PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of your aircraft

Jagdklinger
01-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Once again, I appeal to the forum for advice...

I was hoping people would post the combat settings for their favourite aircraft. This would include specific instructions for:
1.trim (elevator, rudder, aileron) at xy power %
2.best power % in combat
3.supercharger settings
4.prop pitch
5.fuel mix
6.gun convergeance
7.preferred view (normal/wide,gunsight,or custom?)
8.misc: (i.e. gunpods, radiator open, etc)
9a. this plane shines when... (....it is under 3000m in a tnB)
9b. My favourite/most effective move is...(e.g. P38 flick loop)
10. things to avoid with this plane
11. anything i've missed above http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I constantly come across random posts with gems of advice such as "set your Yak supercharger to cut in at 1800m" and "P51s can run on 105% power for 20mins" and "leave your cowl open on 110% power in a such-and-such" "trim your 190 rudder 7 clicks to the right and elevator up 20 for max speed" or whatever. Thus I'd like to collect the forums collective wisdom on their favourite plane onto one thread so I can print out the advice as a reference for myself (and I'm sure others... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm mostly talking about how you set up your plane immediately BEFORE combat, not what you do DURING combat (as that will of course depend on the situation.- ie. when you see bandits, how do you adjust your plane? I.e.
Do you set your Bf110 trim for level flight (21 clicks) at 95% power, and set rudder trim 3 clicks to left, fuel mix 90% and prop pitch on 100%? Do you prefer your P63s' 37mm convergance at 150m or 300m? Do you run your I-16 with cowl open on 110% power?

Basically, how do you get the maximum performance from your plane? Can your La7 outpace Ta152s at 7000m, and if so, how do you do it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I know there are some dedicated pilots who ONLY ever fly their beloved <insert plane name here> - so how do you experts get the most out of it?

Thanks, o wise ones http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

BTW - I'm interested solely in settings IN GAME, not what historically was the best speed of a P38(or whatever http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, and what Oleg should do about it... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

WTE_Galway
01-20-2005, 09:21 PM
step number one

never take 100% fuel

ever

CV8_Dudeness
01-20-2005, 09:30 PM
not a cool thread

info like this does you no good being handed to you

info like what your asking for comes from paying attention

for you personally to come to know the game , your going to have to pay close attention to what happens as your gaming , like every other knowledgeable-about-FB forum member does

your cheating yourself if you dont

civildog
01-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Here are a couple of places chock full of all kinds of the stuff you are looking for, charts, tips, tactics, tech info on the planes and tweaking your 'puter:

http://magnum-pc.netfirms.com/mudmovers/tutorials/how_to_fly.htm

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/

1) Only take the fuel you will need for the mission. When flying in the AirQuake dogfight rooms only take 25-50% and never drop tanks...you'll be out of bullets long before you'll be out of fuel unles you get holes in the tanks, and then having enough to get to your lines and bail is all you need.

2)I recommend the following for gun convergence:

200m or less against fighters, 500m if going against bombers

Planes with all the guns in the nose have a more narrow convergence than those in the wings (especially that monster P-47!) so a 200m convergence with them is more like convergence from 0-400m.

3) The best power setting varies between planes but try to fly within 90% of your ability so you have extra to get yourself out of a jam or avoid one to begin with. The best cornering velocity on a Zero for instance is a lot slower than the plane will go..any faster and it rolls like a pig. Some other planes are the opposite. Practice and take notes.

4) Don't get fancy! The basics are the best and easiest to remember in a knifefight. Trying to remember how to do a chandelle in a dogfight will just get you shot up until you master the basics.

5)The above links have all the tech charts for supercharge settings, prop pitch, cruise - to - take off-to emergency speed, et.. If they don't Private Topic me and I'll send you my set of charts.

6) PICK ONE OR TWO PLANES you really want to use in the game and just concentrate on mastering them. Once you feel confident with them, stay with them some more. Then try ONE OR TWO other planes. Be patient...there are planes in this game I still haven't flown more than once and I've been playing it since the initial IL2 demo came out.

Hint: German planes are easier to learn because they have less workload for the pilot...they have automatic prop pitch, mixture, and supercharger settings so all you have to do is concentrate on flying and shooting. Later yu can override these auto settings, but as in real life, that's for the experts.

US planes tend to be good for high speed slashing attacks and not so good at turn/burn knifefighting. The Mustang is harder to use than you might think, but the Spitfire is a dream.

Soviet planes are basic no-frills jobs that will get the job done, but like the US planes most don't have a lot of automatic controls. They also tend to be woefully underarmed when compared to the German planes. The P-39 N-1 and Q-10 are my favorites but they are very tempermental. Set the cannon on those to 100meters and use it for single shots.

7) Becuase none of these planes have ammo counters with numbers on them (the Geman planes have white sliders that drop down to show ammo usage but those are pretty worthless IMHO) I take my plane and use a stopwatch to time the guns, holding the trigger down until they run dry and note it in my little black book. The Cobras with the big nose cannon fire so slowly they are the exception, since you can pop off single or double-taps. The P-39 has 27rds for the cannon...the P-63 has around twice that.

This way you know, as the real pilots did, how many seconds of fire you have, so you can know if you can afford say..10 2-second bursts or 20 1-second bursts. See why I set convergence so close? I want every round to land on the target.

