PDA

View Full Version : "Transit" connection for gunners on bobmbers during online play

LynX_SPb
08-25-2006, 06:14 AM
It is sad what i can fly with "alive" gunners only in "private" missions (such as some projects like VEF, ... etc), and cant join il-2 gameserver "on the fly" (dogfight servers for example) with another player as ur gunner.

I think the one reason coz it was not implemented was traffic consumed by gunners, which ones "play" very secondary role in a flight, but consume same amount of traffic like pilots.

"Transit connection" i think can be solution in this case. I mean Gunner(s!) connect to private host ("pilot") and then private host connect to il-2 dogfight gameserver with his "crew" so in online play on dogfight server he acts and consumes traffic as one client, but bomber gunners managed by clients who connected to his private server.

Also i have problems to attract new ppl to play il-2, single campaigns and multiplayer with low number of players is not enough... The best way to do it - take them to cyber-cafe and fly with them as a gunners on dogfight servers to fully experience online play... "Transit" connection can make this possible.

"Transit" connection can be very nice feature to il-2 which prolong his life considerably.

I would like any improvements to il-2, coz i'll DONT buy BoB until it would have Eastern fronts addons, and i suspect i will have LONG time to w8, and probably for ANOTHER sim.

LynX_SPb
08-25-2006, 06:14 AM
It is sad what i can fly with "alive" gunners only in "private" missions (such as some projects like VEF, ... etc), and cant join il-2 gameserver "on the fly" (dogfight servers for example) with another player as ur gunner.

I think the one reason coz it was not implemented was traffic consumed by gunners, which ones "play" very secondary role in a flight, but consume same amount of traffic like pilots.

"Transit connection" i think can be solution in this case. I mean Gunner(s!) connect to private host ("pilot") and then private host connect to il-2 dogfight gameserver with his "crew" so in online play on dogfight server he acts and consumes traffic as one client, but bomber gunners managed by clients who connected to his private server.

Also i have problems to attract new ppl to play il-2, single campaigns and multiplayer with low number of players is not enough... The best way to do it - take them to cyber-cafe and fly with them as a gunners on dogfight servers to fully experience online play... "Transit" connection can make this possible.

"Transit" connection can be very nice feature to il-2 which prolong his life considerably.

I would like any improvements to il-2, coz i'll DONT buy BoB until it would have Eastern fronts addons, and i suspect i will have LONG time to w8, and probably for ANOTHER sim.

WB_Outlaw
08-25-2006, 10:19 PM
There is no technical reason why live gunners aren't allowed in dedicated servers. A player is a player no matter which direction he's facing. It was most likely a man power and time issue on the development which kept live gunners out of the dedicated server.

Setting up a pilot to server as a host to gunner would require that the pilot setup his network to act as a host. Many find that exceedingly difficult and many of those would be quite vocal about the problem.

--Outlaw.