PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed= Child's Play=*Spoilers*

BorrisDream
11-17-2007, 01:23 PM
First off, let me just say that I love all the POP games, and I was on board with this game when I first heard about it. That said, I wanted to express my concerns about this game after playing through it. Just so you know I'll be ranting & raving here so you can stop reading now if u like...

The Good: Graphics-Self-explanatory
Horse Riding-First time I actually liked riding a horse in a game...much better than say in Oblivion.
Free Running & Fighting guards on top of roofs. I love how when fighting multiple guards I just strike one of the guards once on the edge of a buiding and hear them fall to their deaths.
Beggars & Vigilantes-I love how beggars would keep harassing you and I would always end up striking my hidden blade into their flesh. Also, Vigilantes were helpful and meaningful aspect in the game. By saving citizens you were aligned with vigilantes which were always helpful when trying to outrun guards.
Overall Fun factor-I had a lot of fun playing the game.

The Bad-

The Story-
Why include a future aspect into this game? Totally unnecessary and far- fetched. This game should have started with the idea of having taken place in the past period. Since you did include it you should have waited until the end of the game to deliver in on that info. Having the dumb twist revealed so early on into the game I never appreciated really playing as Altair. I think the whole future aspect was introduced into the game as a way as overlooking the poor execution on the game's part itself in overall gameplay & bug problems. These 'glitches' are so apparent as a transition into a cutscene they might have as well kept it that way instead of having me 'push the button' every time.
Also, so what that I didn't follow the creed...your going to take away all my weapons and abilities... I have to redeem myself by killing more people...duh ...I am an assassin! There's no need to redeem myself. **** happens. Give me my weapons & abilities in the beg. of the game. Altair is suppose to be a bad *** assassin. Instead, I was left feeling like someone's errand boy/*****. I hated those side missions where I needed to recover flags/assasinations. I could not understood it because they were also assassins-they could have easily done the task themselves. "Altair my back hurts...could you run & help me??"
Assassin's Creed should have been like...Altair a bad *** assassin is given a list of death warrants (like 50 or more so assassinations to do) & thats that... the rest of the game is you trying to figure out how to kill all those people. Here's where it gets interesting...
After, the first assassination everything else in the game is completely the same...Nothing new is ever introduced... I would kill the intended target and run away and get chased by guards for like 30 secs. Woo Hoo. You give me 3 beautiful cities to explore, but there was never anything to really FIND. Give me more ways to assassinate someone. Give me more things to do in the game. GIVE ME MORE! I will stop with the story aspect here...Now

Gameplay-
sux *** to be an assassin-Your never really in control of Altair in combat fighting. Mind you all of the counterstrikes are nice to see and execute but your never actually the one carrying out those particular moves. What I mean is during combat fighting you can't directly kill someone...if you strike the guards they will most of the time block it...you are forced to counter attack in order to strike down your opponent and all the counter attacks are random you can't really pick which counter attack to execute.

Poor AI-
They should have raised the difficulty factor in the game by like 100%. Should have had nothing but Templars fighting against you in the game. Instead I could kill whoever I want right next to a guard and run away easily. Also, just because I might accidently push myself into a guard doesn't warrant suspicion for him to attack me everytime.

Lacks common sense-Altair- he is suppose to be a very athletic complex assassin yet he can't manage to survive in water, but he can fall off a three story building and survive no problem. For an assassin, he sticks out like a sore thumb in a crowd. I love Altair's character in general the look everything but if you compare it with the rest of the characters in the cities he is easily identifiable. I never 'blended' in once in a crowd. I did kill a lot of them though...I had to 'create' my own game within this game just to make it more fun to play. I understood that i have to make myself stand out with evey assissination but there is no reason not to include the night time aspect in the game. The realism would increase dramatically.
More Importantly-There is no replay value in this game after you complete it whatsover.
Unlike POP series or Ninja Gaiden- I could pick up those games anytime and enjoy playing again and again.

There is more to rant about but I do not want to bore you any further ... I just wanted to pass on my opinion to Ubisoft and hope they listen...