8)Try never to overheat the engine: once that happens it can overheat more easily and sooner. Cruise to the fight with the radiator wide open, then shut it to 2 or 3 for the fight and keep a throttle setting of 90% unless you need the extra to escape or out of trouble. Always keep a reserve. This will also help keep your engine cool so it's there when you'll need it most.

9) You take hits in the engine and it starts acting up get out of there and run for home.

10) Finally I offer htis timeless advice from WW1 that has stood the test of time even through the jet age:

Boelcke's Dicta

Try to secure advantages before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you.
Always follow through an attack when you have started it.
Fire only at close range, and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.
Always keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses.
In any form of attack it is essential to assail your opponent from behind.
If your opponent dives on you, do not try to evade his onslaught, but fly to meet it.
When over enemy lines, never forget your line of retreat.
Attack in groups of four or six. When the fight breaks up into a series of single combats, take care that several do not go for one opponent.

Other than that Richtofen said: "Find the enemy, get cloe to him, shoot him down. Everything else is rubbish."

Enjoy, and happy hunting.

civildog
01-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Jeez people, are we actively trying to dicourage people from joining and enjoying this game, or what?

When new guys ask for our help we shouldn't be saying, "not a cool thread."

CV8_Dudeness
01-20-2005, 10:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CivilDog:
When new guys ask for our help we shouldn't be saying, "not a cool thread." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
do you not understand what makes a human lazy & ungratefull ?

your not helping really

hes asking for DF advantage info , not "help"

my whole point was for him to get in the game & fly with attention

Jagdklinger
01-20-2005, 10:23 PM
@ CV8. Hmmm. I guess it did look like a 'how do I turn my I-16 into an uber-UFO' question, but that was not my intention.

(I currently only play offline anyway, designing custom missions for myself, so I'm not interested in 'beating' anyone: I fly such a wide range of planes I don't get a chance to know every aircrafts' settings backwards...)

I was hoping to give those who really know their plane well a chance to share with us less experienced people as the best way to tweak their 'baby', so us lesser mortals can finally get a P51D to 703kph http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif or get that Yak3 to keep up with later 109s...

Cheers!

PS: Good point about the fuel, WTE, but I didn't include that as I assumed that would depend more on the mission setup and not your preparation for a dogfight per se.

PPS: $5 says we get some 190 or 109 advice. I've noticed the 'Luftwhiners' seem to be among the most helpful on the forum, despite suffering with those puny 20mms. Must be all those nitrous fumes from the boost http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

EDIT: Thanks for the advice and the websites, CivilD - I'm checking them out now. (My tactics are currently only that pinched from my childhood 'Biggles' books http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

civildog
01-20-2005, 10:24 PM
CV8_Dudeness -
Waaahhh, waaahhh, waaaahh...whats the matter? Afraid of competition? Sheesh, it took me all of 5 minutes to pass on some info to the guy so what do you care anyway? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Jagdklinger -

All the charts and graphs you'll need for a good start are on the pages i pointed you to. As for the "right" settings...that's why I recommend picking one or two planes and mastering them for a start.

Eric Hartmann said he always flew the 109 because, even though the 190 was easier to fly and more heavily armed, and the 262 was faster and more heavily armed, the 109 rewarded a master pilot better. He said it would feel like he was the plane itself. Something to keep in mind.

CV8_Dudeness
01-20-2005, 10:31 PM
whose crying ?

that is an attempt to make out i am

my reply to you wasnt about your advice you gave him

civildog
01-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Well you make it sound like I'm giving money to some bum off the street who'll just go buy beer and drugs with it.

Any real pilot in real life would have been asking the same questions of the veterans in the squadron. I don't like to think any of those "aces" would have just told the guy to stop being lazy and figure it out on his own.

Who would they have to brag to then? The new guys would all be dead.

Anyway, that's how I see subjects like this. Even if we do have guns to eachother's heads most of the time we are all just one big happy squadron.

FatBoyHK
01-20-2005, 11:45 PM
P-51D info:

Rudder trim: 11 clicks to the right
Aileron trim: 1 clicks to the left
Elevator trim: depends on the speed (put it on a slider!)

Rad fully open, unless you are BnZing or on a run.

Engine can withstand 5 minute max of overheat, but it is not recommended. Best practice is to overheat for 3 minutes, and then reduce throttle to 97%, this is enough to cool down the engine, even with the rad closed. Never cool down by opening rad, especially when extending / escaping.

Never pull max G when your speed exceed 350 MPH IAS. Take extra care if you want to initiate any vertical move at 300 MPH IAS or above, (especially spit-s!)

civildog
01-20-2005, 11:57 PM
P-39 Q-10

Fights low altitude as a turn fighter. Lousy at High altitude. Careful of spins when entering a turning stall: will depart with little or no warning. Use the combat flaps to counter this.

Take off and climb to cruise altitude.
Open radiator to full until in the fight then close to 2. Prop pitch at the redline.

Guns at 200meters and cannon at 100-150 because it has a huge loft out of the muzzle. Can't miss at those convergence ranges, though.

Tough little plane but it needs a gentle touch. Watch your energy and you can turn and burn fine. With practice you can "gray out" in turns and stay moving by riding the edge of the stall forcing an overshoot of the guy on your tail. You can also use the stalls to help you out of a jam once you learn how.

BaldieJr
01-21-2005, 12:11 AM
I know this just flies in the face of gamer logic, but here is what I generally do.

