PDA

View Full Version : gunner tips

skabbe
12-10-2004, 05:29 AM
how bad was the rear gunner in reallity? take b25 for example, any tip for me how to kill better, havent killed any plane yet, its hard for me

jugent
12-10-2004, 06:12 AM
They where very bad. They sprayed and prayed. It is hard to stay imobile and try to hit a fast moving aircraft I have tried this, against a drone. It is much harder to do this from a moving bomber at moving targets and unknown distances. UBI-softs reargunners are far from reallity.

Many bombers where hit by friendly fire but their formations where maid so that planes close to another shouldnt hit each other. So when they hit each other the bullits didnt penetrate.
I have heard that they fired ten of thousend of shoots for every fighter they downed. Read Heinz Knokes book " I flew for the fuhrer" and check his homepage. He made many attacks at large bomber formations and got hit once, his finger where shoot of, but hes a/c whas hit sometimes but seldom so hard that it was forced to emergency landings.

Friendly_flyer
12-10-2004, 06:18 AM
Fire when the enemy are fairly close, less than 150 meters. At longer distances, you are only wasting your ammo. Aim for the engine, use tracers for homing in. I have taken down a few AI Hurricanes from a He 111 that way.

Tooz_69GIAP
12-10-2004, 06:29 AM
I reckon the B-25 tail gunner position is just about the best to take out attacking fighters. But the Heinkel dorsal and ventral positions rock as well.

Last night with my squad, I was flyin a He-111, and I downed two Tomahawks who tried to attack me. The knocked out one engine, but I killed em both.

It takes practice basically. The easiest way to hit someone is if they sit on your six coz they are essentially stationary. If they are abeam (on port or starboard) then it's slightly more work, as you have calculate a little bit of lead. And if they begin to move, you have to shift your angle, and sometimes fire behind the attacking aircraft, etc, or below, or above. But the key is to make precise adjustments by zooming in all the way.

Part of the qualification requirements for our squad is to down at least 2 fighters from one gunner position in a TB-3 in a specially designed mission for the purpose. It's really great practice for learning angles, and lead shots, etc. Basically I set up the mission so that there are 8 TB-3s being attacked by Hawks and Gladiators over the Gulf of Finland. You are supposed to put the autopilot on, turn off speedbar, and switch to one of the gunner positions, and you are to stay in that one position the whole time you are airborne. And then shoot down at least two fighters before you die, or whatever. It's great fun and it gets quite tense as you watch the fighters closing in on you, but they are too far away to fire. You are just sat there waiting, watching all these fighters chasing you. Great fun!!

I might update it with the B-25 and put in some more armoured aircraft.

VF-29_Sandman
12-10-2004, 07:13 AM
hey...not a bad idea http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Vipez-
12-10-2004, 07:40 AM
i recommend practise with friend, record the track to see where ur bullets actually go.. in Heinkel, you'll be surprised how big the deflection is in the Heinkel gunners.. Smaller in B-25 however.. usually the gunners have quite a lot ammunition, so personally i would open fire even longer ranges, might actually scare the fighter away..

if you open fire too close, chances are the fighter has allready done enough damage for you not to be able fire anymore (Pilot kill, guns jammed, etc)

Zeus-cat
12-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Keep in mind that rear gunners are not really there to shoot down enemy planes. Gunners are there to keep enemy interceptors from getting into a good firing position and blasting away at the bomber.

Zeus-cat