PDA

View Full Version : GRAW installs never defrag well!!!

Six_Gun
07-06-2007, 02:29 AM
I own GRAW and just downloaded and installed the GRAW 2 SP demo. Both installs would not defrag with the Windows defrag utility. I had to download a trial version of a decent defrag tool just to defrag and compact GRAW, now it appears I'll have to do the same with the GRAW 2 demo.

I know the Windows defrag utility is not exactly state of the art, but this is the only game that I have this problem with out of the 60+ games I own. What the heck is it with this game that makes it install so crappy? This is a hassle, you shouldn't have to have 3rd party software just to defrag a game install.

Six_Gun
07-06-2007, 02:29 AM
I own GRAW and just downloaded and installed the GRAW 2 SP demo. Both installs would not defrag with the Windows defrag utility. I had to download a trial version of a decent defrag tool just to defrag and compact GRAW, now it appears I'll have to do the same with the GRAW 2 demo.

I know the Windows defrag utility is not exactly state of the art, but this is the only game that I have this problem with out of the 60+ games I own. What the heck is it with this game that makes it install so crappy? This is a hassle, you shouldn't have to have 3rd party software just to defrag a game install.

gersson
07-06-2007, 08:41 AM
huge single files need a lot of GB for defrag so you may not have a huge amount enough of empty space to get it to work correctly.

ThumperDFN
07-06-2007, 11:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Six_Gun:

I know the Windows defrag utility is not exactly state of the art, but this is the only game that I have this problem with out of the 60+ games I own. What the heck is it with this game that makes it install so crappy? This is a hassle, you shouldn't have to have 3rd party software just to defrag a game install. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can get a copy of Diskeeper or a copy of Norton System Works (has Speed Disk), those apps are very good at defragging a hard drive.

Six_Gun
07-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Lack of space isn't the problem gersson, I have 2 74GB Raptors and the one I installed it on still has 20GB free space after the install. In fact as a rule of thumb I never exceed 85% of the drive's actual capacity for good defragging as per Window's recommendation. I also have a 4 GB swap file.

Thanks for the tip Thumper, I did read of many liking Diskeeper, but I stay away from anything Norton. The defrag utility that was raved about most in my research was O&O, which is the one I used a trial verion of last time. It does a good job and is pretty fast.

Since that trial period had ended I started looking elsewhere. To my delight after trying DirmS again (just a shell app that uses the Windows defrag and sucks) I found an old freeware version of O&O called O&O Defrag 2000 Free. It works with XP but is not quite as thorough as O&O's current version. I ran it twice, checked with the Windows defrag, and all is good now.

Don't you just love games that have such lousy installers you have to take up preciouis drive space with a 3rd party defrag tool just to install them right? This defrag tool will probably sit there not getting used for the most part too as this is the only game I have this problem with.

I was up so late last night dealing with hunting for a defrag tool after the huge demo download that I haven't had time to play it yet. At least it looks loads better and sounds to have better working AI though. I just hope by their next title they'll have learned how to package a good installer. I'm expecting the same problem with the full retail version only worse of course due to the huge file size.