PDA

View Full Version : Which Gaming Mag is best?

ProdiGurl
12-27-2011, 06:14 AM
I've never bothered w/ gaming magazines but I think I might be interested in them now.
I was wondering which ones (if any) you think are any good for whatever reasons?

Or are they useless?

GLHS
12-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Game Informer is normally at the top of the list. Depends on what you play. I'm sure the PC mag for PC players is good, and there's also the Official Playstation Magazine, but I haven't read many of them. I get Game Informer, and their reviews are pretty unbiased and accurate. They also have interesting articles on games that aren't always in the direct spotlight, and things in gaming in general.

ProdiGurl
12-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the detailed info, it's helpful.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Black_Widow9
12-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by GLHS:
Game Informer is normally at the top of the list. Depends on what you play. I'm sure the PC mag for PC players is good, and there's also the Official Playstation Magazine, but I haven't read many of them. I get Game Informer, and their reviews are pretty unbiased and accurate. They also have interesting articles on games that aren't always in the direct spotlight, and things in gaming in general.

This. I get GameInformer, Xbox and Nintendo Power. Like GLHS said GI isn't console biased and if you are a visual person as well they have big pretty pages. lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

FrankieSatt
12-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
I've never bothered w/ gaming magazines but I think I might be interested in them now.
I was wondering which ones (if any) you think are any good for whatever reasons?

Or are they useless?

They are all *** kissers just trying to get the next exclusive.

NONE OF THEM are worth 2 cents any more. You don't need them, just look online and do your own research as to whether you like a game or not.

SixKeys
12-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Honestly I don't see the purpose of game mags anymore. You can't really trust their reviews all the time because you never know if they are being sponsored by certain companies. Most of the exclusive game footage, images and interviews quickly find their way on the internet and independent web-based reviewers have more freedom to be honest in their reviews.

gamertam
12-27-2011, 07:15 PM
To be honest, i do have both subscriptions to GameInformer and Official Xbox Magazine (OXM) for the past couple of years now. Both are great in term of reviews and previews of upcoming titles and current titles. Are they biased? i guess it depends how you look at it. I compares to what on online and my conclusion is pretty much the same. Sure some reviews are better than others, but the overall scores to any one game is the same give or take +/- half score here and there.

What's best about OXM is with each magazine it included a playing disc. Within these disc, are loaded with demos, gamer pics, trialers etc. However, recently i'd gotten lazy reading cover to cover.

(this remains me to re-new my OXM's subscription.)

kriegerdesgottes
12-28-2011, 12:04 AM
I would def recommend Gameinformer. 3 out of the 4 AC games have been announced/shown through Gameinformer which is the main reason I got it in the first place but they always have great articles about the gaming industry in general.

jmk1999
12-28-2011, 12:15 AM
my gamestop subscription to GI never kicked in... lame... anyway, i'd say for content, maybe GI... from what i've seen. for aesthetics (i'm a print major and a slight bibliophile) i'd say that Edge is kinda pretty to look at.

Chronomaancy
12-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Google.

LordWolv
12-28-2011, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Chronomaancy:
Google.

XxKillaChaosxX
12-28-2011, 02:52 AM
In this day and age of instant news thanks to the internet, Game Informer still has exclusive reveals. More so than than any other mag.

InfectedNation
12-28-2011, 03:13 AM
Most gaming mags these days are just biased towards any FPS games. *coughCallOfDutycough*

ProdiGurl
12-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
I would def recommend Gameinformer. 3 out of the 4 AC games have been announced/shown through Gameinformer which is the main reason I got it in the first place but they always have great articles about the gaming industry in general.

Ya that's the type of info/news I'm looking for. I really don't know much of anything outside the specific games I like - I'd like to read articles from game creators too.

I don't know where to find that stuff online... I mainly just play my favorite games & that's it. I'd like to start knowing more about things but just don't know where to find it.

I checked out GI's online mag demo & it had an AC piece in it.

Dom:
my gamestop subscription to GI never kicked in... lame... anyway, i'd say for content, maybe GI... from what i've seen. for aesthetics (i'm a print major and a slight bibliophile) i'd say that Edge is kinda pretty to look at.

Black Widow:
This. I get GameInformer, Xbox and Nintendo Power. Like GLHS said GI isn't console biased and if you are a visual person as well they have big pretty pages. lol Wink2

Yep - I'm very visual (plus a smiley addict lol), that always matters to me (was into digital graphics/web design for years till I got burned out on it).

@ Dom hope you get that resolved & get your issues.
I notice they have the Online mag or Print...I think I'd prefer print.

I just checked out the Xbox mag site - lots of info there.

Thanks for all these helpful posts w/ your views - even the ones on why not to subscribe are helpful.
I don't have money to waste on bad games for now & I rely alot on reviews but I want genuine reviews & opinions, not paid loyalty to a franchise.
It would be hard to know what's genuine & what's bought.

Most gaming mags these days are just biased towards any FPS games. *coughCallOfDutycough*

I have to admit that the few I've played were really fun - but... I just don't see all the buzz for them --- so many of them.
Talk about repetative.

I seem to prefer stuff that has more story or atmosphere to them I guess.
I'm still trying to find a good Strategy game.