I don't use flaps for take-off unless the plane acts like its too heavy.
As soon as I'm up, so are my wheels.
As soon as my bird will hold level with no stick pressure, I back the throttle down to about 95%.
I trim out on climb in this order: pitch, rudder, aileron. I never change rudder or aileron again. I change pitch trim all the time.
Once I reach my desire alt, I trim for level flight and start working the throttle down to 85% and prop-pitch to give me about 2700 rpm.
Then I leave it the hell alone untill I get into trouble.

I am not good at this game, but I'm finding this to be a good strategy as it removes variables from the equation.

Jagdklinger
01-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks.
@Civildog. You've got it in one. Basically, I was hoping to get a thread where the 'aces' share their experience with the 'rookies'. I'm also inspired to dust off the P39 (I had earlier dismissed it as a 'design accident' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

@FatboyHK. Wow, very comprehensive. I always feel like I am not getting the most out of my P51, and your advice helped a lot.

JG53Frankyboy
01-21-2005, 07:17 PM
try to get the program IL2compare2.5.

that can give you an overview of speed advanteges. also the speed curves show youi when to shift the chargers.

and if you have FB, there was a , for that game, detailed PF manual on one of the CDs.

FlatSpinMan
01-22-2005, 04:23 AM
Personally I think this is an EXCELLENT thread as not everyone has hours to spend fiddling with settings on different planes and the manual doesn't say much on the issue.

cv8 - if you don't want to help then please just ignore the topic. Not everyone flies online and as you are obviously so superior you have nothing to fear, anyway.

CivilDog - another helpful, considered post. Thanks a lot for the info.
FatBoyHK - thanks for your advice too.

I have a question - "3clicks", "11 clicks" - what do you mean? Does pushing a key on the keyboard equal one click?

scottmal1
01-22-2005, 05:43 AM
Good thread, this is why i use this forum, it's education, i'm just an average pilot, i dont fly online and i need all the help and info from the more experienced pilots. Oh it's my 100th post!

VF-29_Sandman
01-22-2005, 05:51 AM
from what i have seen with the p-38's: 1: the hardest of all planes to deflection shoot in, but it will do extreme damage in very short order if they do connect.
2: they wind up gaining extreme speed in dives if u throttle back at first, then up it to about 54" manifold. 1 warning tho; if u allow it to enter tail compression too much, this plane will run away from u.
3: a pair of properly flown lightnings will become pure hell on any server. keyword: pair. a companent wingman is a must-have.
4: a ground pounder's dream. the load-out is enough to shut down an airfield's aaa protection in a hurry...and completely devastate a crowded airstrip.

worst alt: under 2000 meters. NEVER try to use a 38 as a turn fighter. u will lose badly.
performs best at vertical manuvers and shallow slash attacks. speed is ur friend in this ship. use it wisely.

LStarosta
01-22-2005, 06:31 AM
CivilDog, I must say that I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement that German planes are easier to fly because they are automatic. If you want to fly a German plane to its full potential (and you have to, in order to win), you will fly it manually, because otherwise it flies like it were weighed down with elephant feces. If you want to fly an American/British plane to it's full potential, they are already automated enough in the fact that any changes you introduce will be very unremarkable in how they affect the performance of the aircraft, compared to the manual changes introduced in a Fw190 or a Bf109.

In other words, to fully milk a Fw190 during a typical BnZ run, you are working with your prop pitch, your radiator, your trim (if you have it on a slider), your throttle etc. In a Mustang however, you can get away with just running at people with full throttle, and PERHAPS maybe adjusting your radiator (you can still get away with having it open all the time). I'm not dissing the Mustang, as it is one of my favorite allied birds. I'm simply saying that if anything is automated, it's the Mustang, like many American and British airplanes.

My number one rule: DON'T EVER ZOOM CLIMB AS A MEANS OF TRYING TO LOSE AN ENEMY ON YOUR SIX!!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! Instead, use lots of rudder to throw off his aim. I know it's cliche, but it's sound advice. Try barrel rolls with varying amounts of rudder input in both directions, try skidding by applying rudder input opposite to the aileron input so as to keep your plane's wings as near level as you can. Just get creative, but try not to bleed off too much energy with those skids or you'll be a sitting duck pretty soon! This is exactly where wingmen come in handy for some nice drag and bag fun!

This is exactly why I love the Fw190. It is possibly the best defensive fighter I can think of. That incredible roll rate and superb high speed handling can give you a hell of a fighting chance provided you're at altitude. Even if you get caught with your pants down on the deck, I've been known to drag and evade upwards of 4 Spitfires at a time without them scoring any substantial hits.

Saburo_0
01-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Ifound this thread made me want to go fly the 109K

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=6911037662

Saburo_0
01-22-2005, 04:55 PM
OK I'll make an attempt but I'm no Ace.

Ki-43 Oscar

1.Trim: I have my elevator trim on a dial on my X-45 throttle. Personally I could never use trim effectively with the keyboard. With the dial it's much easier to feel the effects IMHO. If you don't have dials or sliders I think the scroll wheel on the mouse is a good idea. I like to get to full power let my speed stabilize & give it just a little bit of nose-up trim. I don't use rudder or aileron trim much in any aircraft, but I have rudder pedals. If you don't notice that the Oscar will need a little right rudder to keep the ball centered. It's a light airframe.

2.best power % in combat: On most planes I set to 99% throttle, just like to show my plane that I care about it's engine & won't abuse it! I play with power settings in the Ki-43 more than I do in most planes. You need to go to 110% to close on P-40s & P-39s etc. Don't be afraid to reduce power to keep within your best maneuvering speed, or to turn on a dime.

