PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Help

Huxley_S
02-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Need some advice on flying the Hurri.

My main problems are these:

1. Engine stops during dogfights... sometimes I can get it started again. Sometimes not. Why is this and what is the best way to stop it from happening?

2. Hurricane stalls and spins during simple manuevers.

3. Pointing the Hurricanes nose towards the ground causes the Revs to drop suddenly... often causing 2 (above).

4. AI controlled Hurricanes seem to have more Flap settings than me. I can see them on the runway with their flaps partly deployed... but when I press the lower flaps button they go all the way to fully deployed for landing. What's going on there?

Thanks.

Huxley_S
02-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Need some advice on flying the Hurri.

My main problems are these:

1. Engine stops during dogfights... sometimes I can get it started again. Sometimes not. Why is this and what is the best way to stop it from happening?

2. Hurricane stalls and spins during simple manuevers.

3. Pointing the Hurricanes nose towards the ground causes the Revs to drop suddenly... often causing 2 (above).

4. AI controlled Hurricanes seem to have more Flap settings than me. I can see them on the runway with their flaps partly deployed... but when I press the lower flaps button they go all the way to fully deployed for landing. What's going on there?

Thanks.

NegativeGee
02-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Lets see......

I guess you are using the Mk. I. If so:

1) This is due to negative-g when nosing down causing the fuel flow (via the gravity carburetor) to cut out. To avoid, use a half roll if you wish to suddenly dive, turning onto your back, pulling "up" (ie. nose down towards the ground) and completing with another half roll once the desired dive angle has been achieved. Basically, keep the plane under positive-g at and this won't happen. If the engine cuts out completely, dive to gain some airspeed (if going slow) and they try to restart your engine. NB. the IIb and c models have fuel injection, so this is not an issue in these versions.

2) Avoid sudden, sharp manuovers with the Hurricane. Apply stick forces gradually to avoid stalls, and the resultant spins.

3) See (1)

4) This is how the player flap settings on the hurricane have been defined: you have only the Landing setting. To get around this assign the flaps to a slider or rotation axis of some form (depending on what type of stick you have).

Theres something for starters, no doubt some other forum members will have tips too http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

http://www.invoman.com/images/tali_with_hands.jpg

Look Noobie, we already told you, we don't have the Patch!

LEXX_Luthor
02-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Carberator with negative gee causes Hurri engine to cut off, sometimes it takes a while for engine to start.

Its worse with the I-16 and I-153 because for them you have to be moving at about ~200km/hr or faster to re-start engine. This explains why you or AI can't start engines of these two planes on the ground except at official FB airports.

you will still have FB , you will lose nothing ~WUAF_Badsight

EPP-Gibbs
02-01-2004, 07:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NegativeGee:
NB. the IIb and c models have fuel injection, so this is not an issue in these versions.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think they were ever injected. Merlins were always carb-fed. What they did do was cure the neg-G problem by modification initially, and then later by using a Stromberg Carb which was immune to the effect.

If I had all the money I'd spent on drink..I'd spend it on drink!