PDA

View Full Version : Hello! New to IL2, saying hello and a few questions

RCAFStingray
07-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Yo everyone! I am fairly new to IL2, been playing a few months, what a great game!

Got the game a few months ago, and it is my first real experience with flight sims (I played EF2000 10 years ago, but never really learned anything about actually flying). Couldn't even take off, so read the Nuggets Guide (which was awesome btw), and played for a while, then read some more, and played and so forth. Starting to get a little bit better, but wow, so much to learn. Been online a few times and even managed to even get a few kills! But for the most part I am just online cannon fodder, improving the scores of everyone who flies against me.

Anyhoo, I've been lurking around the forums, thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few questions. I have tried to answer these with the search, but the shear volume of posts on this forum can make researching things a little overwhelming, so I thought I'd ask:

1.) WEP. Is there a proper protocol for turning on/off WEP in different planes? Can I just hit W on planes that have it at any throttle setting and RPM without damaging the engine? I read somewhere that in the 109 that you should only enable it at low RPMs. So, I am curious if there is a proper protocol for using WEP and if it varies from plane-to-plane?

2.) Damage with radiator cowl open. Does the damage model in IL-2 make it easier for the engine to get damage when the cowl is open? What about for sucking debris into the engine, say after a low ground attack, or flying behind a plane you are attacking? I've seen some comments about this, but never a definitive answer.

3.) What is the relationship with prop-pitch and power? In the planes with prop pitch control how/when should one adjust the pitch? I find that I typically keep it at 100%, but have read some people say to fly at 80% to cool the engine. I typically notice that the less the pitch (i.e. lower %) that the lower the RPM, does that mean you get more power/thrust for less heat? I've read some docs on the CEM but haven't gotten my head around what to do with prop pitch yet. Am I correct in understanding that the lower the number (i.e. 80%) the more "bite" the prop takes out of the air? and thus more power?

4.) Aim correcting with the rudder: I find that when I am behind an enemy plane, I try to line up for a deflection shot, say by using the ailerons to bank my plane, then pull up on the stick to get the sights where I think it should be, but I am inevitably off by a little bit, and use the rudder to correct it to the side a little bit. So when I pull the trigger I basically spray bullets from side to side, rarely score hits, and if I do it seems to take a whole pile of bullets to finally get a kill. Is there another technique for correcting your sight sideways to get lined up? I feel that my technique of using the rudder is horrible, and not only that, it seems to really suck my energy. Anyone have some gunnery advice for me?

5.) Aerial combat tactics. I am kind of tired of getting just wasted online, and am trying to immerse myself in the field of aerial combat tactics. Can anyone recommend some general PDF files of maneuvers, tactics, etc? The best I have found so far is the Warbirds Training manual (http://www.savlan.com/475FG/Warbirds%20Online%20Academy%20Wingman%20Course%20M anual.pdf) (not too sure how to post URL's, did it work?)

Also, I am interested in getting "Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering by Robert L. Shaw", but I also see on amazon
"Check Six: A Virtual Pilot's Guide by J. Steve Thompson" and "In Pursuit: A Pilot's Guide to Online Air Combat by Johan Kylander". I hear that Shaw's book is quite good, but what about these other two?

6.) Skip bombing/bomb delay: Does using the bomb delay allow the bomb to skip along the ground when level bombing? i.e. I drop the bomb, but with a 3sec delay fuse it skips past the target I want to hit? Also, does skip bombing like this work against naval targets? i.e. can I drop the bomb earlier than a ship with a delay fuse and have it skip along the surface, hit the ship, then stop, then blow up? If so, how long of a delay fuse? (Note, I am a real newb at bombing, so my terminalogy may be way off here, and everywhere for that matter)

7.) Online squads: I am interested in trying out an online squad for some practice, co-op missions and or dog-fighting. I haven't approached any squads yet, but I am wondering, are squads typically open to having someone like me drop in on a practice or two to feel out the squad/commitment level? What do online practice sessions typically involve? Can anyone recommend a squad that has these type of practices/lessons? As opposed to just going onto skies~of~fire en masse and owning everyone?