3.supercharger settings: just get in her and go!

4.prop pitch: I have my prop pitch on a dial/rotary but with the Oscar you can leave it at 100% for the most part. No problem with over-revving & reducing pitch to increase speed in a dive is not something I really want to do since high speeds make Oscar grouchy.

5.fuel mix: I don't usually find myself fighting at altitudes that require reducing the mixture. I'll try to go back & see where it needs switched though. OK reduce mix at 6,200 meters or 20,500 ft. (Where airacobra€s fear to tread. )

6.gun convergence: Simply a personal choice & not much of an issue with 2 nose mounted mgs. I use 190-200m. You can bring down B-24s if you dive on them from near directly above and fire into the wing near where it meats the fuselage. Use the telescope & don€t get too close, you don€t want to get hit.

7.preferred view (normal/wide,gunsight,or custom?): The gunsight view is a bit hard to get use to for some people. it restricts your field of view so can be tricky against wildly maneuvering targets. IMO the biggest draw back is that the over the shoulder view is not available when using gunsight view. This means your rearward vision is blocked a bit by your headrest. Still a good view though. Wide is great for dogfighting. It is important to be able to switch quickly to/from wide/gunsightview. Use the telescopic sight to place your rounds in the enemy€s engine. Or cockpit if he gives you that shot. Oh yeah & slide the canopy back if you want! There is no noticeable speed loss & you don€t want to fight at high speeds very much anyway. Besides you look cool with your scarf flying in the wind & it impresses the Geisha Girls when you flyby & wave!

8.misc: (i.e. gunpods, radiator open, etc): Guns: They are light. You can go for the 2 x .50s but the mixed armament is nice too as the light mgs have a higher rate of fire & more ammo. Also historically it appears this may have been the most common armament. Apparently the heavy mgs weren€t considered as reliable at first.
Radiators: I€m not afraid to open them wide & often do when not directly engaged. Opening them one notch will let you run at 100% power for quite a while. Engine cools quickly if you back power down. A few seconds at below 100% & you€ll get the engine normal message. With radiator on position two it€ll overheat in 1:30 but with radiator wide open you can go for 15mins & 30 sec.€s or so!
Combat flaps: Great! But I like to pull them in when shooting as at some speeds they cause a bit of a shake.

9a. this plane shines when€¦ it climbs, & when it turns. Climb rate is excellent compared to American early war aircraft. As is its altitude performance. It out turns even the Zero, but like the Zero it€ s best kept at lower speeds.

9b. My favourite/most effective move is€¦: Probably a break turn followed by a tight Split-S to go from being shot at to becoming the shooter. You can really pull the stick back in your belly with this plane. Pilots not use to fighting Oscars will be shocked at how quickly you can get on their tail after a near head on.

10. things to avoid with this plane: Getting hit! And high speeds. One great thing about the Oscar is you have to learn to fly defensively as well as offensively. By that I mean being aware of the situation around you. Use you€re two wingmen when off-line. Check you€re six often, slip the tail out of the way you can regain any lost speed easily. I€ll try to test for some speed figures later.

11. anything I€ve missed above: I€ll try to come up with something later. Now it€s time to brave the snow to hunt me down some beer & sushi!

Cheers,
Saburo_0

Jagdklinger
01-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Thanks, Saburo, a very comprehensive rundown on your plane. I'm very tempted to break my 'learn to fly the Japanese rubbish planes last' vow after reading it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PS: Ironically, the 109K thread was one I also started http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ! I've decided this is too big a project to work out so I am going to have to painstakingly do threads on one solitary aircraft after another, thus luring out the specialists... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Saburo_0
01-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I was thining the same thing myself.

I've gathered bits & pieces from the forum on various planes & saved some of it, but things tend to get lost & FMs have changed a bit since FB came out. I always find the tips on such & such a plane the most interesting on these forums. I'll bekeeping an ey out for your threads!

Cheer,
Saburo

civildog
01-23-2005, 08:40 PM
LaSatrosta:

Read my section on the German planes more closely and you'll note I said that the German planes are easier to learn to fly because of the automatic controls BUT....later you can use those control manually to get the most out of them, but that that was for the experts. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Also note what I said here in another addendum:
"Eric Hartmann said he always flew the 109 because, even though the 190 was easier to fly and more heavily armed, and the 262 was faster and more heavily armed, the 109 rewarded a master pilot better. He said it would feel like he was the plane itself. Something to keep in mind."

Not slapping you, but if you bring up anything about your hind-end in this thread I'll be tempted. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Tiger27
01-23-2005, 08:56 PM
If you intend to fly coops as well I would advise that you take 100% fuel so that you learn to fly the plane as you would in coops, I have no problem dogfighting with 100% although I fly mainly LW so BnZ is more my style you just have to allow for the fact that you are intiallly carrying a bit more weight, if your in a server with the difficulty settings turned up then it can take some time to hunt down the enemy so your often fighting with a lightened load anyway.
In a Zero 1 bullet will cause a fuel leak, if you didnt take 100% dont even bother trying too make it any distance home.

Bull_dog_
01-23-2005, 09:18 PM
one of my favorites...Fw190A-5... online tips

Fly fast...never fly slow...by that I mean keep your speed above 400km/hr

Against soviet aircraft...get and stay above 4000 meters against most soviet aircraft. Even the vaunted La-5FN can be tamed above 4000 meters. You are faster than most aircraft at sea level except La's of similar vintage.

