PDA

View Full Version : "Shadow Shooting" & "Gun Sights"

stick-n-rudder
06-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Hello,

Pt1:

I recently read a book about an Australia pilot that came up with the idea of a technique known as "Shadow Shooting". It was done to try and teach junior or less experienced pilots how to enhance their deflection shooting.

The idea was simply to shoot at your own shadow or that of your wingman's aircraft and observe the fall of shot. This, combined with a known spot height help get one's "eye in".

Wanted to see if anyone had any other tricks or techniques used to enhance deflection shooting or anything really to enhance aerial gunnery.

Pt2:

The second part of this post is in regards to the sighting reticule and convergance. When looking through a aircraft's gun sight - lets say of a Spitfire, if I have a convergance set at 270 / 250 do the interum lines and inner circle represent known distances.

I guess what I'm asking is when an opponents aircraft's wing tips reach either side of the reticules outer ring does this indicate a known distance based on what convergence you have set? or does it mean "S*#t" I'd better shoot.

I hope that all makes sense.

stick-n-rudder
06-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Hello,

Pt1:

I recently read a book about an Australia pilot that came up with the idea of a technique known as "Shadow Shooting". It was done to try and teach junior or less experienced pilots how to enhance their deflection shooting.

The idea was simply to shoot at your own shadow or that of your wingman's aircraft and observe the fall of shot. This, combined with a known spot height help get one's "eye in".

Wanted to see if anyone had any other tricks or techniques used to enhance deflection shooting or anything really to enhance aerial gunnery.

Pt2:

The second part of this post is in regards to the sighting reticule and convergance. When looking through a aircraft's gun sight - lets say of a Spitfire, if I have a convergance set at 270 / 250 do the interum lines and inner circle represent known distances.

I guess what I'm asking is when an opponents aircraft's wing tips reach either side of the reticules outer ring does this indicate a known distance based on what convergence you have set? or does it mean "S*#t" I'd better shoot.

I hope that all makes sense.

dieg777
06-04-2006, 07:12 AM
with the spifires ring at 100yrds a fighter wing span will equil the diameter of the ring .

So if you have convergence set at 200yrds then wait until 2 wingspans fit in the ring then fire.

other sights are slightly different see link to snapshot in my sig for article on shooting- including links to other articles and trainig guides especially this one

http://www.airwarfare.com/tactics/tactics_fwgunnery.htm

which gives links to RAF and Luftwaffe WW2 training manuals

hope this helps

hope this helps

reverendkrv1972
06-04-2006, 07:52 AM
I sorta done that a few times,boom n zooming ur own shadow can be detrimental to ones virtual life...proceed with caution ladies & gentlemen!

my convergance has been @ 250 for a long time now,I sorta 'feel' when it's the right time to fire,although it doesn't always work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif