PDA

View Full Version : Factoid

AtlantikEel
12-17-2007, 06:05 PM
From u-boat.net:

Dec.17,1941
U-131 . Aircraft attack, aircraft shot down:
British Martlet (Sqdn 802 FAA)
This was the first aircraft shot down by a U-boat in the war. U-131 was sunk immediately afterwards by aircraft bombs and several destroyers.

No men where lost when this U-boat was lost and 47 men survived.
Survivors from U-boats almost always landed in allied captivity.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I was mildly surprised that this happened so late into the war. Something to keep in mind when we're downing Swordfish in 1939!</span>

AtlantikEel
12-17-2007, 06:05 PM
From u-boat.net:

Dec.17,1941
U-131 . Aircraft attack, aircraft shot down:
British Martlet (Sqdn 802 FAA)
This was the first aircraft shot down by a U-boat in the war. U-131 was sunk immediately afterwards by aircraft bombs and several destroyers.

No men where lost when this U-boat was lost and 47 men survived.
Survivors from U-boats almost always landed in allied captivity.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I was mildly surprised that this happened so late into the war. Something to keep in mind when we're downing Swordfish in 1939!</span>

Kaleun1961
12-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Relatively few Allied aircraft were shot down by U-boats during the war, compared to the number of U-boat vs. aircraft encounters. U-boats usually preferred to dive rather than risk getting into a duel with planes. The odds were greatly in the favour of the aircraft.

Foehammer-1
12-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Because we all know what happens when a plane strafes the boat, riddling the tower with machine gun hail. I mean, those gunenrs didnt have any protection at all... I'd dive for cover, personally.