It can't turn good so don't try...it can make momentary turns at high speeds to good effect.

Convergence at 200 or 250 meters works good for me.

Don't be afraid to dive to the deck and run wide open (except from La's) with overheated engine.

Learn the scissors...it has saved my life many times

Take advantage of the rate of roll at the merge...approach enemy off angle and at the last second snap roll out of the way to avoid head ons...if you like head ons it is a good plane for it.

Did I say fly it fast? Be careful online as the "Oleg Bug" is worse online...that is wings breaking off unexpectedly...can happen anytime you approach or exceed 650km/hr which is often if you're flying a fw right.

Engine is pretty much automatic and I just leave it there...I have found that my best success really begins with tactics and strategy and then moves to manuevering...I don't start with manuevering cause I want to start with an advantage when possible..... that is between 4-6500 meters in altitude, fast, rad open cruising about 85%. Tactics and strategy is about gaining an altitude advantage or at least being in your sweet spot with altitude...with altitude you have lots of options...on the deck you have none.

The 20mm's are plenty effective no matter what people say, but they aren't devastating...so you have to stay on target for about a second or you'll be doing another pass...never make more than two passes and head back towards base while you grab altitude.

The NUMBER 1 thing that will make your time spent climbing and patrolling in a FW pay off is gunnery. If you can't shoot, learn. A Fw can be frustrating if you can't shoot but if you can, you'll find yourself racking up mega points once you get into the right position...not uncommon for 3-5 kills/sortie...mk 108 versions are even more devastating.

One gunnery tip...learn to aim with your rudder. The roll rate is so snappy on these aircraft that if you attempt a tracking shot, you will tend to over compensate and miss. Rudder is important...if not that, play with your inputs till you get it right.

Stay fast...kill fast...have fun. I fly on UK Dedicated and there are a bunch of Fw jocks that rule the roost there. Want to learn...fly with one of them...if you like Cockpit on, go to war clouds and hook up with one of the fw jocks there. Tag along as a wingman.... The Fw A-4 had a 15:1 kill ratio over the Spitfire MkV until recently and it has dropped to 8:1 on UK Dedicated (still early so few kills affect stats alot)....pretty good stats for a plane that people complain as being hard to fly or no match for the spitfire.

mynameisroland
01-24-2005, 09:38 AM
hey BullDog whats your UK dedicated name?

Mines is Boemher - maybe ive bumped in to you a few times.

Ive never noticed that on the ststs page before. Its amazing - it shows that the general level of piloting in the Fw190 is higher because in no way is the A4 vastly superior to rack up a 12:1 kill ratio. I think that this reflects the piloting skill required to fly a tougher handling aircraft pays off - once mastered to a decent degree you can dictate the terms of engagement and - if your smart down an enemy or disengage if you lose your initiative.

In the D9 44 and D9 45 ive out fought La7's one on one down low. Either turning the fight in to a vertical E fight or running towards the Blue base and radioing teamates with a lot of rudder applied then reversing once La7 comes in to range on your 6 by feigning one way then a sharp turn to the opposite.

Notably on several occasions the LA7 have had an alt advantage of 500m or so and been in my rear hemisphere as the engagement has begun. If you know what your doing you can run the La7 in to the ground long enough to fry their engine then go for high speed scissors once established in to a pattern where the La7 is slowly getting on your 6 then take advantage of the D9's higher energy bleed rate pull flaps and drop throttle to 0% and watch the La 7 overshoot. Raise flaps to combat and full throttle and you should get off a shot or two at your pursuer (this is where gunnery accuracy and a big ammo load out comes in handy) tracers past his cockpit will make him think twice about turning back in immediately - also try to fire in the oppostite direction to where you want him to go to influence his manuvering then re adjust your aim and take advantage. Using these methods ive fought off and downed La7's that must've thought they were in for an easy kill.

Ofcourse plenty of other times ive stalled and crashed but when it clicks and you have a few hours under your belt I feel that the Fw190 as a mount is pretty unbeatable.

Bull_dog_
01-24-2005, 06:50 PM
My online name is Grey_Mouser...I fly quite a bit these days and there is a really good group of fellows over there. Getting on Teamspeak and flying with the same folks has really enhanced my enjoyment. Some of the better pilots fly Fw and there seems to be a core group of people that fly as a team and do very well. The A-4/A-5 is one of my favorite mounts...I'm sure we've run into one another, but I haven't seen you lately...sure I will soon and I'll look for you

Cya around http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TX-Zen
01-24-2005, 09:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CivilDog:
LaSatrosta:

Read my section on the German planes more closely and you'll note I said that the German planes are easier to learn to fly because of the automatic controls BUT....later you can use those control manually to get the most out of them, but that that was for the experts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 190 definately doesn't fall into this category primarily because of energy. Certainly it's a degree easier to fly around in because of the automatic controls, but to get any kind of significant performance out of it when engaged, one must really understand energy and how the 190 reacts to stick forces. The advantages gained in automatic controls are heavily outweighed by other factors like stall habits, energy bleed, gunsight view and the anemic 151/20's for example. It is difficult to achieve energy advantage against planes at similar E state, it is very easy to blow a sizable advantage through carelessness and those are mistakes that take a long time to get a handle on and understand well.