In the end, I did enjoy the game. I liked what they were trying to do but they missed the mark in a lot of crucial ways. The cities look great I mean you actually feel as if you were there at some points... but the overall gameplay is where this game does not deliver. Ubisoft gave us so much...I could not understand how this game could go so wrong. The environment is setup beautifully but the story/gameplay sux so bad. You should have taken a page out of POP and added more difficulty/different ways to assassinate the target/more things to do in a game besides finding flags!/ I had more fun trying to find flags/killing civilians then I did assassinating the intended target. I hope Assassin's 2 is more developed & polished. I still can't believe you guys had 4 years to work on the game. I hope the next POP makes up for the money i spent on this game. One more thing, you gotta get Altair's voice right. It doesn't feel right inspite of the story aspect of the game.

I promise never to write this much again... I was just dissappointed with the overall experience and had to rant about this b/c I just could not understand why this game did not measure up with ubisoft's past titles. Plus, I spent the $$$ on it, and I wanted to express my 2 cents worth. Look forward to the next POP!

BorrisDream
11-17-2007, 01:23 PM
First off, let me just say that I love all the POP games, and I was on board with this game when I first heard about it. That said, I wanted to express my concerns about this game after playing through it. Just so you know I'll be ranting & raving here so you can stop reading now if u like...

Horse Riding-First time I actually liked riding a horse in a game...much better than say in Oblivion.
Free Running & Fighting guards on top of roofs. I love how when fighting multiple guards I just strike one of the guards once on the edge of a buiding and hear them fall to their deaths.
Beggars & Vigilantes-I love how beggars would keep harassing you and I would always end up striking my hidden blade into their flesh. Also, Vigilantes were helpful and meaningful aspect in the game. By saving citizens you were aligned with vigilantes which were always helpful when trying to outrun guards.

The Bad-

The Story-
Why include a future aspect into this game? Totally unnecessary and far- fetched. This game should have started with the idea of having taken place in the past period. Since you did include it you should have waited until the end of the game to deliver in on that info. Having the dumb twist revealed so early on into the game I never appreciated really playing as Altair. I think the whole future aspect was introduced into the game as a way as overlooking the poor execution on the game's part itself in overall gameplay & bug problems. These 'glitches' are so apparent as a transition into a cutscene they might have as well kept it that way instead of having me 'push the button' every time.
Also, so what that I didn't follow the creed...your going to take away all my weapons and abilities... I have to redeem myself by killing more people...duh ...I am an assassin! There's no need to redeem myself. **** happens. Give me my weapons & abilities in the beg. of the game. Altair is suppose to be a bad *** assassin. Instead, I was left feeling like someone's errand boy/*****. I hated those side missions where I needed to recover flags/assasinations. I could not understood it because they were also assassins-they could have easily done the task themselves. "Altair my back hurts...could you run & help me??"
Assassin's Creed should have been like...Altair a bad *** assassin is given a list of death warrants (like 50 or more so assassinations to do) & thats that... the rest of the game is you trying to figure out how to kill all those people. Here's where it gets interesting...
After, the first assassination everything else in the game is completely the same...Nothing new is ever introduced... I would kill the intended target and run away and get chased by guards for like 30 secs. Woo Hoo. You give me 3 beautiful cities to explore, but there was never anything to really FIND. Give me more ways to assassinate someone. Give me more things to do in the game. GIVE ME MORE! I will stop with the story aspect here...Now

Gameplay-
sux *** to be an assassin-Your never really in control of Altair in combat fighting. Mind you all of the counterstrikes are nice to see and execute but your never actually the one carrying out those particular moves. What I mean is during combat fighting you can't directly kill someone...if you strike the guards they will most of the time block it...you are forced to counter attack in order to strike down your opponent and all the counter attacks are random you can't really pick which counter attack to execute.

Poor AI-
They should have raised the difficulty factor in the game by like 100%. Should have had nothing but Templars fighting against you in the game. Instead I could kill whoever I want right next to a guard and run away easily. Also, just because I might accidently push myself into a guard doesn't warrant suspicion for him to attack me everytime.

