PDA

View Full Version : Il2 like lifting weights for your eyes?



DangerForward
06-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Here's something weird. After playing the IL2 games for several years now I decided it was time for an eye checkup. I probably play 10 or more hours a week, mainly looking for full real action. At my latest checkup my eyes actually got better! They had to reduce my perscription. I asked the eye doctor if playing video games could have helped my eyes, but he merely laughed. I said, "but you see I'm always looking for these little black dots..." http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DangerForward

DangerForward
06-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Here's something weird. After playing the IL2 games for several years now I decided it was time for an eye checkup. I probably play 10 or more hours a week, mainly looking for full real action. At my latest checkup my eyes actually got better! They had to reduce my perscription. I asked the eye doctor if playing video games could have helped my eyes, but he merely laughed. I said, "but you see I'm always looking for these little black dots..." http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DangerForward

SeaFireLIV
06-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Actually, as much as optometrists try to sound like they know everything about the eye and why this or that happens - they don`t. They know a lot, but dealing with the Human eye is still a bit of an art. Anyway, It`s quite possible that the extra eye-work needed for IL2 may have helped you..... especially if you fly with reduced or no icons.

carguy_
06-02-2004, 04:28 PM
LOL seeing black dots would mean that your eyes actually got worse http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Hearing that 10hours/week of staring at the monitor and reducing perscriptions is rather extrordinary.

As for me I feel my eyes get worse every year.Gonna have glasses soon http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/52.gif

http://carguy.w.interia.pl/tracki/sig23d.jpg

antifreeze
06-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Yep. I think that staring at a monitor for 10 plus hours per week has ruined my 20/20 vision. My near sight is as good as it ever was, but my far sight has got very blurry over the last year.

http://forgotten.battles.pulpo.co.uk/il2logo.gif
9th AWACS is Recruiting: (http://www.9thawacs.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=19)
Accept all players (16+ years old).
Play FB for fun + VEF/VOW.
Fly when you want to (no minimum).
Training given on request.
Dedicated Teamspeak server.
Several other games played.
Members from all over Europe.

BpGemini
06-02-2004, 04:37 PM
It would help some and hurt others. In your case of already having bad vision, perhaps the factors involved in playing/viewing IL-2 helped your deficiency. In my case, I had perfect eyesight 6 years ago and being behind a desk for 9-10 hours a day at work then spending some free time behind a computer has not helped.

http://www.blitzpigs.com/photos/P-39_BlitzPig_Sig_Bloodied.jpg
CWoS FB forum. More Cheese, Less Whine. (http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25)
Original IL-2 P-39 and FB P-63 vet.
The Pig Sty (http://blitzpigs.com/)

crazyivan1970
06-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Actually you might be right... looking at the dots actually might train your eye, believe it or not http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

plumps_
06-02-2004, 05:17 PM
If I remember correctly what my ophthalmologists told me it's a common phenomenon that you tend to get long-sighted the older you get. If you were short-sighted at first this can mean that your vision actually gets better. It's not a result of staring at the computer screen.

-----------------------------------
http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/stulogo-banner.jpg (http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/)

TooCooL34
06-02-2004, 07:31 PM
I got window(real window) in the back of my monitor so I stare upon blue sky when I'm dead or not in flight.

Eyes should be the first consideration, not online score.
http://815sqd.com/images/MyCockpit/pit07.jpg
http://815sqd.com/images/MyCockpit/pit13.jpg

DangerForward
06-02-2004, 07:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by plumps_:
If I remember correctly what my ophthalmologists told me it's a common phenomenon that you tend to get long-sighted the older you get. If you were short-sighted at first this can mean that your vision actually gets better. It's not a result of staring at the computer screen.

-----------------------------------
http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard that too, and asked the eye doctor about it. He said that happens mainly to people over 50. Since I just turned 37(sigh...) he said I was well away from that problem. Oh well...

DangerForward

Slammin_
06-02-2004, 08:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TooCooL34:
I got window(real window) in the back of my monitor so I stare upon blue sky when I'm dead or not in flight.

Eyes should be the first consideration, not online score.
http://815sqd.com/images/MyCockpit/pit07.jpg
http://815sqd.com/images/MyCockpit/pit13.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are spot on. Change the focus! Staring at a screen that never requires you to refocus is what screws up your eyes. I don't have your view, but I do have a TV 14' away that is always on when I'm down here simming. And yes, staring at a crt for too many hours a day will screw up your eyes.

I say that, but I also know that getting OLD will screw up your eyes too http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif , or so I've heard.

VW-IceFire
06-02-2004, 09:37 PM
CRT's can induce eye strain and make your eyes feel tired. From what I've read its never really permanent and the work you do with your eyes may have strengthened the muscles to the point where your vision has slightly improved. That is a possibility.

