PDA

View Full Version : MS Force Feedback 2: Silver vs. Red

FlyingColander
11-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone. I'm an another lurker has finally come out of the shadows to gear up. I've been impressed with the esprit de corps and generosity on the forums.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows what are the differences between the two final iterations of Microsoft's Force Feedback 2 joystick?

Apparently, the joystick with the red trigger and red pivot ball is rarer and more highly prized. On what grounds precisely? Better firmware? Better parts?

I've Googled without success. I'm hoping that some of you might enlighten me before I jump into an Ebay bidding war.

Cheers,

Flying Colander

FlyingColander
11-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone. I'm an another lurker has finally come out of the shadows to gear up. I've been impressed with the esprit de corps and generosity on the forums.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows what are the differences between the two final iterations of Microsoft's Force Feedback 2 joystick?

Apparently, the joystick with the red trigger and red pivot ball is rarer and more highly prized. On what grounds precisely? Better firmware? Better parts?

I've Googled without success. I'm hoping that some of you might enlighten me before I jump into an Ebay bidding war.

Cheers,

Flying Colander

Bearcat99
11-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I believe it is the firmware... the red button ones work better with XP.. some of the older ones dont do well in XP. Althopugh I have both and they both work in XP for me.. I have heard of others who had issues.

leitmotiv
11-11-2007, 06:38 PM
I always wondered about this because I have a stash of ones without the red trigger, and they work fantastically with XP, and all my sims. Thanks for the clarification, BC.

Bula
11-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I've got both - the silver was purchased new from a CompUSA way back when and is now my backup, the mint-condition red came via an e-bay bid war. There is a physical difference between the two, beside the color: the grip on the red is a rubbery plastic, whereas the grip on the silver is hard plastic. I'm not sure this holds true of all silvers and reds, but it's true of the two I have. The red grip is more pleasant to use, but the silver grip is easier to clean.

Good luck finding either in decent shape without forking over a bundle.

major_setback
11-12-2007, 03:53 AM
The older silver one worked better for me except for some excessive forces (turbulence and gunshake). The feel of the stick was much better than the red one, though differences are only marginal. I find the later stick a bit too heavy when it's deflected a short way, the older one was easier to move in a tight dogfight. This could be explained by wear and tear on the old stick though.

Having trouble with FF disengaging all the time at the moment (mid flight) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif.

FlyingColander
11-13-2007, 04:24 AM
Thanks for your help everyone. I'm off to lose my shirt on Ebay...

Flying Colander

JG6_Oddball
11-13-2007, 05:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:

Having trouble with FF disengaging all the time at the moment (mid flight) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that happens to me sometimes, but not inflight..just with the 190, I unplug USB (while ingame) and plug back in and it comes back to life..is that what you are doing?

Divine-Wind
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
For some reason whenever I alt-tab out or minimize Il-2 my FFB is p0rked... (As in it doesn't work) Really annoying when someone comes along and says they need to see something on my computer when I'm flying.

dtk419
11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Good Luck Bid Flying Colander,

I just purchased two MSFF2's on Ebay two weeks ago. One was in the 60s$ and the over just under 90s$. My first stick, three yrs old,
the trigger started sticking, so I paniced and bid on two more. (four total on hand)
Look for Model#s X08-58736 for the last one produced, or X05-????? for the previous addition. Again good luck bidding, try bidding with 9 seconds to go.

Pooka

major_setback
11-14-2007, 01:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG6_Oddball:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:

Having trouble with FF disengaging all the time at the moment (mid flight) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that happens to me sometimes, but not inflight..just with the 190, I unplug USB (while ingame) and plug back in and it comes back to life..is that what you are doing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to get the occasional lack of FF, which would fix itself if I changed planes a few times back and forth, but this is different, It's happening a lot.
Also I never used to have to use the Sidewinder contol panel to test the forces before every flight. Now there is no FF at all unless I do that.
I've tried unplugging the USB connection but that is only a temporary fix, it comes back again.
It started after I installed a new Nvidea driver (problems occured when uninstalling the old one actually, when I uninstalled all Nvidea drivers inc' chipset) and then ran a driver cleaner (again, removing all Nvidea drivers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif).

funkster319
11-14-2007, 08:29 AM
I got my red ball one for just 15 from a GAME shop here in the UK...about 1 yrs ago. Brand new end of stock!

Little did I know how treasured they are...almost never bought it!

MOH_MADMAN
11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
ive got a few of each, and my impression is that the silver trigger/ball model had slightly better quality buttons/hat/throttle and a slightly heavier feel. since going XP i have nto been able to use the msffb software to record profiles, and have to go with default.

MAD