As for hardware, I have a saitek aviator and track IR 4 pro. My computer kind of sucks, AMD Athlon 3000+, 6600GT CPU, 1gb ram. I like this flight sim so much and want to get serious and a lot better with it so I just threw down and ordered a serious machine: E8400, 4gb DDR2-1066 ram, 8800GT video, 24 inch LCD and the Saitek X-52 Pro. Can't wait to get it all setup and playing IL-2 on it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, just wanted to say hello and maybe get some more info! Looking forward to flying with y'all in the future,

RCAF|Stingray

(I am from Canada, hence the RCAF label. I have committed the crime of choosing my own callsign... yes, I know they are supposed to be given to you, but I don't know anyone online so had to pick!),

Thanks again.

RCAFStingray
07-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Yo everyone! I am fairly new to IL2, been playing a few months, what a great game!

Got the game a few months ago, and it is my first real experience with flight sims (I played EF2000 10 years ago, but never really learned anything about actually flying). Couldn't even take off, so read the Nuggets Guide (which was awesome btw), and played for a while, then read some more, and played and so forth. Starting to get a little bit better, but wow, so much to learn. Been online a few times and even managed to even get a few kills! But for the most part I am just online cannon fodder, improving the scores of everyone who flies against me.

Anyhoo, I've been lurking around the forums, thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few questions. I have tried to answer these with the search, but the shear volume of posts on this forum can make researching things a little overwhelming, so I thought I'd ask:

1.) WEP. Is there a proper protocol for turning on/off WEP in different planes? Can I just hit W on planes that have it at any throttle setting and RPM without damaging the engine? I read somewhere that in the 109 that you should only enable it at low RPMs. So, I am curious if there is a proper protocol for using WEP and if it varies from plane-to-plane?

2.) Damage with radiator cowl open. Does the damage model in IL-2 make it easier for the engine to get damage when the cowl is open? What about for sucking debris into the engine, say after a low ground attack, or flying behind a plane you are attacking? I've seen some comments about this, but never a definitive answer.

3.) What is the relationship with prop-pitch and power? In the planes with prop pitch control how/when should one adjust the pitch? I find that I typically keep it at 100%, but have read some people say to fly at 80% to cool the engine. I typically notice that the less the pitch (i.e. lower %) that the lower the RPM, does that mean you get more power/thrust for less heat? I've read some docs on the CEM but haven't gotten my head around what to do with prop pitch yet. Am I correct in understanding that the lower the number (i.e. 80%) the more "bite" the prop takes out of the air? and thus more power?

4.) Aim correcting with the rudder: I find that when I am behind an enemy plane, I try to line up for a deflection shot, say by using the ailerons to bank my plane, then pull up on the stick to get the sights where I think it should be, but I am inevitably off by a little bit, and use the rudder to correct it to the side a little bit. So when I pull the trigger I basically spray bullets from side to side, rarely score hits, and if I do it seems to take a whole pile of bullets to finally get a kill. Is there another technique for correcting your sight sideways to get lined up? I feel that my technique of using the rudder is horrible, and not only that, it seems to really suck my energy. Anyone have some gunnery advice for me?

5.) Aerial combat tactics. I am kind of tired of getting just wasted online, and am trying to immerse myself in the field of aerial combat tactics. Can anyone recommend some general PDF files of maneuvers, tactics, etc? The best I have found so far is the Warbirds Training manual (http://www.savlan.com/475FG/Warbirds%20Online%20Academy%20Wingman%20Course%20M anual.pdf) (not too sure how to post URL's, did it work?)

Also, I am interested in getting "Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering by Robert L. Shaw", but I also see on amazon
"Check Six: A Virtual Pilot's Guide by J. Steve Thompson" and "In Pursuit: A Pilot's Guide to Online Air Combat by Johan Kylander". I hear that Shaw's book is quite good, but what about these other two?

6.) Skip bombing/bomb delay: Does using the bomb delay allow the bomb to skip along the ground when level bombing? i.e. I drop the bomb, but with a 3sec delay fuse it skips past the target I want to hit? Also, does skip bombing like this work against naval targets? i.e. can I drop the bomb earlier than a ship with a delay fuse and have it skip along the surface, hit the ship, then stop, then blow up? If so, how long of a delay fuse? (Note, I am a real newb at bombing, so my terminalogy may be way off here, and everywhere for that matter)

7.) Online squads: I am interested in trying out an online squad for some practice, co-op missions and or dog-fighting. I haven't approached any squads yet, but I am wondering, are squads typically open to having someone like me drop in on a practice or two to feel out the squad/commitment level? What do online practice sessions typically involve? Can anyone recommend a squad that has these type of practices/lessons? As opposed to just going onto skies~of~fire en masse and owning everyone?