The suggestion is that you never stare at a CRT constantly...look away...I've got a window to the left that I stare out of constantly just to keep the eyes from using only close in focus. One online document put it that humans have "hunters eyes"...in general we're good at seeing stuff in the distance and the staring at paper and screens all day isn't exactly all that our eyes were designed for.

LCD's are infinitely better in terms of eye strain (no refresh rate across the entire screen to deal with) but its still close in focus so its only half the battle.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

AirBot
06-03-2004, 06:53 AM
If you were farsighted to begin with, I could imagine spending a lot of time in front of your PC doing some good.
However, if you were nearsighted, I doubt IL-2 would help you much. God knows it hasn't helped me in that regard. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

KGr.HH-Sunburst
06-03-2004, 07:05 AM
ive seen somewere a test made by an university about playing games and how it would improve reflexes ,eye sight and some other things
was i time ago but if i recall correctly
for most people it did improve your close eye sight and the brain was better trained in response time given for an action like reflexes when moving your arm ,hands stuff like that.

http://www.freewebs.com/fightingpumas/
http://img31.photobucket.com/albums/v94/sunburst/sigp51-D9.jpg
''All your Mustangs are belong to us''

Inadaze
06-03-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm shortsighted and it happened to me too, the last 2 tests I had my eyesight had marginally improved. The optician said it was my age and not uncommon. (I'm 32).

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif ~ Inadaze

Archangel2980
06-03-2004, 07:06 AM
I always thought bad vision was caused by tiny micro scatches on your cornea or whatever.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-03-2004, 07:42 AM
@ TooCooL34

Roger that. It is infact important to focus the eye not only on close things, but also on objects further away.
However, looking at the sky does not really relax your eyes. It relaxes the Iris, maybe, because it has to adapt do different intensities of light, but not the lense itself, because there is nothing to focus on.
Besides that, positioning the monitor in this way, you always have the contrast between the dark monitor in the foreground and the light background. That is definately NOT good for your eyes. They adapt to your focus (the monitor) and the light from the background blinds the outer receptors.
As studying architecure, let me tell you, that this contellation wouldn't be allowed for working space. The monitor has to stand 90degrees to the window to avoid eye-damage.

@ DangerForward
If your eye-sight was improved, that may have many reasons. As well as the also mentioned blury view in the distance, this is perfectly common for people around 25-35 and above. It comes from changing pressure of the liquid inside the eye, causing deformations in the eyeball.
It can also be, that there was some damage caused by your staring at the monitor, that changes the vision from negative to positive deviation. (If your sight was blury in the foreground before, it may become sharper overall, then become blury in the background)

Reflexes cannot be "trained" to get better. Everybody starts about the same speed as a newborn, then it degrades constantly, if you're not moving or training them in other ways (eg. playing games http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ). You simply don't get worse - besides that, it is actually not reflexes you train. Reflexes by definition are synaptic links in your spinal cortex, that work without involving the brain.
What you CAN train is the reaction of the brain in certain situations. That includes Eye-Hand-Coordination and how to react in certain situations.

greets
Capt.LoneRanger


Why is 6 afraid of 7? Cause 7 8 9!

TooCooL34
06-03-2004, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
@ TooCooL34

Roger that. It is infact important to focus the eye not only on close things, but also on objects further away.
However, looking at the sky does not really relax your eyes. It relaxes the Iris, maybe, because it has to adapt do different intensities of light, but not the lense itself, because there is nothing to focus on.
Besides that, positioning the monitor in this way, you always have the contrast between the dark monitor in the foreground and the light background. That is definately NOT good for your eyes. They adapt to your focus (the monitor) and the light from the background blinds the outer receptors.
As studying architecure, let me tell you, that this contellation wouldn't be allowed for working space. The monitor has to stand 90degrees to the window to avoid eye-damage.

@ DangerForward
If your eye-sight was improved, that may have many reasons. As well as the also mentioned blury view in the distance, this is perfectly common for people around 25-35 and above. It comes from changing pressure of the liquid inside the eye, causing deformations in the eyeball.
It can also be, that there was some damage caused by your staring at the monitor, that changes the vision from negative to positive deviation. (If your sight was blury in the foreground before, it may become sharper overall, then become blury in the background)

Reflexes cannot be "trained" to get better. Everybody starts about the same speed as a newborn, then it degrades constantly, if you're not moving or training them in other ways (eg. playing games http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ). You simply don't get worse - besides that, it is actually not reflexes you train. Reflexes by definition are synaptic links in your spinal cortex, that work without involving the brain.
What you CAN train is the reaction of the brain in certain situations. That includes Eye-Hand-Coordination and how to react in certain situations.

greets
Capt.LoneRanger
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Huh? don't you see the house over the window? houses, road, people.. many thing to focus on over there. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
My window positioned to NorthWest, so I get little direct sunlight and my LCD monitor is bright enough, actually too bright not like the photos. Desk position is also in shadow for whole day.

I'm not in this post to read ophthalmology lecture. Can't you read between the lines? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif