PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Glitches and massive slowdowns

thmppr
06-13-2004, 11:06 PM
I'm having issues after a little while playing of major artifacts appearing then total graphic jumble then the game basically stops. I'm running AMD 3200+, GeForce Fx 5900SE 128m DDR with nforce 56.72 drivers, a Gigabyte 7n400 Pro MB with nvidia nforce2 chipset running forceware 4.24 drivers, 1 gig DDR 400, Sb Audigy2, My CPU, chipset and video GPU are all watercooled and running a steady 82 degrees so heats not an issue. I'm running Win2k Pro and I've re-installed my Mb drivers, video drivers and dx9.0b a few times. Any ideas out there?

thmppr
06-13-2004, 11:06 PM
I'm having issues after a little while playing of major artifacts appearing then total graphic jumble then the game basically stops. I'm running AMD 3200+, GeForce Fx 5900SE 128m DDR with nforce 56.72 drivers, a Gigabyte 7n400 Pro MB with nvidia nforce2 chipset running forceware 4.24 drivers, 1 gig DDR 400, Sb Audigy2, My CPU, chipset and video GPU are all watercooled and running a steady 82 degrees so heats not an issue. I'm running Win2k Pro and I've re-installed my Mb drivers, video drivers and dx9.0b a few times. Any ideas out there?

Hiriyu
06-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Even though you state that "My CPU, chipset and video GPU are all watercooled and running a steady 82 degrees so heats not an issue", this sure sounds like video memory running too hot.

Try turning down your vid memory speed a notch, or failing that, try lower detail settings (textures/shadows/lighting). See if that helps...

Rob4d
06-19-2004, 07:12 AM
I have two (2) very similar system and nothing you do will help. The only thing that helped me was to through my new FX5900 out and put my old GF 4 Ti4200 back in...

However, ppl in this forum talks about 60.34 drivers. http://www.nvnews.net You should try them. They do help a little... shadows still not working like they should...

Ru.
06-19-2004, 09:39 AM
I hope that's not 82 degrees Centigrade! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This does sound like overheating - seeing as you're watercooled etc., am I right in guessing you're also overclocked?

Just to see, what does it do if you run your FX5900 at standard or maybe even lower clock frequencies?

Rob4d
06-20-2004, 03:18 AM
Ru, you sound like UbiSoft support - don't go there man! =)

No, my two systems/FX-cards are not overheating. I'm quite sure of that. (and they are not overclocked)

It's the "FX5900" VS "the drivers" kind of problem. I've been around lots of forums about this and FX5900(XT/SE) 128MB -users have the same problem in FarCry (then again, you only read about those who have the problem so it might be happy FX5900 -gamers out there too....)

I wrote that 60.34 drivers would work well, but I ment 61.34...

Here is some artifacts for you =)
http://spelanalys.ath.cx/farcry/FarCry11.html

Ru.
06-20-2004, 04:56 AM
I was kinda talking to thmppr there Rob, and as for sounding like Ubi tech support - what did you expect?

It'd be good if thmppr could post back. Or are you thumppr? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

As for your problems, I scanned your DXDiag and it's strange that you FX drivers (56.72) aren't WHQL. I ditched those drivers ages ago, so I can't check but as far as I know they should be.

Also - how old is your Audigy driver?? Nothing to do with graphics, I know. Is it a KX one?

Remy815
06-20-2004, 10:17 AM
I've posted this in other threads. I have absoultly no problems with my Gainward 5900xt 128meg golden sample. And it is oc'd to 5950 ultra specs.(not soft mod)

SWmaster1
06-20-2004, 02:59 PM
I have a BFG 5900 and I have graphical glithches too. I am starting to think that there are issues with the games support for the 5900 series.

I can post pics later.

SWmaster

Rob4d
06-21-2004, 05:38 AM
Ru. > No, I'm not thumppr, never gonna be. Well =) Me and UbiSoft Suport doesn't understand eath outer. Keept telling me to reinstall the game, dx9 and the drivers and stuff like that... and in the end I wasn't very nice to deal with...