As for hardware, I have a saitek aviator and track IR 4 pro. My computer kind of sucks, AMD Athlon 3000+, 6600GT CPU, 1gb ram. I like this flight sim so much and want to get serious and a lot better with it so I just threw down and ordered a serious machine: E8400, 4gb DDR2-1066 ram, 8800GT video, 24 inch LCD and the Saitek X-52 Pro. Can't wait to get it all setup and playing IL-2 on it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, just wanted to say hello and maybe get some more info! Looking forward to flying with y'all in the future,

RCAF|Stingray

(I am from Canada, hence the RCAF label. I have committed the crime of choosing my own callsign... yes, I know they are supposed to be given to you, but I don't know anyone online so had to pick!),

Thanks again.

ImMoreBetter
07-21-2008, 03:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
2.)....

What about for sucking debris into the engine, say after a low ground attack, or flying behind a plane you are attacking? I've seen some comments about this, but never a definitive answer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not exactly. Sucking up debris is not modeled. However, if you get caught too close when they explode...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Practice. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RCAFStingray:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read this. (http://www.combatsim.com/htm/2000/09/stk_eaw_new/page2.htm)

It's a good guide, it will help a lot for understanding air combat maneuvers.

7.) Online squads: I am interested in trying out an online squad for some practice, co-op missions and or dog-fighting. I haven't approached any squads yet, but I am wondering, are squads typically open to having someone like me drop in on a practice or two to feel out the squad/commitment level? What do online practice sessions typically involve? Can anyone recommend a squad that has these type of practices/lessons? As opposed to just going onto skies~of~fire en masse and owning everyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a forum on this site for exactly this...

Here. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/48310655)

I'll let someone else explain the other stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

FoolTrottel
07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Welcome here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">6.) Skip bombing/bomb delay: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Skip bombing works on ships too.

Usually I use a delay of 1 second.
Enough to get away far enough, except for the heaviest bombloads.

As for hardware, get some rudder pedals.
More accurate than a twist stick, or keys.

Have Fun!

Pigeon_
07-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Haha! Eager to learn, aren't we? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1. I'm not very sure about this, as I'm no expert in all plane types (maybe not even in one! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif). Anyway, I don't think WEP causes direct damage to the engine (except, maybe, for some German planes). It's the overheating that results that causes the damage. While overheating, you can fly some time without damaging the engine. This time interval varies greatly, depending on the plane you're flying. I'm sure you have a favorite plane and you'll get to know the engine better and better. I wouldn't worry about it too much, except of course, when your engine gets damaged time after time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

2. Not sure. Pretty sure that debris doesn't cause damage though.

3. I must admit that prop pitch is still a bit mysterious to me as well. I generally use 100% when in combat and less when cruising. Lowering the prop pitch will cause less strain on the engine, but it will not give you more power. Some planes climb better at lower prop pitch settings though, or so I've been told... Also, in some planes that overheat quickly I only use 100% when I really really need the speed.

4. Practice linging up without rudder use. Then practice some more... and some more... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif
Also, check the sensitivity of your rudder control. (I'm assuming you use a twist handle stick or rudder paddles) Does it feel natural and controllable to you? If it doesn't, try to change the sensitivity values, filtering and maybe alter the dead zone. If you can't get it to feel right and you're all over the place(like me) start saving for new hardware. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

5. Reading is good, but flying is better. However, you can find some awesome articles (or 'futures') over at simHQ.com and they also have a list of very good books in the aviation library.

6. Check out http://www.darts-page.com/ for very good (and entertaining) video tutorials on all sorts of bombing and strafing. BTW, no delay for skip bombing on water. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

7. I'd advise you to get to know the game a little bit better. Joining a squad is a great way to learn, but it seems to me that you can figure out a lot on your own before you have to go and bother someone with your "n00bishness". Fly online some more. When you get the idea that you can handle yourself pretty good online, then I think it's time to join a squad. If you want to of course... Only join a squad if you're prepared to put in a lot of time and know you will be very dedicated and stay dedicated for some time. When leading a squad, it's very dissatisfying when you see new players join and then leave after a few weeks all the time. So, make sure you feel right at home and get along with the other guys really well.