Lacks common sense-Altair- he is suppose to be a very athletic complex assassin yet he can't manage to survive in water, but he can fall off a three story building and survive no problem. For an assassin, he sticks out like a sore thumb in a crowd. I love Altair's character in general the look everything but if you compare it with the rest of the characters in the cities he is easily identifiable. I never 'blended' in once in a crowd. I did kill a lot of them though...I had to 'create' my own game within this game just to make it more fun to play. I understood that i have to make myself stand out with evey assissination but there is no reason not to include the night time aspect in the game. The realism would increase dramatically.
More Importantly-There is no replay value in this game after you complete it whatsover.
Unlike POP series or Ninja Gaiden- I could pick up those games anytime and enjoy playing again and again.

There is more to rant about but I do not want to bore you any further ... I just wanted to pass on my opinion to Ubisoft and hope they listen...

In the end, I did enjoy the game. I liked what they were trying to do but they missed the mark in a lot of crucial ways. The cities look great I mean you actually feel as if you were there at some points... but the overall gameplay is where this game does not deliver. Ubisoft gave us so much...I could not understand how this game could go so wrong. The environment is setup beautifully but the story/gameplay sux so bad. You should have taken a page out of POP and added more difficulty/different ways to assassinate the target/more things to do in a game besides finding flags!/ I had more fun trying to find flags/killing civilians then I did assassinating the intended target. I hope Assassin's 2 is more developed & polished. I still can't believe you guys had 4 years to work on the game. I hope the next POP makes up for the money i spent on this game. One more thing, you gotta get Altair's voice right. It doesn't feel right inspite of the story aspect of the game.

I promise never to write this much again... I was just dissappointed with the overall experience and had to rant about this b/c I just could not understand why this game did not measure up with ubisoft's past titles. Plus, I spent the $$$ on it, and I wanted to express my 2 cents worth. Look forward to the next POP!

Altair778
11-17-2007, 01:25 PM
I think the main reason for the scfi twist was that they realized historical accuaracy would come into question. Also, it gives them alot more space to expand the story

MiniAssasin
11-17-2007, 01:39 PM
the only thing im gonna bother to reply to is that people block your attacks theres no point attacking them.

well if you hit th button the minute ur sword hits theirs you insta kill them in a variety of other counter type kills

RJ325
11-17-2007, 01:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BorrisDream:
Gameplay-
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your problem here is rhythm. There were some complaints by people about this same problem, but I think one review I read sums it up quite nicely. The journalist referred to the fighting as 'DDR for swordplay' and that's pretty much the nail on the head. Apply the timing you use for counters on the timing you use for sword strokes. If you strike someone with your sword, and the moment your blades collide, you follow it up with another strike, you get a nifty little death animation brought about by your own timing, not whether or not the other guy tried to slash Altair.

Also, things like defensive breaks, dodging, grabs, and grab breaks liven up the combat, but it's all for nothing if you can't find the rhythm. You're either timing it right and look like an unstoppable monster in a fight, or your slapping buttons, getting blocked, and being forced to wait for them to strike you. It's pretty much one or the other for this game.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the sword-chaining combos only apply when your sword hits either their sword solidly or their body, not when they deflect your blade.

luke100
11-17-2007, 02:00 PM
I agree that twist was simply a spoiler of what would of been a good enough storyline.
I also think altair 'being afraid of water' is another way of ubisoft saying,' we cant be arsed making the swimming animations'

BorrisDream
11-18-2007, 07:12 AM
There were a lot of annoying things in this game, but yeah the "twist" along with the 'glitches' ruined the story/gameplay for me anyway. They should have saved it till the end of the game.

AirRon_2K7
11-18-2007, 07:58 AM
That's your opinion.

tmug
11-18-2007, 07:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BorrisDream:

The Bad-

The Story-

Gameplay-

Poor AI-

I promise never to write this much again... I was just dissappointed with the overall experience and had to rant about this b/c I just could not understand why this game did not measure up with ubisoft's past titles. Plus, I spent the $$$ on it, and I wanted to express my 2 cents worth. Look forward to the next POP! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

right on, brother!

avsrule247
11-18-2007, 08:00 AM
BorrisDream is quite the moron and doesn't understand a lot of the gameplay elements such as the story line and the sci fi twist. I am not going to go through and argue him point by point, I just wanted to tell everyone that he is a moron.

AirRon_2K7
11-18-2007, 08:04 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

If you don't like the story... then fair enough. But you completely miss the point... of the whole game, if you don't like it...

So return it, and play PoP, which you seem to compare it too...