These are things that most new players have a hard time mastering and for that reason I personally feel the 190 is a very hard plane to fly well, but one that shows affection and flies right for a pilot who has taken the time to learn it. Factor in the foward view and the poor deflection shooting ability and you have a plane which has much of its performance neutralized or hindered unless care is taken to plan ahead before attack and one must constantly revise plans during engagements. Certainly a pair of mk108's is a nice thing to have, but poor turn performance, limited shooting angles and heavy E bleed during manuevering means that a pilot has to be much more calculating than TnB types by a large margin... and the Dora has none of the firepower advantages of the Anton.

No disrespect intended, but the 190 is one of the harder planes to fly automatic controls or not, at least after you take into consideration the bigger picture.

TX-Zen
01-24-2005, 10:13 PM
My online tips for the Dora:

Leave pitch on automatic, kommandogerat has been tweaked so that optimal performance is best when left alone.

Combat flaps are highly effective, but only for short periods. Use them to increase stability during tight turns but don't turn too long, always waive off and go vertical if you aren't going to be in the saddle after 90-120 degrees of turn.

The Dora likes to stall as speed bleeds below 320km/h during turns...a slight easing of the stick pressure is often necessary to minimize or eliminate the stall.

She handles poorly at speeds less than 280km/h when heavy stick is applied...this is why people always advise to stay fast. Heavy stick inputs will usually cause a snap stall and rollover, ease into manuevers and apply more pressure as needed. The Dora doesn't like rapid elevator inputs, use smooth controlled handling instead.

Best climb speed is around 24-26m/s at 280km/h, but due to the nature of Vy in the game currently, climb rates close to that can be maintained at speeds well below 280km/h. IAS might be as low as 240 during an energy efficient sustained climb, watch the VSI gauge and if speed drops but climb stays the same, you are in a mini zoom climb. If speed stays the same but the VSI decreases, you are not holding the nose high enough...attempt to keep them both steady for best results.

50% fuel is useful for about 20-25 minutes of flight time, 75% is better these days for longer flights because of a generally higher fuel consumption for all planes in game, particularly the D9-44.

D9-44 uses Erhohte Notleistung which is additional fuel pumped into the engine for increased power, it is safe to turn this on or off regardless of throttle setting. Erhohte lasts as long as there is fuel in the plane, there is no seperate reservior for it.

D9-45 uses MW50 which is methanol water injection (50/50)...it is best to turn this on when the engine starts and leave it alone. It will automatically boost power when the throttle is at 100% or greater, it will automatically turn off when the throttle is lowered below 100%. Activating it while the throttle is over 100% will damage the engine rapidly. MW50 lasts for 25-30 minutes but avoid keeping it on all the time, there is no warning when its empty and if dry the engine will burn up quickly.

It's generally better to extend level than to outclimb opponents because of a higher acceleration, but over 500km/h it is relatively slow, so don't count on a scorching exit if the enemy is close to you at high speeds. Take care not to assume the Dora can out accelerate anything you meet, like any other aircraft your native advantage can be removed if the other plane is in a shallow dive or at a higher E state.

Don't assume the Dora can outrun everything in game...it can't. It's primary speed advantage is at SL only, above 3k many planes are equal and above 6k many planes are faster. Down low La7's will outrun Dora's, mustangs are close enough to be dangerous.

Avoid 3k, this is a supercharger dead zone for the Dora. Fly at 2500m or 3500m instead. Handling above 7k is not so great, while better than the Anton the altitude game is usually not the Dora's strong point. I generally stay between 4-6k for optimal performance.

Take care to manage your engine...don't run at full power unless you have to. Overheat on open rads is about 4 1/2 minutes, time to engine failure is around 12 minutes. Sounds like a lot, but during extended engagements the clock is ticking. When not directly engaged or in danger, fly at lower throttle...not only will it conserve fuel but it will save the overheat time for when you need it.

I fly with fully open rads at all times unless maximum possible speed is needed, for example running for my life or during a hot chase, only then will I close them. Overheat time is around 3 minutes when rads are closed, engine failure is around 9 minutes total.

Don't turn if you can go vertical instead, but always watch your E state...during low E states the 190 is very sluggish, especially over the top during a vertical reversal. Don't dive if you don't have to, the ground comes up fast and once down low your energy reserve is gone.

The Dora can be dived safetly to 860km/h IAS, but extreme care is needed on the pullup. Combat flaps alone with no stick pressure can cause the D9 to rise out of a dive without losing the wings, but even at speeds as low as 700km/h the wings can come off if heavy elevator is applied. I don't generally try to pullout at over 820km/h, instead I try to adjust my attack so that I will be slightly less than that when I shoot. Avoid doing a hard pullup because this burns too much E, gently rise the plane out of the attack and do a shallow climbing extension rather than a pure vertical transition...this maximizes total energy state after the attack. Against slow planes like IL2's, a vertical extension is preferable because those aircraft are sluggish when nose high, this can help keep guns off you as you overshoot.

Never concentrate on one enemy, use slashing attacks and avoid becoming decisively engaged. The general style of the D9 is to make repeated attacks and whittle the enemy down, its rare to saddle up and blast the target to pieces.

My convergence is set to 1000 for all guns but I only fire at 200 or less, typically from point blank. At this distance the guns tend to fire straight out, this compensates for less than dead center accuracy and avoids convergence dead zones where the rounds crisscross to sharply. 1000 works well for strafing soft targets on the ground and also for the head on attack if you feel comfortable with it.

