PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X52 calibration issue

crucislancer
12-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I've had my X52 for about a week now, and up until today it was working great, no issues. Today, it started going out of calibration, pulling to the left. I unplugged it, and it worked fine after that. Then, just now it did the same thing, but I had to unplug it a couple of times before it corrected itself.

Anyone have this problem? I'm hoping I didn't get a bad stick.

crucislancer
12-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I've had my X52 for about a week now, and up until today it was working great, no issues. Today, it started going out of calibration, pulling to the left. I unplugged it, and it worked fine after that. Then, just now it did the same thing, but I had to unplug it a couple of times before it corrected itself.

Anyone have this problem? I'm hoping I didn't get a bad stick.

Waldo.Pepper
12-26-2007, 11:59 PM
So far you have done the correct thing. I have had this happen twice in a year. All I have needed to do was to unplug the stick side and plug it in again. Easy peasy.

Watch out for the following. If you notice that the LED lights on the stick side are flickering, in my experience this means that the plug on the stick is loose. Make sure that there is plenty of slack for this cord. This loose cord will also be a possible cause of the calibration issue.

Like I mentioned, this shouldn't be a common deal. Once or twice a year.

crucislancer
12-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Hmmm.... Then I might have a problem, then. It's happening quite a bit to me. The first thing I checked after booting up the computer was the stick calibration, and it was off again. Unplugging it work, but I'll give it a good workout in a minute and see where it leads.

Codex1971
12-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Some things to check with the X52's.

- Try to avoid using a USB hub, this is known to cause erratic behaviour on the X52.

- Make sure your using the correct drivers.
http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=11552

Although they are still at the Beta stage since May 07, they are the latest drivers and appear to fix many problems, especially for Vista32/64.

- Try and do registry clean out:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Unplug the controller, click Start&gt;Run, type regedit and click OK. In the Registry Editor browse to the following folders in order:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
MediaProperties
PrivateProperties
DirectInput

And delete the VID_06A3&PID_0255 folder (or VID_06A3&PID_075C). Plug the controller back in, rotate and twist the stick fully a couple of times and see if that has fixed it.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

crucislancer
12-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks, Codex1971!

With the exception of the latest drivers (just now downloaded) I've tried that. I don't use a hub, and I did the registry thing last night. I think I have an idea what the problem is. The cable from throttle to stick is a bit loose on the stick side, reinserting it firmly seems to have done the trick. I played an offline mission and didn't have any issues, and it was still calibrated when I was finished.

I'm just hoping that it doesn't get worse. I may have to exchange it, which is always a hassle.

crucislancer
12-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Well, I'm thinking I might have to exchange it after all. The new drivers didn't correct any issues, unfortunately. It seems the problem is in the roll axis, and at it's worst I can't get full deflection on a right-hand roll. Bummer.

dbillo
12-27-2007, 10:11 AM
My X-52 is now over a year old, and it is a replacement stick for the first one, which had the 'dead zone' issue. Just recently (last few months) it has started doing what you describe, although for me it is a right aileron deflection.

It comes and goes randomly, usually just a tiny deflection, maybe a little twitching, but a few times, it has developed into a sudden, full right deflection.

Once in a while, it has also limited the left stick movement as well. Unplugging the stick cable always fixes it, however, the fix can last anywhere from a few seconds to a few hours or days, then it will recur.

So far, it is only an annoyance. Yes, I have it plugged into a hub (part of Dell monitor), and no I have not upgraded the drivers, as I heard there were problems with the newer ones.

I seem to recall reading an article somewhere about someone reglueing some sensors in their stick, that had come loose, but I'm not even sure if that was an X-52, X-45, or some other model. Ring any bells?

crucislancer
12-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah, that's exactly what's happening to me, even down to the fix only working for as little as a couple of minutes to the rest of the day.

Have you made any changes on your computer recently? Added any hardware, particularly USB devices? Do you unplug you X52 on a regular basis?

The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if there are some conflicts happening. My stick was working fine, no issues what so ever, and then on Tuesday I had the problem. But, also on Tuesday, before I used the stick, I had plugged in two new MP3 players, both different makes. Then last night it was a digital camera. I'm wondering if this might be causing an issue. Also, I unplug my stick so my little kids and their manner-less friends don't get their hands on them.

I'll be testing that over the weekend, as well as testing it on my brother's computer, who has the same model PC. If that doesn't work I'm off to Circuit City to exchange it and hope for the best.

VW-IceFire
12-27-2007, 12:23 PM
X-52's seem to need the maximum available power that the USB system can provide. If your PSU is underpowered or already running at the maximum available for the USB ports (I think they are on the +-5v lines?) then that may be causing this problem.

Back in the summer when my old power supply was starting to cause problems with my computer the first of the symptoms was the X-52 was getting some really strange inputs. In watching the control panel in windows I could see the stick and throttle indicators were moving back and forth (wobbling if you will) on their own. I had the stick plus two USB sticks plus a USB mouse and after I started unplugging the symptoms got better until the PSU started to degrade further.

After replacing the PSU the problem was fixed. Might be worth it to see if you're having any sort of power problems. Either with too many devices drawing from the USB ports or the system being maxed out for the PSU itself or if there is a problem with the PSU. Its best to find out if there is a power issue because those can be "deadly" to your computer components and everything hooked up to it. I know from several unfortunate experiences over the years http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crucislancer
12-27-2007, 12:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
X-52's seem to need the maximum available power that the USB system can provide. If your PSU is underpowered or already running at the maximum available for the USB ports (I think they are on the +-5v lines?) then that may be causing this problem.