Oh yeah, not all servers are about big furballs. Some actually have mission goals and it's great when everybody (or at least a big part of the players) works together to win the mission. For me, it makes the game a lot more immersive. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So, practice to gain some more experience and try to understand all aspects of the game. Don't force yourself to learn everything all at once. It will come to you over time. That's part of the fun! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Happy landings!

Phoenix

BTW, your link worked fine! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

crucislancer
07-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Welcome!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RCAFStingray:
1.) WEP. Is there a proper protocol for turning on/off WEP in different planes? Can I just hit W on planes that have it at any throttle setting and RPM without damaging the engine? I read somewhere that in the 109 that you should only enable it at low RPMs. So, I am curious if there is a proper protocol for using WEP and if it varies from plane-to-plane? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In most cases, you can use WEP at any time, the exceptions being like you mentioned certain models of the bf109. Any use of WEP will eventually overheat the engine, and in some cases it will run out, like the water injection on the Corsair or P-47 or the MW50 on the 109 and 190. For the MW50, just have your throttle below 100% when you engage and disengage the system.

2.) Damage with radiator cowl open. Does the damage model in IL-2 make it easier for the engine to get damage when the cowl is open? What about for sucking debris into the engine, say after a low ground attack, or flying behind a plane you are attacking? I've seen some comments about this, but never a definitive answer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think this is part of the damage model.

3.) What is the relationship with prop-pitch and power? In the planes with prop pitch control how/when should one adjust the pitch? I find that I typically keep it at 100%, but have read some people say to fly at 80% to cool the engine. I typically notice that the less the pitch (i.e. lower %) that the lower the RPM, does that mean you get more power/thrust for less heat? I've read some docs on the CEM but haven't gotten my head around what to do with prop pitch yet. Am I correct in understanding that the lower the number (i.e. 80%) the more "bite" the prop takes out of the air? and thus more power? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The explaination I got regarding prop pitch is that it's like working the manual transmission on a car. When climbing for instance, you want it at 100%. 70-80% is good for cruise, with 50% for diving. It does vary a bit per plane, though. I usually keep the throttle no higher then the prop pitch.

4.) Aim correcting with the rudder: I find that when I am behind an enemy plane, I try to line up for a deflection shot, say by using the ailerons to bank my plane, then pull up on the stick to get the sights where I think it should be, but I am inevitably off by a little bit, and use the rudder to correct it to the side a little bit. So when I pull the trigger I basically spray bullets from side to side, rarely score hits, and if I do it seems to take a whole pile of bullets to finally get a kill. Is there another technique for correcting your sight sideways to get lined up? I feel that my technique of using the rudder is horrible, and not only that, it seems to really suck my energy. Anyone have some gunnery advice for me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep an eye on the slip indicator (the ball, usually). If it's not centered, you are slipping. It's tough to do with a twist rudder, you might want to adjust your sensitivity on the rudder axis so it's a little easier to hold in position.

Don't forget to use trim if the plane you are in has it. This will help a lot as well.

You might want to take a look at your convergence as well, you might be firing outside your convergence, in which case the bullets will not converge and destroy the target. Very very important for planes with machine guns in the wings, which is most of the US planes. Experiment with what distance you feel comfortable shooting at, and set it up that way. Everyone is different in this respect, I like to set mine at 200 meters, I know some that set theres to 100, others to 300. It varies from plane to plane, too.

"Check Six: A Virtual Pilot's Guide by J. Steve Thompson" and "In Pursuit: A Pilot's Guide to Online Air Combat by Johan Kylander". I hear that Shaw's book is quite good, but what about these other two? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"in Pursuit" is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and practice. That's the best way to get good at this game.

I hope that helps. I'm not an ace player, but this is just a bit that folks have past onto me over the past year or so.

Aviar
07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
Welcome here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">6.) Skip bombing/bomb delay: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Skip bombing works on ships too.

Usually I use a delay of 1 second.
Enough to get away far enough, except for the heaviest bombloads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you want to blow yourself up like FoolTrottel does half the time, set your bomb delay for 2 seconds.

