PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Lock...how to use it?

MichaelMar
06-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Before 4.00 I would just leave rear wheel lock on before and after take off but now things are different. In order for me to taxi to the run way I need rear wheel lock off or else it is REALLY hard to turn the plane.

So, when to use rear wheel lock???

THX

MichaelMar
06-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Before 4.00 I would just leave rear wheel lock on before and after take off but now things are different. In order for me to taxi to the run way I need rear wheel lock off or else it is REALLY hard to turn the plane.

So, when to use rear wheel lock???

THX

antifreeze
06-14-2005, 10:28 AM
I turn wheel-lock on after I've lined-up on the runway. I lock it just after throttling-up while starting to move forward very slowly to ensure it is locked parallel to my intended take-off direction. I keep it on during flight and landing, unlocking only if I land squint or when I want to taxi to the apron.

I don't really know how else to use it.

AerialTarget
06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
You're doing it right, Antifreeze! I'm happy to hear that it now works, because before it didn't.

Vlad381
06-14-2005, 01:38 PM
mines off all the time and I never feel the need to use it, maybe that's why I cant take off straight...

VBF-83_Hawk
06-14-2005, 03:15 PM
AN old Indian CHief once told me "Lock wheel, plane go straight, unlock wheel and plane turn".

So to answer your question, when you want to turn, unlock the tailwheel. When you want to go straight, lock it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

F19_Orheim
06-14-2005, 03:21 PM
I finally have a reason to lock it. Before 4.0 there was really no need to lock the tailwheel, but now - after lining up for take off - it really makes life for a pilot taking off a lot easier.

ARM505
06-14-2005, 03:52 PM
IRL, unlocked for taxi, locked on lineup for take off. Locked for landing, unlocked for taxi again. Glad to hear there's actually a use for it now, ground handling was waaaay too easy up until now. Still have to test the patch!

Tully__
06-15-2005, 12:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So, when to use rear wheel lock??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In real life, it depends what aircraft you're in. Some of them are a total lock straight ahead (with a small springloaded movement), some lock the tail wheel to the rudder (instead of free castor).

For the former, you'd only use it on the main runway during actual takeoff & landing. The latter would be engaged at all times the aircraft was being taxied under power at the pilot's control, but disengaged when the aircraft was being manhandled by groundcrew.