PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't you warn me Track IR was so buggy...

Worf101
10-05-2005, 08:51 PM
After less than two weeks of intermittant use, my new 150 Dollar add-on has died. None of the fixes at the website can get this Track IR to "turn on" anymore. No lights, red or blue. It just sits there collecting dust. Sigh.... Contacted the company tonight. Will advise. Should've looked at all the complaints in their forum before I bought this thang... Well my bad.

Da Worfster

Worf101
10-05-2005, 08:51 PM
After less than two weeks of intermittant use, my new 150 Dollar add-on has died. None of the fixes at the website can get this Track IR to "turn on" anymore. No lights, red or blue. It just sits there collecting dust. Sigh.... Contacted the company tonight. Will advise. Should've looked at all the complaints in their forum before I bought this thang... Well my bad.

Da Worfster

hobnail
10-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Geez just RMA it.

All IT products produce a fair flood of DOA product, it's hardly isolated to NaturalPoint's gear. I mean a mate of mine is in Med-Tech and he described receiving a $$$$$$ piece of equipement designed to monitor heart-surgery patients and it tells everyone that uses it that they're dead...see, could be worse.

xTHRUDx
10-05-2005, 09:22 PM
i've never come across any warning about TIR, just praise. so i bought TIR 1. it worked great. came across an opportunity to buy a TIR 3 cheap, so i bought it. it has worked great. gave my old TIR 1 to a buddy, and it has worked great for him too. it may not be the device but your machine.

BrotherVoodoo
10-05-2005, 09:52 PM
I have the TIR3 pro with vector and have never had any trouble with the unit. I have had it about 6 months.

Jagdgeschwader2
10-05-2005, 10:02 PM
I just got Track IR 3 Pro with vector and it works perfectly. I'll never go back now. I don't know why I waited so long to try it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif You just got a bad one. Send it back and they will send you a replacement.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

Wilburnator
10-05-2005, 10:09 PM
I haven't looked at the TIR forum for a while, but if my memory serves me most of the complaints come from people who haven't set it up properly. You may have gotten a bad unit, it happens with ALL things made by Man occasionally, but if this is the case I'm sure they'll be happy to give you a new one.

I've had 2 TIR units and I'm very pleased. Although I did get a little upset at Naturalpoint over a shipping issue, it was really no big deal and overall I'd say they are a good company with a great product.

Old_Canuck
10-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Still using the original TIR and still enjoying it until BoB 1C comes out.

SithSpeeder
10-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Worf--

Sounds like you had bad luck. Don't give up yet (it really is the "schnizzel"...whatever that means). Return it and get another one (the hassle will be worth it).

Actually, before you send it back, have you tried it on a different machine? Do you have an extension on the USB cable? Are you sure your USB hub is working properly? Do you exceed the maximum number of USB devices for your hub? Did you try a different USB port? Does the device show up in the Hardware device manager window (see USB controllers)? You shouldn't have any yellow marks in that window.

I don't know how computer savvy you are, so I apologize if you have already investigated these things (and maybe more).

* _54th_Speeder *

BuzzU
10-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Even an Mercedes breaks now and then.

hobnail
10-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Rolls Royces never break down, they just "fail to proceed".

x6BL_Brando
10-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Hi Worf.

Honest m8, we would have said if we had any reason to think it was a buggy product. Like some of the people above, I've had several versions of TIR. While the 3Pro is a big improvement over the original version, neither of them fell over big-style.

However, I have experienced the 'dead TIR' phenomenon a couple of times - each time was traceable to user error. Y ou might have a dud......but I'd suggest uninstalling the whole shebang first. Run a Reg Cleaner, delete the NP folder from your hard-drive, make sure you have the latest USB drivers (for the mobo) and try again - being sure to use a single USB port on your rig.
TIR has never responded well to sharing through a hub - and you may need to invest in a PCI USB hub if you're short of ports.

I don't mean any offence when I say 'be sure to follow the installation instructions exactly' - I've screwed up TIR and CH installations more than once by missing an important step.

The folks at NP are great. Post on the NP forum and one of the developers will surely respond. You'll get help, though you may have to post a dxdiag and so on.

Keep us posted.

B.

WTE_Ibis
10-06-2005, 02:04 AM
I cannot speak highly enough of track IR .I would rather fly without joystick, well nearly, it's great and has worked perfectly for years. Be sure you installed the software BEFORE connecting usb.
When you turn it on and no lights show unplug the usb cable,give it a second or 2 and then replug it,
that should get it to work.
Cheers, Ibis.

VF-29_Sandman
10-06-2005, 05:38 AM
worf, when installing tir, it must not be plugged in until when installing the drivers TELLS u to plug it in. that could be where u are having problems. so, try this: completely uninstall tir software and reboot. then pop in the installation software. DO NOT plug in the tir to the machine until the software expressly says to plug it in. that is highly essential. u have to do it this way including if u update the drivers for tir. if tir works after doing this, yer good to go. if not, then u got a doa and just rma it. btw, i got tir 1 here that does work; i retired it after gettin tir 3. mebby we can werk a deal eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SeaFireLIV
10-06-2005, 06:25 AM
If there were complaints on the forum about TIR it was because people didn`t pay attention to instructions or were simply too impatient. Your situation also sounds different to all the TIR complaints I`ve seen. In your case it sounds like you have a faulty product. I`ve had mine nearly 2 years and not a fault with it at all- and I have only TIR1!

Uninstall completely and reinstall (make sure the TIR is NOT plugged in). Try again. If it still won`t work it`s faulty.

If it`s made by a Human there`s always a chance you may get the unlucky faulty one. Even the space shuttle gets faulty sometimes.

stubby
10-06-2005, 06:35 AM
**** shame. i on the hand have had nothing but 100 happiness with my TIR gear. I guess some folks just get screwed while others enjoy flying nirvana with our TIR gear. Maybe take up another hobby that doesn't require high tech gear. You'll save lots of money.

VT-51_Razor
10-06-2005, 07:11 AM
There are at least 8 guys in my squad using TIR 3, including myself, and there has not been one complaint from any of us for the unit failing to work. we've all had our issues with the set up and the files we're using, but those were short lived. I have to say that, IMHO, this piece of equipment, next to the joystick, is the most important addition to a flight simmer's desk. I can't immagine flying without it. Fortunately, it has given me next to no problems whatsoever.

I'm sure that, assuming your unit is defective, Natrual Point will replace it. If it's not defective, then I can assure you that once you figure out your problem, you'll turn into a TIR fanboi like the rest of us (after you get done slapping your forehead!)

T_O_A_D
10-06-2005, 07:37 AM
I have installed TIR on several machines TIR and TIR3pro only once di dI have a problem. I had to reload my Motherboard drivers to fix a USB problem.

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Sorry for your troubles, but the information you got from the community was solid. Your experience, while unusual, isn't unique. Take the time to fix it (whether RMA etc,...) and you'll see why most everyone who uses it sings its praises.

At least you didn't spend $500 on a new VC that loses textures or doesn't deliver on the things it was purchased for. it's all relative and your problems are big enough...for you, but the payback is worth it.

TB

Worf101
10-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the love fellahs. A couple of updates.

1. I did have the Track IR 3 Pro working and set up right because it worked for over a week.

2. I had the latest driver at the time but I failed to notice it was a beta.

3. Got email from the company last night with a "registry cleaner" program and the latest drivers.

4. After deleting the previous install, running the registry cleaner, rebooting several times then loading the latest software, I still couldn't get it to work.

5. In desperation I diddled around with the USB plug and found that it had a short.

6. Being kinda handy, I cut and spliced the cord.

Long story short. I now have the device working again, but it was a physical defect, NOT user error.

Thanks again for all your help though...

Da Worfster

rnzoli
10-07-2005, 10:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">NOT user error. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL, working in customer support myself, everything is user error. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Are you sure that you haven't shorted the USB plug? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Just kidding of course, I am happy that you found a solution, well done.

Worf101
10-07-2005, 12:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnzoli:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">NOT user error. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL, working in customer support myself, everything is user error. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Are you sure that you haven't shorted the USB plug? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Just kidding of course, I am happy that you found a solution, well done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the "Bad Old Days" when I had more temper than sense... I'd a thrown the thing out the window cussin' up a blue streak. But with age and children, has come patience. I investigated first, asked questions second, emailed third and accused... never. Notice I didn't say Track IR3 Pro was "garbage"... just "buggy".

Thanks again.

Da Worfster

T_O_A_D
10-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I'd still get it RMA'd

Glad you figured it out though.

SeaFireLIV
10-08-2005, 04:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:

In the "Bad Old Days" when I had more temper than sense... I'd a thrown the thing out the window cussin' up a blue streak. But with age and children, has come patience. I investigated first, asked questions second, emailed third and accused... never. Notice I didn't say Track IR3 Pro was "garbage"... just "buggy".

Thanks again.

Da Worfster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah. The words of a man who has learned wisdom in life. I guess that`s what a family does to you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Triggaaar
10-08-2005, 04:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:
I investigated first, asked questions second, emailed third and accused... never. Notice I didn't say Track IR3 Pro was "garbage"... just "buggy". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So you 'accused' Track IR3 Pro of being buggy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, when you just had a faulty cable.

Hopefully I shall join with TIR3 soon, although I feel a bit silly having the gadgets, and not being able to fly.