PDA

View Full Version : BUG?

Christos_swc
08-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm playing Forgotten Battles patched to v1.21.
I was flying in a campaign with a FW190 A5 and was loaded with one 250KG and four 50kg bombs.
I threw them on target and proceeded to dogfight with a Yak 1.
Amazingly the 190 felt as sluggish as if it were still carrying the bombs.
I checked it out in QMB and got the same results.
I could climb loaded with bombs at about 20 degree angle at around 248Km/h and when I dropped the bombs I noticed no improvement in climbing speed.
When I flew with no bombs I could climb at around 265+.
Do you know something about this?
It's screwing up my experience with the game since I'd like to fly the 190 to a bombing mission and then dogfight to get some kills if there's anyone around and it doesn't seem to work as it should.
It appears as if the game engine does not monitor wether I'm still carrying the ordnance or not. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Christos_swc
08-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm playing Forgotten Battles patched to v1.21.
I was flying in a campaign with a FW190 A5 and was loaded with one 250KG and four 50kg bombs.
I threw them on target and proceeded to dogfight with a Yak 1.
Amazingly the 190 felt as sluggish as if it were still carrying the bombs.
I checked it out in QMB and got the same results.
I could climb loaded with bombs at about 20 degree angle at around 248Km/h and when I dropped the bombs I noticed no improvement in climbing speed.
When I flew with no bombs I could climb at around 265+.
Do you know something about this?
It's screwing up my experience with the game since I'd like to fly the 190 to a bombing mission and then dogfight to get some kills if there's anyone around and it doesn't seem to work as it should.
It appears as if the game engine does not monitor wether I'm still carrying the ordnance or not. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

plumps_
08-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Never fly too slowly in a FW-190, especially when you're fighting Yaks. Try the same at 380 km/h and 5 m/s climb speed. You'll notice that the climb speed will rise when the bombs are gone.

You're playing with unlimited ammo switched off, are you?

Christos_swc
08-16-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm flying with unlimited ammo switched off.
It's not to do with my fighting tactics.
Actually I had an energy advantage and blew him to bits.
Still I stalled one too many times during the engagement which I do not normally do, even in the 190.
I noticed the aircraft was very very sluggish and climb speed was below par so I checked it out in QMB as I said and it appears there's a problem with the game engine.
Can someone else try it?

VF-29_Sandman
08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
u say ur using v1.21...ummm, latest patch is 4.01. ya behind the curve in patches mon

Christos_swc
08-16-2005, 03:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VF-29_Sandman:
u say ur using v1.21...ummm, latest patch is 4.01. ya behind the curve in patches mon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think v1.22 is the latest for Forgotten Battles.
Not sure though.

NorrisMcWhirter
08-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi,

There was a crippling bug with the FW190 (when isn't there?) where the handling and speed loss prior to expending your bomb load was the same as afterwards.

I can't remember whether it was in v1.21 - it may have been later - but there certainly was an issue at one time. There were some posts in ORR about it but whether they still exist or not is another matter.

Ta,
Norris

Christos_swc
08-16-2005, 03:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NorrisMcWhirter:
Hi,

There was a crippling bug with the FW190 (when isn't there?) where the handling and speed loss prior to expending your bomb load was the same as afterwards.

I can't remember whether it was in v1.21 - it may have been later - but there certainly was an issue at one time. There were some posts in ORR about it but whether they still exist or not is another matter.

Ta,
Norris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I 'm sure it's a bug after some more testing.
I created a mission in Mission builder were I toook off in an A5.
I went full throttle, WEP on, then after a while release dthe brakes and accelerated down the runway reaching some 307 Km at the end.
Retried with bomb load.
Emptied bomb load on the runway (invulnerable) and followed the same procedure.
Only reached a speed of some 280-284 I don't remember exactly.
I wish the mods will say if the latest patch which I think is 1.22 has resolved this mutter or not although I didn't see it in the read me.
I'll probably download it tommorow anyway and try it out.
Slow 56k here.

plumps_
08-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Your tests probably were not very accurate. I repeated them in 1.21, 1.22 and 4.01. What I found in all three versions is that you will accelerate faster if you drop the bombs. But you won't accelerate as fast as in a plane loaded with default armament.

The reason ist the additional drag and weight from the bomb rack. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

The speed I reached at the end of the runway was something like:
260 km/h with bombs
280 km/h with bombs dropped before accelerating
290 km/h with default armament

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Christos_swc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VF-29_Sandman:
u say ur using v1.21...ummm, latest patch is 4.01. ya behind the curve in patches mon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think v1.22 is the latest for Forgotten Battles.
Not sure though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>1.21 was released in December 2003, 1.22 in January 2004. The current versions still are updates for Forgotten Battles, although they require AEP and PF to be installed. BTW you don't need to download the patches for FB if you install AEP, and you don't need to download the patches for AEP if you install PF over FB/AEP.