Back in the summer when my old power supply was starting to cause problems with my computer the first of the symptoms was the X-52 was getting some really strange inputs. In watching the control panel in windows I could see the stick and throttle indicators were moving back and forth (wobbling if you will) on their own. I had the stick plus two USB sticks plus a USB mouse and after I started unplugging the symptoms got better until the PSU started to degrade further.

After replacing the PSU the problem was fixed. Might be worth it to see if you're having any sort of power problems. Either with too many devices drawing from the USB ports or the system being maxed out for the PSU itself or if there is a problem with the PSU. Its best to find out if there is a power issue because those can be "deadly" to your computer components and everything hooked up to it. I know from several unfortunate experiences over the years http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The interesting thing is that my PSU is just over a year old, having been replaced by those meatheads at Best Buy. My old PSU failed and fried my MB. It would not surprise me if they gave me a PSU that was on it's last legs.

I can see how the X52 might draw a lot of power, with the lights and such. And when I first encountered the problem, I had my new MP3 player hooked up, charging the battery through the USB. But, I haven't had both hooked up at the same time since. I think I'll look into a more powerful PSU.

Waldo.Pepper
12-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Call them and RMA it. Warranties are for peace of mind as well. Why take a chance?

Codex1971
12-27-2007, 02:32 PM
They are all good ideas.

Check the PSU for fluctuating voltages on the rails, if thats OK then I'd suggest sending the X52 back for repairs. If you don't trust the retailer try and hunt down the distributers/importers you might get better service with them.

The first batch of X52's have resistor pots that are very temperamental to heat, so if your room temp increases the resistor values shift thus causing the drift. I have just replaced mine and so far so good.

I had the best service from the importer here in Australia. Read this. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/4161076026)

albertafox
12-28-2007, 12:35 AM
I have had my x52pro having kinda the same issues.

After playing around I found the end of the spring is not flat. It has the whole diameter of the wire offsetting the spring.

I can get my stick to move nearly 1cm in a circle just by spinning the wedge base.

Now since the spring is offset to begin with it would be fine if it was locked to to center, but when you rotate the stick it keeps moving the springs offset around, making it impossible to have a constant center.

crucislancer
12-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Well, I packed up the X52, going to exchange it at some point before Thursday. I've done just about everything I can think of, and it's just not working. Most likely a defective stick. The thing that really gets me is that it wasn't defective out of the box, it took 4 or 5 days to develop. Anyway, fingers crossed that the next stick works correctly.

Tank56thFw
01-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Just for a heads up Crucisiancer I'm now on my 3rd returned stick. My very first X-52 i got when they first came out worked pretty good for over a year. Then i started getting some spiking issues so i returned it. Right out of the box the very first day i had calibration issues. I would see the stick turn off and back on real quick and recalobrate itself, this could happen several times throughout a flight i was doing. I have since taken it back 2 more times and had the same issue on every one of them. Now there is nothing different from my system since i had the first one that worked for 2yrs and now which i've had 3 in a row with the same turning off and on and recalibrating. I've found nothing that fixes this problem either. I'm tired of returning it and now thinking of just spending the money on a ch product or the thrustmaster which i'd rather not do but seems like i have no other joice.

crucislancer
01-05-2008, 05:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tank56thFw:
Just for a heads up Crucisiancer I'm now on my 3rd returned stick. My very first X-52 i got when they first came out worked pretty good for over a year. Then i started getting some spiking issues so i returned it. Right out of the box the very first day i had calibration issues. I would see the stick turn off and back on real quick and recalobrate itself, this could happen several times throughout a flight i was doing. I have since taken it back 2 more times and had the same issue on every one of them. Now there is nothing different from my system since i had the first one that worked for 2yrs and now which i've had 3 in a row with the same turning off and on and recalibrating. I've found nothing that fixes this problem either. I'm tired of returning it and now thinking of just spending the money on a ch product or the thrustmaster which i'd rather not do but seems like i have no other joice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I exchanged mine on the 1st, the new one works perfectly, for the most part. I had one calibration issue after a couple of hours of play, and nothing wrong since.

It seems to be hit and miss with Saitek. I've heard folks that are on their first x52, had it since they released it, and no problems. Others, like yourself, have to get them repaired or exchanged. That's not a good sign, pointing to inconsistent manufacturing and QC.

I can understand if I was ham-fisted and pulling the stick so hard it lifted off the deck, but I'm not. And even then, it should last longer then a few days.

As a comparison, I was replacing my Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D stick. Just about everyone on this forum knows that their joysticks pretty much suck. I've had that stick since the summer of 2000. Granted, I didn't use it every day until I got IL-2 about a year ago, but I still used it enough to contribute to wear-and-tear. It still works. In fact, I used it while I waited for a chance to go exchange my X52, and it still works well. Crazy, eh?

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Kinda sucks to hear stories like this. I'm a big fan of saiteks products and have had no trouble myself in the past but these stories do make me worry about future products I may purchase. I'm thinking about replacing my ch pedals with the saiteks for the variable resistance and the wider stance, but I've heard inconsistent quality stories about them as well. Hope there is nothing wrong with the saitek throttle quad as I will definitely be getting one of those soon. Bit of a bummer really.