The Dora has about 65 seconds of firing time for the cowl mounted MGs...use it. Hose the enemy down every chance you get, but take care with the 151/20s. Those are best used only at close range and if you do have a shot, pour it on. Random hits with the 151's don't do much, but a good 5-10 rounds at close range will seriously injure or cripple the target, so if you get a steady shot then light him up.

I use zoomed view for shooting and wide view for all other situations. Generally I fly at angles to the target or engagement area so I can take advantage of the excellent side and rear view. My two favorite moves are the negative knife and the high speed rolling scissors. I use elevator trim constantly to ease stick pressure and for better gunnery.

My joystick settings: (Courtesy of Crazy Ivan)

[rts_joystick]

X=13 21 28 39 53 65 77 88 96 100
Y=22 28 37 45 54 65 77 88 97 100
Z=35 41 48 56 67 76 82 89 95 100
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0

Jagdklinger
01-25-2005, 05:46 AM
Thanks Zen for an excellent post. The 190 community seems to be the most enthusiastic and helpful out there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

May I draw everyone's attention to the Focke-Wulf tactics thread - it really deserves a sticky.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I sometimes wonder if the 190 drivers (who seem to be some of the best around) put the same amount of effort into a easier (read: better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) aircraft, how would they fare. I hear fish is dabbling successfully with mustangs lately... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

...and with that I will escape before the indignation of the BMW-merchants descends upon me....

TX-Zen
01-25-2005, 12:13 PM
When the mood strikes me and I fly Yak's or La's, I tend to do 3-5 times better than I do in the Dora. It's just easier, the game mechanics favor TnB types I guess, cannons are more effective, climb rates are the same or better mostly and compared to a Dora, the turn rate is out of this world. For me, flying low wingloaded aircraft is a vacation from the stress and sweat of constant tactics, and is when I can fly with abandon, having virtually no regard for tactics or anything else. Not arcade mind you, but definately point and shoot.

Jagdklinger
01-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Interesting. Have you ever flown a 109G/K - if so, how did you go?
They say 'speed is life' but height can be converted into speed.... 109K can climb to 4000m and have a full minute free to buff his nails (or execute a BnZ) waiting for the 190D to arrive....
...and I'm not a patient type. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
Otherwise, I'd defect to the 190 crowd, if for no reason other than the excellent support and advice available...

MystiqBlackCat
01-25-2005, 08:38 PM
My Thoughts on the P-38J/L:

1.Trim: 1 click left rudder, 1 click left aileron, 15 clicks down elevator.

2.Fuel: 25% is best, no more than 50% fuel. 50% is a good comfort zone considering you are a big target and will probably take hits that will spawn fuel leaks. The fuel gauges are on the upper left hand side of the cockpit, glance at them often after you get a fuel leak to see if you should bug out for home.

3.Power settings: I normally cruise at 80% prop pitch and 80% throttle. As a general rule in combat I keep the Pitch at 100 and the throttle firewalled because the radiators on the P-38 are excellent at cooling the engines. In case your engine(s) overheat drop pitch and throttle to 95%. Also be sure and reduce throttle and pitch in dives or compressability will become a problem.

3.Gun Convergence: My convergence normally stays at 200 on all guns because I fly many different types of aircraft though I have no trouble aiming with the Lightning's superb armament. The aircraft's pitch can be "twitchy" so be gentle when tracking a shot on a bogey.

4.Preferred View: Wide 90% of the time. Normal and Gunsight as needed. Be warned, getting fixated on a target in Gunsight view makes you very liable to be jumped from behind.

5.Misc: For ground pounding the P-38 is excellent any armament load out is effective but if you intend to mix it up with fighters leave the rockets at home as the launchers will degrade your speed and maneuverability. Try to approach the target between 2km-3km in height. I also like to fly through clouds as much as possible to help mask my approach.

6.Shines...when beating up ground targets. It is also a capable dogfighter in the right hands. The Lightning is better down low (under 3000m) where it can use its excellent climb and high speed at sea level. Stay above 300mph for aircraft that can out turn you; Zeke, Oscar, Tony, Spits, Hurri's, etc. The P-38 is surprisingly good in a tight turn, at high speeds it can do a 90 degree turn on a dime and a 180 pretty quick. At low speeds it can out turn 109's and 190's in the horizontal plane with combat flaps, which is often just enough to get a good shot. The Lightning is much more stable than the 190 so you can turn with and often away as they will often stall if not flown very carefully in a tight turn. Good E fighter.

7.Favorite Moves: Do a hammerhead and at the top of the maneuver when your speed drops to less than 90mph kill the inside engine as you kick the rudder hard into it and you can execute a great manuever. Decreasing the throttle on an engine to less than 40% just before a roll increases your rolll rate by just a smidge, kill the left engine when rolling left, right engine when rolling right.

8.Things to avoid: High speed dives are a killer because of the compressability. Watch your speed carefully, if it gets to 400 start pulling out on the P-38J with combat flaps, you can wait a little longer with the P-38L and use the dive flaps but dont push your luck, especially at low altitudes.

9.Last Thing: The L version is slightly better at ground pounding because of the HVAR trees. It is also better at high speeds because it has boosted ailerons which also allow it the fastest roll rate of any plane at 350+ mph. It also has dive breaks to save you from compressability. The J version is in my opinion the better dogfighter, it is a little bit faster and is more maneuverable at low to medium speeds.

10. I can document my sources for my info before I get flamed! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jagdklinger
01-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Hey, I'm inspired to dust off my P38 after reading that great post! Nice info.

