PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hey all you R/C jockeys

flox
06-16-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm relatively new to R/C and I'm having a strange problem with my equipment. About 50% I switch my controller on, all the servos in my airplane just "freak out": they twitch rapidly in either direction, or some of the axes switch (aileron lever now controls elevators, for example). I just bought a new receiver, so I guess the problem must lie with my controller.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether there will be any way to save my controller, or I need to buy a new one. The controller is an old JR Max 6. Any advice?

P.S. For future reference, to what forum(s) do you guys take your R/C problems?

flox
06-16-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm relatively new to R/C and I'm having a strange problem with my equipment. About 50% I switch my controller on, all the servos in my airplane just "freak out": they twitch rapidly in either direction, or some of the axes switch (aileron lever now controls elevators, for example). I just bought a new receiver, so I guess the problem must lie with my controller.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether there will be any way to save my controller, or I need to buy a new one. The controller is an old JR Max 6. Any advice?

P.S. For future reference, to what forum(s) do you guys take your R/C problems?

knightflyte
06-16-2005, 10:56 AM
It's been a LONG LONG time since I flew RC.
I kind of miss it. I stepped into a hobby shop and dang those planes are expensive now. But, the radio portion is dirt cheap. (relatively speaking that is)

I'd check batteries first. Change them if you're able.

Are there outside variables that you may not beaware of during that 50% time? Things like police scanners or a transmission tower that the new reciever may be sensative.

On SIMHQ there's an RC forum:

http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Also google can help find ANYTHING you may need, and there's a few RC pilots here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Goodluck.......... what do you fly anyway?

VonKlugermon
06-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Sounds like interference - was there any other flyers nearby when you tested? Perhaps someone with the same frequency and or other interference/batteries as Knightflyte said. With all of the other electronic gadgetry out there interference is one of the most common causes of failures in an R/C vehicle (besides "fat-fingering!).

Good Luck!

Willy

PS: Futaba makes some great stuff if you need new radios!

reverendkrv1972
06-16-2005, 11:46 AM
certainly does sound like interferance from another transmitter,where were you testing it?

I'd recommend Futaba too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
my challenger 6 is over 10 years old & still going good(though the ribbon i have on the aerial is a little frayed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

Rev

KarayaEine
06-16-2005, 01:18 PM
What do you mean by "About 50% I switch my controller on" ?

The description of your servo behavior sounds like interference or low battery voltage (on either the Rx, Tx or both)

Are you using a JR Rx? Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics receivers are not compatible with JR. JR uses positive shift on the signal while the others use negative shift.

Is your Rx antenna 'unfurled' and stretched out? If it's all wadded up and tangled you would see servo jitters. Make sure it's stretched to it's full length with no knots in it. Make sure the end isn't frayed and that where it enters the Rx there's no damaged wire.

The Rx could also have a loose or bad solder joint on the circuit board. Does the problem happen only with your new Rx or does it happen with the old one?

Are there any electronic devices nearby that may be eminating RF? (microwaves, cell phones, radios, etc.) Though a remote possibility this could be a cause.

Does the problem happen with your Tx antenna collaped or extended or both? Does it happen when you are close to the Rx with the Tx or far away? Or at any distance?

Did you check the switch harness from the Rx to the Rx battery? Sometimes these go bad. You can plug the Rx battery directly into any Rx channel slot and have power to verify this.

You didn't say if this happened with the motor running or if the motor was off. Are you using an electric or gas (glow) motor? If it's an electric you may have 'noise' from the motor causing you trouble. there also may be some metal to metal contact that is causing RF. If it's a gasoline motor is the ignition shielded?

lots of things to connsider.

Try RCUniverse.com for a great forum to learn and discuss RC issues.

hth

Johann

Owlsphone
06-16-2005, 03:59 PM
I don't fly R/C planes but when I was a kid and I would play with my R/C cars sometimes the wheels would spaz out on their own when another kids car was around. I think it's interference from another source.

sunflower1
06-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Karaya's list is great, one suggestion. Replace your airborne wiring harness every couple of seasons, those little slide switches are extremely unreliable and if you use one long enough, you'll lose a plane. Wiring harnesses are cheap.

If you're near a lot of people there's probably somebody on your frequency nearby- classic interference symptoms. Fly at a field with frequency control and with others who know the lay of the land locally regarding interference. Changing frequency modules is a possible solution. The fact that it only happens half the time points this direction, too.