PDA

View Full Version : Win one for the Pipper

Spad_13
08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Ok, another stoopid question. When I set the "cockpit" screen to external, I have a big circle, and a small circle. The small circle moves here and there and everywhere.

Now I've read up some on actual gunsights and understand that this was to compensate for a moving enemy plane (deflection shot). But without a hand holdable user's manual, I can't figure out how to use this. Do I shoot when the small circle is on the target? Do I try to maneuver the plane so the small circle is in the center of the big circle? Or do I say, aw, what the heck and just blast away with all I've got in the general direction of the enemy plane? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Geez, I wish somebody'd make an illustrated manual for this game. It is so cool, but I think I'm using only 99.9% of its capability.

And I've yet to land a plane without tearing off, crushing, bending or demolishing the landing gear!

Spad_13
08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Ok, another stoopid question. When I set the "cockpit" screen to external, I have a big circle, and a small circle. The small circle moves here and there and everywhere.

Now I've read up some on actual gunsights and understand that this was to compensate for a moving enemy plane (deflection shot). But without a hand holdable user's manual, I can't figure out how to use this. Do I shoot when the small circle is on the target? Do I try to maneuver the plane so the small circle is in the center of the big circle? Or do I say, aw, what the heck and just blast away with all I've got in the general direction of the enemy plane? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Geez, I wish somebody'd make an illustrated manual for this game. It is so cool, but I think I'm using only 99.9% of its capability.

And I've yet to land a plane without tearing off, crushing, bending or demolishing the landing gear!

berg417448
08-27-2008, 07:53 PM
That is a velocity vector indicator and is useful for making landings on aircraft carriers as it shows you where the plane is actually going.It has nothing to do with shooting.

avolopoT
08-27-2008, 08:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by berg417448:
That is a velocity vector indicator and is useful for making landings on aircraft carriers as it shows you where the plane is actually going.It has nothing to do with shooting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

berg417448
08-27-2008, 08:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by avolopoT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by berg417448:
That is a velocity vector indicator and is useful for making landings on aircraft carriers as it shows you where the plane is actually going.It has nothing to do with shooting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do a forum search for the term "velocity vector indicator".

WTE_Ibis
08-27-2008, 10:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by berg417448:
That is a velocity vector indicator and is useful for making landings on aircraft carriers as it shows you where the plane is actually going.It has nothing to do with shooting.
==============================================

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//FoxNewsWhat.jpg

avolopoT
08-27-2008, 10:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by avolopoT:

What? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do a forum search for the term "velocity vector indicator". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

search done...it's still vague in terms of a WW2 fighter. I note that the term was described as a game feature that is 'non-historical' - much the same as the HUD view itself I suppose.

The thing about it is it appears irrelevant: firstly, it can't take the place of your brain, sight and judgement in adequate visibility conditions because one still knows out of the corner of one's eye where the aircraft is heading. One does not have a vital need for a VVI.
Secondly, in no or low visibility conditions, it has no pragmatic use in instrument flying: the pilot may not comprehend by this instrument alone whether one is upside down or not, or perhps unclearly it may indicate if the aircraft is diving or climbing - however, things like the engine sound is more reliable in those cases.
Thirdly, it confuses the terms as they are used in physics. A 'vector' in physics is a mathematical term; so is 'velocity'. Putting the two together ought to describe 'acceleration in this direction' (vector: 'direction that turns speed into velocity; and 'velocity: 'speed along a direction'...
Besides the misnomer it creates, the device clearly does not function by the physics terms in which it is described but in other terms that you describe (landing aid etc). This is alright; it's intelligible. However, in a WW2 aircraft cockpit the best indicator for the function described is your eyes first then your IAS second.

I, personally would not use it to land on a carrier. Just my view.

berg417448
08-27-2008, 10:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:
quote:
Originally posted by berg417448:
==============================================

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the Pacific Fighters 3.0 Read Me file:

"How to land on an aircraft carrier

First and foremost, come in from the stern (i.e. from behind).

In order to make it easier to learn, we've included a non-historical helper feature that may be useful for people who otherwise find it difficult to land on the carrier.

If you turn off the 3D cockpit (Shift-F1 by default, with "No Cockpit" set to On in the Difficulty section), you will see an extra reticle floating around the virtual cockpit. When landing, try to keep decreasing your airspeed, and keep the reticle on the centerline of the carrier deck, at about 1/5th of the total length away from the stern. In other words, this reticle shows you the direction of your speed vector, and the landing angle should be about twice as shallow as when landing on a land strip."

avolopoT
08-27-2008, 11:26 PM
AaH...I see!: an Acceleration Vector Indicator!

but that is a misnomer also for we have acceleration due to gravity at 9/82mss but we have vectors to be added vertically for lift and horizontally for thrust plus vectors to be subtracted horizontally and vertically such as drag and mass. All these vectors would assist to define the parameters of a 'flight path'.

Therefore, a so-called VVI could have been more correctly called a 'Terminal Flight Path Indicator' but that could also be construed as a 'crash into the ground'!

No...the best that can be done is to call it a 'Flight Path Termination Indicator'.

No wonder good pilots get kicked off this forum.

K_Freddie
08-28-2008, 07:17 AM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hmmm!! not exactly, most probably your velocity direction vector resulting from accelleration vectors.
Your accelleration besides G, is directly through the gunsight.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Spad_13
08-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks! I thought it was some kind of setup where the one dot showed where your nose was pointing, and the other where you had to aim to hit the plane.

I usually use the cockpit gunsight anyway, but I'm trying to figure the ins and outs of this game.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-28-2008, 11:42 AM

but that is a misnomer also for we have acceleration due to gravity at 9/82mss but we have vectors to be added vertically for lift and horizontally for thrust plus vectors to be subtracted horizontally and vertically such as drag and mass. All these vectors would assist to define the parameters of a 'flight path'.

Therefore, a so-called VVI could have been more correctly called a 'Terminal Flight Path Indicator' but that could also be construed as a 'crash into the ground'!

No...the best that can be done is to call it a 'Flight Path Termination Indicator'.

No wonder good pilots get kicked off this forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, good pilots are not kicked off this forum, just hosers who can't understand a simple direction indicator and has to play semantics with physics terms in order to hide their lack of intelligence. Let me see if I can make this easy to understand for you, the big stationary crosshair shows where the nose of the plane is pointing, the little moving thing shows the directing the plane is actually traveling in.

Post count is usually unimportant but when you have less than ten posts I would refrain from casting disparaging remarks about the forum you just joined.

nahsarK
08-28-2008, 07:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:

No wonder good pilots get kicked off this forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, good pilots are not kicked off this forum, just hosers who can't understand a simple direction indicator and has to play semantics with physics terms in order to hide their lack of intelligence. Let me see if I can make this easy to understand for you, the big stationary crosshair shows where the nose of the plane is pointing, the little moving thing shows the directing the plane is actually traveling in.

Post count is usually unimportant but when you have less than ten posts I would refrain from casting disparaging remarks about the forum you just joined. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry you're wrong. Have a look at the instrument panel of an advanced aircraft sometime. There you will find such things as a Glide Path Indicator (try helicopters for that especially). avolopoT was just following standard nomenclature. Sorry you didn't know about such things before you tried to incorrectly correct someone who knows.
BTW, isn't some of your post disparaging enough to be called trolling; even perhaps harassing? This seems like poor form for a forum 'moderator'.