PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions on Flak..

Aragorn87
06-01-2007, 03:54 AM
First, when can i get the Flakvierling for my type VIIC. Im in 43 and its not available yet? Also i need to have the configuration with the 2 light and 1 heavy emplacement? Also, does it make a difference if you have 1 trained flak gunner and the rest seamen or all trained flak gunners if either way the bar in the flak section is full? I mean will only the gun with the flak guy do good and the others poor or does it not matter as long as you have that bar filled?

Aragorn87
06-01-2007, 03:54 AM
First, when can i get the Flakvierling for my type VIIC. Im in 43 and its not available yet? Also i need to have the configuration with the 2 light and 1 heavy emplacement? Also, does it make a difference if you have 1 trained flak gunner and the rest seamen or all trained flak gunners if either way the bar in the flak section is full? I mean will only the gun with the flak guy do good and the others poor or does it not matter as long as you have that bar filled?

scott_voodoo
06-01-2007, 04:46 AM
As far as i know, there a better shot if the are a trained flak gunner. so you want them all trained flak gunners to get maximum out of the gun.

klcarroll
06-01-2007, 06:23 AM
If you are serious about making your AA effort as effective as possible, ..Do the following:

1) Make sure ALL your gunners carry an "AA" qualification.
2) Make sure your Watch Officer carries both the "AA" qualification AND the "Watch" qualification. (The star emblem.)
3) BURY ALL OF THEM IN DECORATIONS AND PROMOTIONS!!!

If you follow these steps, you will be amazed at their accuracy and speed!

Messervy
06-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Indeed. That way they will all develop a Socko syndrome!

klcarroll
06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Indeed. That way they will all develop a Socko syndrome! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even truer than you think!!

On "The Ruptured Duck" (U-150), both of my AA gunners AND the Watch Officer are promoted to the max, and are carrying all "the brass" up to and including the KC.

Not only are they "Socko Deadly", ....but when the "Fire At Will" option is selected, they have absolutely no compunction about shooting down the "Tonnage Thieves"!!!! (....otherwise known as "The Luftwaffe".)

.....Those JU-88s really turn into fireballs!! (I suppose someone should mention that to Herman.)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q84/klcarroll/yeetduck.jpg

Stingray-65
06-01-2007, 10:40 AM
klcarroll & Messervy are dead on. My flak gunners used to be about useless until I got them all qualified, promoted & decorated. Now they're certified killers!

PavelKirilovich
06-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I am one week into 1944. In late 1943 you can procure the 20mm Flakvierling for the Type VIIC/3 tower as the heavy mount, as well as a single-barrel 37mm which is very effective. Edit: The 20mm 4-barrel is available with the Type VIIC/3 tower, to my knowledge. So if you can't access any heavy mounts, it's because you've the wrong tower type.

Regarding FlaK: If your watch officer is FlaK qual'd you'll be fine. As has already been said, promote and decorate your FlaK gun crews, and ensure they're all qualified gunners. On the larger pieces that require two or more gunners, regular seamen will get the job done if your FlaK gunners are already busy on the single mounts.

C/38 is superior to C/30. Much more ammunition ready in a magazine (80 rounds) compared to 40 in the C/30 twinmount 20mm. C/38s alone on my "Wintergarden" tower do the trick nicely.

Be warned: VIIC/3 tower might make your boat "too tall" to hide effectively in somewhat rough weather when attacking / evading. Your tower may "broach" the surface. Be aware of this possibility if you do upgrade.

FlaK tactics: Man the guns, but when under intensive attack by enemy aircraft such as Catalinas or Short Sunderlands, go to Ahead Full and turn TOWARDS the enemy. They may not bomb you, which will increase your liklihood of surviving. Then your aft-mounted guns can rip them apart as they attempt to fly over you.

Aragorn87
06-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the advice.