!

I am not sure if the Hellcat canopy is dirty or if it is sun glare and reflections.

I am sure that it is overdone and is comparible to sitting
inside old mustard bottle and trying to see out.

___

BlitzPig_DDT
11-20-2004, 07:42 PM
It's not only overdone (regardless of what it is), it's one of the few planes that seems to have it. There is no such effect that I can see at 10x7x32 2xAA 2xAniso with a GF4Ti4200 and 66.93s, in the F4U, Yaks, Las, P-400, P-47D-27, Me-262, Go-229 and others.

It's better simply not having it at all, or making it a user selectable option. It should increase frame rate a bit to not have it, and it would stop penalizing some planes over others, and it would be only fair given how we are locked in place and unable to look around struts and whatnot.

effte
11-21-2004, 03:10 AM
Those who have been around fighters out in the real world, outside of the internet forums where most of us live (those from Sweden will get the joke), know that canopies are maintained and cleaned religiously.

Even if standards of maintenance vary, this is one items that the pilots will pester their ground crews enough about to make sure it gets done.

LuftLuver
11-21-2004, 03:56 AM
http://www.spear.navy.mil/gw/Photo_WS_4B.jpg