Aviar

WTE_Galway
07-21-2008, 06:19 PM
1.) WEP. Is there a proper protocol for turning on/off WEP in different planes?

Two main problem planes are the E7 Emil where using WEP will blow the motor if you are not at silly (read 5000m or so) altitudes and the MW50 equipped birds. MW50 must be engaged and disengaged while throttled right back or engine damage occurs.

2.) Damage with radiator cowl open.

No one knows for sure. It appears that at least the IL2 is modelled that way.

3.) What is the relationship with prop-pitch and power?

There are almost entire websites devoted to this topic. Basically you should be using prop pitch to keep the engine in its optimum rev range.

4.) Aim correcting with the rudder:

If you use just enough rudder to centre the ball you are shooting straight. That does not necessarily mean you will hit where the sight points because convergence and deflection still come into play.

Simple answer .. practice offline, start with unlimited ammo at 1/4 speed and make tracks. Replay the tracks to see where your shots are going. Sometimes you will find you are not missing at all its just straight 6 shots with a 0.50 cal at 300 metres do not do a lot, wings are rather thin. Other times you will see what needs correcting. Once you can hit a target at 1/4 speed go up to 1/2 speed and repeat.

5.) Aerial combat tactics.

This is a matter of what suits your style just do lots of reading.

6.) Skip bombing/bomb delay:
basically yes to most of your questions and there are lots of websites about telling how to do it.

7.) Online squads:

Most important thing is get a squad within your timezone. In your case Canada or US by the sounds of it. Do not join a squad that has practice at 3.30 am your time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Most squads are keen to recruit new members and will spend a lot of time training.

Generally speaking in return you are required to do two things if you are a member of a squad. Firstly turn up online if you promised to be there. Do not leave the squad short if they are counting on you. Secondly be civil both in servers and forums and do not give your squad a bad name by behaving like a prat.

Tully__
07-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Prop Pitch:

There are three variations in the aircraft in this game.

1. In a very few of the really early aircraft, it doesn't work because the aircraft in question had fixed pitch propellers. Engine RPM in these aircraft will depend on airspeed and throttle settings.

2. A small number of aircraft (maybe only one, the Bf109E) have a true propeller pitch control (in the 109E it can be switched to auto as well). In this aircraft it directly affects the angle of the propeller blades. You need to be constantly adjusting it to prevent engine overspeed (and failure) in a dive or losing too many rpm when the aircraft slows down in a climb.

3. In the majority of prop aircraft in the game, the prop pitch control actually controls an RPM governor. You set it at the desired RPM (max power/high rpm for combat, best economy/medium RPM for cruise) and it attempts to adjust the prop pitch so that the engine stays at that RPM through varying speed and throttle settings.

STENKA_69.GIAP
07-22-2008, 05:10 AM
If your gunnery sucks it's just a matter of correct training and practice.

Click on my badge to access the 69.GIAP website then look at the training section. Look at the basic gunnery sections in the fighter curriculum - there are missions to download.

The different GIAP training packs are open for anyone to download and try out although kadets make progress far faster with structured feedback from a training officer.

On the radiator question you should close radiator before ground attack. Even in air to air combat try to avoid radiator settings of more than 2. The radiator creates a lot of drag. Typicaly you see new pilots at 100% pitch 110% power plus WEP if avialable and radiator fully open yet still overheating. Often they will be going slower than with lower power/pitch settings and radiator closed. For example try a Yak 1 at 94% pitch 99% power and radiator closed and compare sustainable airspeed with all settings maxed out.

Fully open radiator settings were typicaly there to avoid overheating when stationary or taxiing on the ground.

RegRag1977
07-22-2008, 06:10 AM
Quote by RCAF Stingray

"4.) Aim correcting with the rudder: I find that when I am behind an enemy plane, I try to line up for a deflection shot, say by using the ailerons to bank my plane, then pull up on the stick to get the sights where I think it should be"

That's exactly what the job is about http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

[...], but I am inevitably off by a little bit, and use the rudder to correct it to the side a little bit. So when I pull the trigger I basically spray bullets from side to side, rarely score hits, and if I do it seems to take a whole pile of bullets to finally get a kill. Is there another technique for correcting your sight sideways to get lined up? I feel that my technique of using the rudder is horrible, and not only that, it seems to really suck my energy. Anyone have some gunnery advice for me?"