About 56.72 not beeing WHQL. Yes, actually I notice that every time I install them. XP tells me about it and I chose to install them anyway bacause www.nvidia.com (http://www.nvidia.com) (where I got the drivers from)sais they are WHQL...

The Audigy driver presented in that DX-Diag is kind of old yes. I'm not running those now.

Played FarCry yesterday with the 61.34 driver and it works nicely =)Better framerate too.
But when one try to take a sceenshot the game goes bananas.

I guess the 57.72 drivers could have been the reason for the FX5900 to overheat (because artifacts usually come with overheting, right?) but in the way that artifacts appeared on my systems (actually my brothers and mine) it DID NOT LOOK like overheating.

They appeared on the same locations and I could even save the game with artifact and return days later to that same save point - and the artifacts (or messed up lights) were still there.

Anyway. Problem is kind of solved for me. It's a pitty I ended the game NOT "In the way it's supposed to be played". =)

Ru.
06-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Cool http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Not a complete result, but at least you're playing the game now!

by the way (just to clear up a common misconception)- 'the way it's meant to be played' doesn't actually refer to the game; it refers to the poor gamer http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Oh, wait - I just had a go at my beloved Nvidia! I hope theydon't revoke my fanboy status http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Rob4d
06-22-2004, 05:19 AM
Hehe =)

Well, the cover tells us that nVidia is the way to play it – but then again, the cover in Europe also tells us that a 16x CD-ROM will have no problem reading the DVD-ROM inside, so...

I like nVidia too, not as much as I liked small talk, but stillâ... seriously thinking about going the Radeon –way next time.

Well, to be honest we (I) should probably blame nVidia for this headache. I practically bought a new system for this game and then it turns out I can hardly play it because of the drivers. I should probably apologise to UbiSoft but they did not care about my problem much so I guess they can manage without my apologies too =)

I remember when I started to play games on my computer. I had a Matrox m3d (all my friends had this 3dfx Voodoo ****...) and Matrox released special patches for every game with issues. I think I want that back. =)

formula72
06-23-2004, 03:55 AM
This is wierd, but I think it's the Memory Bandwith/Pixel Pipeline of our cards.

When the Game was running well at 800*600, I decided to Up everything to Maxium/ultra high, just for the fun of it, to see what would happen. Well, I started to get wierd Artifacts, Video Glitches, Flickering Colors/Rainbow effects------you name it! This was On a FX Nvidia 5700 Ultra.

zandor60657
06-23-2004, 01:55 PM
I seem to be having similar problems with Far Cry 1.1 on a Gainward 5900 128MB running 56.72 drivers. My rig's a little odd though... it's a dual 2600+ on an MPX2 (MSI K7D Master-L) mobo. I've also got a SB Live in there, which I suppose could be the problem.
Basically the game starts out running fine, but sooner or latter suddenly turns into a slideshow. Sometimes it gets artifacts, but usually it doesn't. I've tried cranking things up to high/very high and it starts out ok, but freaks out rather quickly. The higher I turn things up the faster it happens.
If I switch out to windows then back to the game it usually goes back to normal. Worst case I have to restart the game. My temps seem to be ok. My CPUs get up to around 60 or so under full load, though like almost all games Far Cry only uses a single processor. I've seen the vid card as high as 80, but it's usually around 75.
Tonight I'm going to mess with it some more. I think I'll try installing the latest SB drivers, directx 9.0c, and then give the 61.34 video drivers a shot. Hopefully I can fix this so I can play w/o these annoying slowdowns.

