PDA

View Full Version : I love AC, but feel a bit guilty.....

GarethNelson
09-12-2010, 02:00 PM
First, i'd like to say to the developers, artists, writers, musicians, sound artists, and everyone else directly involved in creating this wonderful series: wow, excellent work.

But I feel guilty being a fan of assassins creed.

Why?

Because although I play it on PS3 and have no trouble with the DRM on the PC release, i'm still supporting the same company. I have preordered brotherhood for the PS3, but I am seriously bothered by the thought that this DRM might be applied to the PS3 version next.

(Mods - if this next part is against the rules, I apologise, please delete and warn me):
My personal opinion on copyright law in general is that it's not morally defensible as a form of monopoly, and so I have no ethical qualms about "piracy". (I do not believe this is the right place to get into a political discussion on copyright, I am mentioning it only to give background on my views). I do however wish to remain on the side of the law and not intentionally break it. There are likely many who share my views.

I also do think that rewarding the talented people who produced this amazing game is a good thing to do - in my view it is praiseworthy to do so, but only a legal duty and not a moral one. I am legally required to respect your copyright, but ethically (and really - i'm not getting into an argument on this one here, PM me if you want to hear my full thoughts) I am not required to - I decide to anyway, and not just out of fear of the law (because let's face it - it's easy to pirate a game without being caught, trivial in fact).

So my question is this:
If I was a PC gamer instead of a PS3 gamer, what would ubisoft have me do? Break the law (by buying and then cracking the game, or by just downloading it) to enjoy your product, or just avoid it all together?

I see the uplay system is on the PS3 version, and it concerns me that it'd not take much for ubisoft management to decide to integrate the DRM too. I am not interested in multiplayer, I just enjoy the single-player story, so I do not bother with putting my PS3 online (nor can I for reasons i'm not getting into here). Should it become a requirement though, I will not actually be able to enjoy your product legally.

My budget for entertainment products is limited, but I saw fit to spend some on ubisoft's products. I am planning to spend more - am I making the wrong choice? Will I end up with a game that is unplayable unless I break the law? I would love to see more of the story and enjoy the gameplay, but my conscience bothers me in supporting a company that sees fit to screw over their paying customers.

Ubisoft - I love your games, I should only feel guilty about spending so much time in them!

GarethNelson
09-12-2010, 02:00 PM
First, i'd like to say to the developers, artists, writers, musicians, sound artists, and everyone else directly involved in creating this wonderful series: wow, excellent work.

But I feel guilty being a fan of assassins creed.

Why?

Because although I play it on PS3 and have no trouble with the DRM on the PC release, i'm still supporting the same company. I have preordered brotherhood for the PS3, but I am seriously bothered by the thought that this DRM might be applied to the PS3 version next.

(Mods - if this next part is against the rules, I apologise, please delete and warn me):
My personal opinion on copyright law in general is that it's not morally defensible as a form of monopoly, and so I have no ethical qualms about "piracy". (I do not believe this is the right place to get into a political discussion on copyright, I am mentioning it only to give background on my views). I do however wish to remain on the side of the law and not intentionally break it. There are likely many who share my views.

I also do think that rewarding the talented people who produced this amazing game is a good thing to do - in my view it is praiseworthy to do so, but only a legal duty and not a moral one. I am legally required to respect your copyright, but ethically (and really - i'm not getting into an argument on this one here, PM me if you want to hear my full thoughts) I am not required to - I decide to anyway, and not just out of fear of the law (because let's face it - it's easy to pirate a game without being caught, trivial in fact).

So my question is this:
If I was a PC gamer instead of a PS3 gamer, what would ubisoft have me do? Break the law (by buying and then cracking the game, or by just downloading it) to enjoy your product, or just avoid it all together?

I see the uplay system is on the PS3 version, and it concerns me that it'd not take much for ubisoft management to decide to integrate the DRM too. I am not interested in multiplayer, I just enjoy the single-player story, so I do not bother with putting my PS3 online (nor can I for reasons i'm not getting into here). Should it become a requirement though, I will not actually be able to enjoy your product legally.

My budget for entertainment products is limited, but I saw fit to spend some on ubisoft's products. I am planning to spend more - am I making the wrong choice? Will I end up with a game that is unplayable unless I break the law? I would love to see more of the story and enjoy the gameplay, but my conscience bothers me in supporting a company that sees fit to screw over their paying customers.

Ubisoft - I love your games, I should only feel guilty about spending so much time in them!

D00CH
09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Awesome so what are you going to do? turn yourself in?

austin128
09-12-2010, 02:06 PM
I mean, if you already bought the game, and it won't let you play it, you've already given them your money, sooooo...
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

GarethNelson
09-12-2010, 02:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D00CH:
Awesome so what are you going to do? turn yourself in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For what?
For being politically opposed to copyright law while obeying it?
For feeling guilty about supporting a company that screws over its paying customers?
For paying for a game?

What exactly should I turn myself in for?

GarethNelson
09-12-2010, 02:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by austin128:
I mean, if you already bought the game, and it won't let you play it, you've already given them your money, sooooo...
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...so, it's still illegal to use a crack. Doing so involves downloading copyrighted material without a license - your purchase does not give you a license to download the same material from a different source, and it does not permit derivative works (such as the cracked binary).

austin128
09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
0<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GarethNelson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by austin128:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...so, it's still illegal to use a crack. Doing so involves downloading copyrighted material without a license - your purchase does not give you a license to download the same material from a different source, and it does not permit derivative works (such as the cracked binary). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hahaha yep...

SBRedFlag
09-12-2010, 04:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GarethNelson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D00CH:
Awesome so what are you going to do? turn yourself in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For what?
For being politically opposed to copyright law while obeying it?
For feeling guilty about supporting a company that screws over its paying customers?
For paying for a game?

What exactly should I turn myself in for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't mind D00CH, he likes living up to his name http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Mr_Shade
09-12-2010, 05:36 PM
The Online Services Platform is intended only for PC.

There are no plans to put DRM onto any Console title, so at present, so that point you're raising is null and void.

If you don't agree with any form of DRM, and simple can't live with it - then best advice is to not buy the game, no matter the publisher, unless you want to break the law and use illegal methods to bypass it or download it.

Having played every title using it, I have to say it is painless, easy and 99.9% of the time unnoticeable in use.

Uplay is a totally different thing, it's there to reward players, for completing certain objectives within the game... Not stop them enjoying it...

If you want to discuss the DRM - Online Services Platform, I suggest you use the ongoing thread, taking the above into consideration.

BUT..

I am locking this thread, since chat or discussion about any form of cracks or any intention to use piracy is not allowed on the forums, but I can see your against it on PC, but rather than allow the trolls free roam, it's being locked.