LoveForTheLine
11-18-2007, 08:06 AM
The future aspect was there to set this up for a sequel. I beat the game last night, took my time, played through it and did all the investigations and side jobs, and I enjoyed it. MAYBE if you took your time and enjoyed it instead of rushing through it you would've enjoyed it more.

ScytheOfGrim
11-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Hmm.... I never realised that PoP had so much replayability... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I really found no incentive togo through the story again...
But it was still amazing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway... it would seem that our circus monkey Borris (love that name in a Russian accent xD) has missed out on half the game.

I have a question for you Borris, did you skip the very first tutorial in Mayaf?

It would sadly seem so... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Robbinho1992
11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
I find it funny that msot of the people who psot these "AC is ****" threads all ahev joined this forum like in the past week, and then expect as to find there opinons worthy? If you ahd been following the game, you would know that the Sci-fi is there from the begining, thats where the whole game is based around. You can change that, it has to be there. I think that the stroy telling is fantastic, it tells you what you need to knoe, gets you thinking whos on your side, who isnt, what the game is about, and you find out. The game is good, but like in all my other posts latly, this game was an Experiment, like the Animus Machine oer ce, and its new concept. its also a video game, which has been developed from scratch for about 4 years. I believe they did a very good job at the game, minor descrepences yes, but what game hasnt.

pillaysteven
11-18-2007, 10:47 AM
The Bad-

The Story-

Gameplay-

Poor AI-

I promise never to write this much again... I was just dissappointed with the overall experience and had to rant about this b/c I just could not understand why this game did not measure up with ubisoft's past titles. Plus, I spent the $$$ on it, and I wanted to express my 2 cents worth. Look forward to the next POP! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree with some of the things you say.

First off I really liked the futuristic aspect and the whole conspiracy theory thing. I think it was great the way, when you died you would resynchronise instead of getting a game over screen. Makes me remember Prince of Persia: Sands of Time when the prince would say "No, it didn't happen like that" or something similar. The people who made SOT knew that people really liked that aspect and were probably trying to do something similar here.

I think the glitches during cut-scenes were fine as it allowed you to keep control of the player or not as you pleased. I kinda liked at times to turn my back on the guy I was speaking to when Altair paused as if he was deep in thought. Just something I enjoyed doing. I thought the presentation of these cut-scenes was excellent and the fact that the NPCs walked around while talking looked very natural and believable. The voice acting was great and I had no problems with Altair's voice at all.

And what do you mean so what you didn't follow the creed. That's like saying so what I didn't follow the law... and then you get your *** thrown in jail. If you are a member of the clan you must respect the rules of the clan. I don't know why you have a problem with that.

If you read the manual you would see the reason behind killing the 60 templars (ie. it was rumoured that Altair killed all the templars in the Holy Land.

The flags are ok though I think they could have given people something for every flag or every 10 flags they collect. Although that would remove some of the immersiveness of the story.

You say POP has better replay value than this game or at least you imply it. That is bull, plain and simple. POP has a single route and predetermined path in every single section of the game while this game doesn't. While you have objectives, how you go about them and the path you take to get to them is often up to you. I'm not saying the POP games are bad by any means, I love those games but this implication of yours is false.

You are not forced to counter attack. You can dodge attacks, break defences, and do timed combos. I probably killed more people using timed combos than counter attacks. You obviously didn't pay attention to the tutorials.

I agree that pushing into a guard should not warrant a red alert. However I do agree with it later in the game (ie last few assassinations) when word of you has spread and the clothes you wear have been described and spread among the guards.

I do agree with you that a night-time aspect was sorely missed. Though when you think about, the easiest way to assassinate people is when they are out in the open unless you use poison or something. Still night would have been nice.

Anyway I disagree with most of what you said though a few of your points I hope Ubi will take on board for the next game.

rimplebutt
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
I just finished the game! Ending is confusing BUT plz tell me how after the 9 assassinations are any different from killing normal guards in the game? Kill the target and run away. Got it, but I do not see any significant difference. That is no different from fighting guards in the cities or in the countryside. This game was a total letdown.

iPlunder
11-28-2007, 03:25 PM
This game is not a let down. All of you just had your expectations through the roof and when the game didn't deliver to your overly enthusiastic noobish little minds you think the game sucks.