Spindle collector. 9xFC-AL, 5xSCSI, 5xIDE

dukmiester2
06-23-2004, 09:24 PM
OK:
maybe this will help, maybe.
I went through HE*L with this game after I upgraded from an Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4200 TO an Nvidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra. It kept CRASHING TO DESKTOP after a random amount of time of playing. to keep this short, here's what worked (perfectly) for me:
I use a program called Power Strip available here:
http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm
and, using Power Strip, I "turned down" my Graphics Cards Engine and Memory Clocks. The factory settings for MY FX 5950 Ultra are:
Engine Clock: 475Mhz
Memory Clock: 950Mhz
I "turned down" the clocks to the following:
Engine Clock: 440Mhz
Memory Clock: 880Mhz
I don't know if it matters, but I kept the Memory Clock exactly 2 times that of the Engine Clock. Your card's clock settings from factory will probably be different than mine, so use CAUTION when playing around with clock settings. All I can say is, I tried several dozen different suggestions, not one worked. Then, I read, in this very forum, about "memory timings" and "clock speeds" and such. I can't change any settings in my BIOS with regards to memory timings, so I thought, what the heck, I'll lower my Video Cards clocks and see if it helps. And, what do you know, now Far Cry AND a couple of other games are working perfectly for HOURS without so much as even a hicup. This worked for me, and it may for you too. Just be aware:
NEVER over-clock ANYTHING unless you know what you are doing. I got the word directly from my Vid card tech support that UNDERCLOCKING (NOT overclocking) won't hurt anything, BUT OVERCLOCKING wil void warranty AND may damage your card. I hope this helps, underclocking has made my life a whole lot better and I have had very little (if any) lesser performance. And, by the way, I am still using the 56.72 drivers and still NO problems. I'd say give the under-clocking a try, it may help and definitely shouldn't hurt any thing. Good luck and happy gaming.

ska1315
06-24-2004, 05:33 AM
yeah, i don't know if this matters because i use an ati radeon 9700, but i was having problems of crashing and things like that and then i underclocked and got things to work very smoothly. My other suggestion would be that your memory may not be up to par. I had 512mb of generic memory and far cry seemed to not like that. I got 512mb of some quality name-brand memory and now things are even better. just a thought.

zandor60657
06-24-2004, 08:21 AM
As far as overclocking/underclocking utilities go, I'd actually suggest RivaTuner. Despite being called RivaTuner, it works on ATI and NV cards. Spysweeper actually complains about Powerstrip, saying it's got adware in it. Plus having to buy it is kind of annoying. RivaTuner's free. It's also got a handy graphing hardware monitor.

desimator187
06-24-2004, 12:33 PM
I have absolutely no problems on my 9600xt. Runs at 800X600X32 at full settings on VC and game. Go ATI http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

No not to bust nvidia, but I have heard many many scary stories revolving around thier nvidia card having major problems.Whether in games or making a hot summers day inside your case.I would recommend trying the Omega drivers for your nvidia card. They are tweaked, by not overclocking but by messing with settings and registry. I am using the radeon omega drivers and they work awsome. Gained about 10fps over the ati site drivers, without sacrificing picture quality. Try em at www.omegadrivers.net (http://www.omegadrivers.net)

You wont be dissapointed. And who knows, maybe your problems will be fixed with these http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Life boils down to the freedom of choice.Its what drives us and makes us who we are.This is not the matrix, this is our world!

zandor60657
06-24-2004, 07:39 PM
I think I've solved my problem! I was playing for 20 minutes or so with the settings cranked and no problems.
It was the sound card apparently. Just turning the acceleration down one notch in dxdiag seems to have cured my massive slowdown/semi-crash problem.
I also installed the 61.34 drivers. That seemed to help a little, but I still got the slowdowns.
Apparently when I stress out the vid card the sound card can't handle all the bus traffic. It's a Sound Blaster Live 5.1, so go figure. I'm now playing at 1024x768 2xAA 4xAF with everything on high except environment, lighting, and shadows- those are on very high. So far so good, the game seems smooth.
I think now I'm going to ignore dukmeister's advice and OC my board. It'll do 460/900 in UT2003 so I'll give that a shot. Unlike a lot of people I'm not really worried about blowing something up. I'm running modded processors... what's a little vid card OCing?