PDA

View Full Version : FW190 A4 engine should have mw50

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 12:10 PM
Hello all.

Have any of you noticed that a-4 is missing the methanol boost? The difference between a4 and a5: a5 had more radio etc equipment added to the tail section of the plane and slight modifications had to be made to engine placement to keep the center of gravity in place, thus making the a5 about 15cm longer.

They both had the exactly same engine and boost system.

Why is the mw50 missing in a-4?

-pozzu

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 12:10 PM
Hello all.

Have any of you noticed that a-4 is missing the methanol boost? The difference between a4 and a5: a5 had more radio etc equipment added to the tail section of the plane and slight modifications had to be made to engine placement to keep the center of gravity in place, thus making the a5 about 15cm longer.

They both had the exactly same engine and boost system.

Why is the mw50 missing in a-4?

-pozzu

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Afaik it is correct. Early A-5 weren't equipped with MW-50, it was added later. There was no MW-50 in the A-4. Consider the MW-50 in A-5 an extra bonus, it is not a must.

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 01:11 PM
pls keep in mind that the "W" activatet Boost (Sondernotleistung) of the Fw190A5/8/9 & F8 has nothing to do with the MW50 system in FB ! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

its "only" an extra fuel injection - but it had a similar effect like MW50, so, they choose this system.

so far its known the MW50 was NEVER in active service with any BMW driven Fw190.

and in FB the A4 and A5 has both an BMW801D-2 BUT, thje A4 has an derated one /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

http://www.jagdgeschwader53.flugzeugwerk.net/diverses/franky.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 01:24 PM
JtD wrote:
- Afaik it is correct. Early A-5 weren't equipped with
- MW-50, it was added later. There was no MW-50 in the
- A-4. Consider the MW-50 in A-5 an extra bonus,

Maybe it wasn't mw50 but since the german engine boost systems aren't modeled correctly anyway it dont matter what I call it. What matters is the change in engine config was in between a3 and a4, NOT between a4 and a5. I have fairly good documentation on the matter and I will check it after work (and then I have the correct name for the system too /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif )

I'll be back with source info. I have a sharp recollection that the book stated there was a boost mechanism in a-4 and no changes were made to engine systems except moving it slightly forward in A5

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 01:32 PM
This should be interesting./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TurboPorsas wrote:

-
- Maybe it wasn't mw50 but since the german engine
- boost systems aren't modeled correctly anyway it
- dont matter what I call it. What matters is the
- change in engine config was in between a3 and a4,
- NOT between a4 and a5. I have fairly good
- documentation on the matter and I will check it
- after work (and then I have the correct name for the
- system too
-
-

http://www.thundercycle.com/photos/dropdead2.gif

"Only a dead 'chamber pot' is a good 'chamber pot'!"

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 01:33 PM
JG53Frankyboy wrote:
- its "only" an extra fuel injection - but it had a
- similar effect like MW50, so, they choose this
- system.
-
- so far its known the MW50 was NEVER in active
- service with any BMW driven Fw190.

Here is a google-cached info page about fw190's and it is consistent with my original info. The original page doesnt seem to be alive any more but the cache even has some nice pictures /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Go check there

http://www.google.fi/search?q=cachehttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gifW9-tqFgez0J:lemairesoft.digitalrice.com/engins2/869.html+fw+190+a-4&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8

EDIT: This is not my original source, just something I found after 20 seconds of searching. I have the book at home so tomorrow u get the publisher and title.

Message Edited on 10/08/0303:38PM by TurboPorsas

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 01:57 PM
yep, sure, these statements of the Fw190A-4 with MW50 equipement are well known /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

also all of my books have that inside BUT

after long descussions here and some manufacturer datas the conclusion was : NO MW50 an an in service beeing Fw190A4

and the additional 115litres tank of the A8, that was planed to be filled with MW50, was used as a plus range additianla normal fueltank - and the "fuel injection"- Sondernotleistung used normal fuel.

btw, im the last one who didnt want MW50 in his W├╝rger /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif - but if there was no in real , i dont want one in the game

http://www.jagdgeschwader53.flugzeugwerk.net/diverses/franky.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 02:49 PM
I agree with you "if it wasn't there irl then dont put it in the game" but if even some a4 had it then put it in. Goes for all the armament options too.. sc1000, torp etc.

still it's strange that all available info implies the mw50 being there. Was the "no mw50"-documentation written in cyrillic letters? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Theres a load of russian planes in the game with the best configurations available even though only a small minority actually had them and the rest flew (or crashed) with makedo equipment. In the german side we are missing this.

-pozzu

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 04:45 PM
Kinda like that lagg41 gets that magical engine that never overheats.

There was only one lagg '41 ever in operation with that magical overheat proof engine.

It flew in some poor russian's imagination as he was fighting to get his overheating real lagg back home.

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 05:11 PM
all sources I have found show the bmw801-D2 being fitted in the A3-A8. When the engine was moved farther forward in the A5, there was more room for cooling, therefore it could be run at higher manifold pressure. The A3 and A4 were the ones that were identical accept radio equipment.

"Ich bin ein Wuergerwhiner"

"The future battle on the ground will be preceded by battle in the air. This will determine which of the contestants has to suffer operational and tactical disadvantages and be forced throughout the battle into adoption compromise solutions." --Erwin Rommel

http://lbhskier37.freeservers.com/Mesig.jpg
--NJG26_Killa--

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 06:17 AM
Ok, I checked the info and heres the real type of boost: MW1. The A-4 and A-5 both had the same kind of boost system so in that sense the difference is between a-3 and a-4.

When ppl have checked manufacturer data on this issue have they for example checked availability of mw50 during a certain time instead of mw1?

I would like proof on the no-side since there is a huge bunch of books and files on the net which all state that there was a boost in a-4

This in my opinion is an important matter so please bear with me /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

-pozzu

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 06:21 AM
There were no kind of fluid boost on the A4 just the usual mechanlical 110% boost. Even the boost system currently depicted on FB's A5 was not standard but delivered as a kit. Few A5 were equipped with this system.

Butch

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 08:10 AM
butch2k wrote:
- There were no kind of fluid boost on the A4 just the
- usual mechanlical 110% boost. Even the boost system
- currently depicted on FB's A5 was not standard but
- delivered as a kit. Few A5 were equipped with this
- system.
-
- Butch
-

Where is this information from? I would really like to see proof before I believe that all books on the subject are incorrect.

-possu

PS. Reason to move a-5 engine wasn't the cooling according to my book on the model, it was to restore center of gravity after extra radio equipment had been put into the fuselage and heavier armament added.