PDA

View Full Version : Interesting JG53 history inside!

PBNA-Boosher
01-31-2005, 04:41 PM
I thought you guys might like this tidbit of info about Stab.JG53's Bf-109E-3's during the Battle of Britain. I find it a very cool chapter of the Luftwaffe's history and comradery between the squadron pilots and their commanders:

The Geschwader Kommodore of Stab.JG53 during 1940 was Major Hans-Jurgen von Cramon-Taubadel. During the Battle of Britain, as it did throughout the second world war, JG53 flew Bf-109's. In this period of 1940 the Bf-109E-3 was the version that most pilots were given. There were two 7.92mm machine guns (MG17) mounted on the nose above the inverted Daimler Benz engine and two 20mm cannon (MGFF) mounted in the wings. While JG53 was making a reputation for itself during the Battle of Britain, information fell to Reichsmarshall Goering that Major Jurgen von Cramon-Taubadel's wife was Jewish. Inflamed at this fact, Goering ordered the whole of Stab.JG53 to remove the "Pik As" from their planes, and replace it with a red stripe around the engine cowling of their Bf-109's, as punishment for this "outrageous insult to the Fuhrer." All of Stab.JG53's planes immediately were stripped of their "Pik As" insignia, but soon afterward, the whole of Stab.JG53 stripped the swastikas off the tails of their planes in protest to this "mark of shame." During the entire Battle of Britain, Stab.JG53's planes were easily recognizable because of the red band around their engine cowlings, as well as the absence of a swastika on the tail of their Bf-109's. Soon after the battle, due, no doubt to the protest of the pilots, Stab.JG53 was allowed to paint the "Pik As" back on their Bf-109's, and remove the red band from their cowlings.

The picture I uploaded has several of Stab.JG53's Bf-109's. 5 of the 109's still have the Swastika on them, but this insignia would only have been there for a few days at most after the "Pik As" was removed. A perfect example of what Stab.JG53's planes would have looked like during the Battle of Britain is the Bf-109E-4 "White 5," flown by H.G. Schulte.

http://www.photodump.com/direct/Boosher/BOBstabjg53.jpg

I don't remember who did the skins, but that is the story behind them.

PBNA-Boosher
01-31-2005, 04:41 PM
I thought you guys might like this tidbit of info about Stab.JG53's Bf-109E-3's during the Battle of Britain. I find it a very cool chapter of the Luftwaffe's history and comradery between the squadron pilots and their commanders:

The Geschwader Kommodore of Stab.JG53 during 1940 was Major Hans-Jurgen von Cramon-Taubadel. During the Battle of Britain, as it did throughout the second world war, JG53 flew Bf-109's. In this period of 1940 the Bf-109E-3 was the version that most pilots were given. There were two 7.92mm machine guns (MG17) mounted on the nose above the inverted Daimler Benz engine and two 20mm cannon (MGFF) mounted in the wings. While JG53 was making a reputation for itself during the Battle of Britain, information fell to Reichsmarshall Goering that Major Jurgen von Cramon-Taubadel's wife was Jewish. Inflamed at this fact, Goering ordered the whole of Stab.JG53 to remove the "Pik As" from their planes, and replace it with a red stripe around the engine cowling of their Bf-109's, as punishment for this "outrageous insult to the Fuhrer." All of Stab.JG53's planes immediately were stripped of their "Pik As" insignia, but soon afterward, the whole of Stab.JG53 stripped the swastikas off the tails of their planes in protest to this "mark of shame." During the entire Battle of Britain, Stab.JG53's planes were easily recognizable because of the red band around their engine cowlings, as well as the absence of a swastika on the tail of their Bf-109's. Soon after the battle, due, no doubt to the protest of the pilots, Stab.JG53 was allowed to paint the "Pik As" back on their Bf-109's, and remove the red band from their cowlings.

The picture I uploaded has several of Stab.JG53's Bf-109's. 5 of the 109's still have the Swastika on them, but this insignia would only have been there for a few days at most after the "Pik As" was removed. A perfect example of what Stab.JG53's planes would have looked like during the Battle of Britain is the Bf-109E-4 "White 5," flown by H.G. Schulte.

http://www.photodump.com/direct/Boosher/BOBstabjg53.jpg

I don't remember who did the skins, but that is the story behind them.

Xiolablu3
01-31-2005, 11:38 PM
Interesting, thanks m8 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bussard_1
02-01-2005, 05:12 AM
PBNA Boosher,
Any info on how the Major and his wife faired during the war?
Thanks for any info.
Bussard

PBNA-Boosher
02-04-2005, 07:17 PM
As far as I know, Hans Jurgen was KIA. I don't believe his wife was ever touched by the regime.

JG53Frankyboy
02-04-2005, 09:01 PM
some more ore different infos out of Priens JG53 History:

the order to use the red band instead of the proud AceOfSpade came end of July 1940. "officialy" to fake a new fighterwing to the british intelligence.

the III./JG53 began to overpaint the Swastikas after Hptm Wilcke took command of it end of august 1940. (the paintscheme above without Swastika is a III./JG53 plane , to see at the vertical bar behind the fuselage cross)

at 20 November 40 JG53 was allowed to use the AceOfSpade again. officially because of its 500. kill.
sure it had "helped" that Cramon-Traubadel was not the CO anymore. since 10.OCtober 1940 Major von Maltzahn was new JG53 CO.

woofiedog
02-05-2005, 03:01 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Excellent story PBNA-Boosher... And those skins are Mint.
Hopefully we'll be getting ILSkins back soon.
Thank's