Hi and welcome!

IL2 is a great game and you'll need time and practice to become good at it.

You will need (as said before) to set your joystick correctly in order to master and anticipate the movement of you aircraft during the shooting phase.
To say it simply, you must have smooth controls so that you can anticipate the target's position if you want to hit it. Your problem seems to be the filtering.

This programm (link below) is a fantastic tool to set your joystick: give it a serious try (you will be able to set above the ingame "limited 100%" and to filter All axes independantly!)

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1021

It will help you if you give it a serious try! But, again you'll still have to train a lot: there are no instant magic solutions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S! and Good Luck

blairgowrie
07-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Please check your Private Topics RCAFStingray.

RCAFStingray
07-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow, thanks for the replies everyone, great information, all my questions were pretty much answered.

One more question: is prop wash modeled? Like flying right behind a plane in formation be troublesome? Is it really a concern/danger? I ask because my only experience with prop wash is the scene in Top Gun where Moose dies (I think it was moose anyway), and that isn't exactly prop wash.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">http://www.darts-page.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These videos are awesome! I sure learned a lot by watching them, and I'll have to watch them a few times for some of the lessons to sink in. Particularly, it was good to see what "good" flying looked like, so controlled and minimal in the movements compared to the over-correcting and jerkiness of my flying.

The link to MarkShot's STK/EAW Guide was also very good, tons of information. I can't belive I didn't find it, as I have been through most of Mission4Today and have googled several times for docs on aerial combat/maneuvers. Does anyone know if there is a combined PDF file of the STK/EAW? I found a link on one forum to a file for this but it no longer exists.

Anyway, thanks, been hitting single player missions and working on my flying after all this great info,

Stingray

ImMoreBetter
07-22-2008, 03:25 PM
One more question: is prop wash modeled? Like flying right behind a plane in formation be troublesome? Is it really a concern/danger? I ask because my only experience with prop wash is the scene in Top Gun where Moose dies (I think it was moose anyway), and that isn't exactly prop wash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it is not modeled, some programing limitation, IIRC.

And it's Goose, Maverik and Goose.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The link to MarkShot's STK/EAW Guide was also very good, tons of information. I can't belive I didn't find it, as I have been through most of Mission4Today and have googled several times for docs on aerial combat/maneuvers. Does anyone know if there is a combined PDF file of the STK/EAW? I found a link on one forum to a file for this but it no longer exists. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

here. (http://www.simhq.com/_air/PDF/STK_EAW_v106.pdf)

mortoma
07-22-2008, 06:53 PM
As far as the MW-50 on the 109s, it's a myth that you have to engage it at low RPMs. As long as you engage it at 99% or lower, you're alright. I've done it thousands of times. Drop down to 99%, activate it and off you go.

KrashanTopolova
07-22-2008, 09:12 PM
1.) WEP is at most around 5 seconds of kill range acceleration. It seems better on the US aircraft such as P-47 and P-38 (in my view). It can lead to overheating but not in 5 seconds.

2.) feather the prop (if fitted) for engine damage. Radial-engine cowls if anything might help deflect a bullet from the engine.

3.) Use lower pitch to slow the Propellor down faster and get it back in sync with the RPM of the engine. Use finest pitch to accelerate faster and to slow down faster. Use lower pitch at cruise for fuel economy. In advanced combat techniques prop pitch can be used both to speed up and slow down. I have nothing more to say on that (I don't want to give anything away) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

4.) Don't use rudder as a beginner lest you go into a skid while trying to aim...use the sight for deflection shooting. A RL technique was developed for training deflection shooting by Wing Commnder Clive Caldwell RAAF. In the Western Desert he would play with the shadows of his wingmen's aircraft on the ground. Thus was developed the Australian training technique of 'Shadow Shooting'. If you try it be careful of the ground as you come onto the shadow from different directions. il-2 probably won't give you the RL shadow projections (they appear and disappear randomly)

5.)

6.) Fuses on delay were designed to cause maximum kill by fooling the enemy into thinking that the bomb was dud. When they lifted their heads or stood up then...
In addition, a delayed fuse helped with better penetration. Default delay is fine for most purposes.

7.)

Good Luck!