MystiqBlackCat
01-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Come on fellas, don't let this thread die off so fast. Personally, I'd like to see some info on Navy planes if anyone is fairly proficient yet.

SeminoleX
01-27-2005, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jagdklinger:
I was hoping people would post the combat settings for their favourite aircraft. This would include specific instructions for:
1.trim (elevator, rudder, aileron) at xy power %
2.best power % in combat
3.supercharger settings
4.prop pitch
5.fuel mix
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea!

It would be a tremendous advantage to have all this information in one place for easy access.

There are so many aircraft to fly learning them all is an almost impossible task.

It would be best if the developers related all these "best" settings in the form of a chart. As you can see the posters giving their ideas have so many that locating the one you need becomes a hassle after a number are posted....then too...like every statement ever made on any forum...as soon as an idea is posted it is usually challenged leaving you with the question..whom do you you believe?

Bull_dog_
01-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Learning the aircraft is what makes it fun...posting is a way to help shorten the learning curve...

If you had all the answers, you'd probably get bored.

FlatSpinMan
01-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Great thread! This is exactly what is needed for newer pilots/ those wanting to dabble in different planes.
Please find below my vast array of useful knowledge http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"

"
and
"

"

OldPepper
01-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Sorry, I moved this to Practice tips for Newcomers.

Tallyho1961
01-28-2005, 11:11 AM
BaldieJR - that's an eerily accurate description of how I've have learned to fly - except for the takeoff flaps - which I use on all a/c other then the Spits and Hurricanes.

I'm curious: why do you say this flies in the face of gamer logic?

TX-Zen
01-28-2005, 11:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MystiqBlackCat:
My Thoughts on the P-38J/L:

1.Trim: 1 click left rudder, 1 click left aileron, 15 clicks down elevator.

2.Fuel: 25% is best, no more than 50% fuel. 50% is a good comfort zone considering you are a big target and will probably take hits that will spawn fuel leaks. The fuel gauges are on the upper left hand side of the cockpit, glance at them often after you get a fuel leak to see if you should bug out for home.

3.Power settings: I normally cruise at 80% prop pitch and 80% throttle. As a general rule in combat I keep the Pitch at 100 and the throttle firewalled because the radiators on the P-38 are excellent at cooling the engines. In case your engine(s) overheat drop pitch and throttle to 95%. Also be sure and reduce throttle and pitch in dives or compressability will become a problem.

3.Gun Convergence: My convergence normally stays at 200 on all guns because I fly many different types of aircraft though I have no trouble aiming with the Lightning's superb armament. The aircraft's pitch can be "twitchy" so be gentle when tracking a shot on a bogey.

4.Preferred View: Wide 90% of the time. Normal and Gunsight as needed. Be warned, getting fixated on a target in Gunsight view makes you very liable to be jumped from behind.

5.Misc: For ground pounding the P-38 is excellent any armament load out is effective but if you intend to mix it up with fighters leave the rockets at home as the launchers will degrade your speed and maneuverability. Try to approach the target between 2km-3km in height. I also like to fly through clouds as much as possible to help mask my approach.

6.Shines...when beating up ground targets. It is also a capable dogfighter in the right hands. The Lightning is better down low (under 3000m) where it can use its excellent climb and high speed at sea level. Stay above 300mph for aircraft that can out turn you; Zeke, Oscar, Tony, Spits, Hurri's, etc. The P-38 is surprisingly good in a tight turn, at high speeds it can do a 90 degree turn on a dime and a 180 pretty quick. At low speeds it can out turn 109's and 190's in the horizontal plane with combat flaps, which is often just enough to get a good shot. The Lightning is much more stable than the 190 so you can turn with and often away as they will often stall if not flown very carefully in a tight turn. Good E fighter.

7.Favorite Moves: Do a hammerhead and at the top of the maneuver when your speed drops to less than 90mph kill the inside engine as you kick the rudder hard into it and you can execute a great manuever. Decreasing the throttle on an engine to less than 40% just before a roll increases your rolll rate by just a smidge, kill the left engine when rolling left, right engine when rolling right.

8.Things to avoid: High speed dives are a killer because of the compressability. Watch your speed carefully, if it gets to 400 start pulling out on the P-38J with combat flaps, you can wait a little longer with the P-38L and use the dive flaps but dont push your luck, especially at low altitudes.

9.Last Thing: The L version is slightly better at ground pounding because of the HVAR trees. It is also better at high speeds because it has boosted ailerons which also allow it the fastest roll rate of any plane at 350+ mph. It also has dive breaks to save you from compressability. The J version is in my opinion the better dogfighter, it is a little bit faster and is more maneuverable at low to medium speeds.

10. I can document my sources for my info before I get flamed! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now thats some nice information Cat, well said indeed.

<S!>

Raptor_20thFG
01-28-2005, 01:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CV8_Dudeness:
When new guys ask for our help we shouldn't be saying, "not a cool thread." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
do you not understand what makes a human lazy & ungratefull ?

your not helping really

hes asking for DF advantage info , not "help"

my whole point was for him to get in the game & fly with attention <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude chill its just a game whats the matter afraid he take what you know and apply it better to beat you thats ridcoulous and you are being rude. Sorry man if I knbew anything I would telll you I do know though that on the P51 I trim for climbing because if you are low and slow on the deck you will die very fast.

S`
Raptor

Raptor_20thFG
01-28-2005, 01:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FatBoyHK:
P-51D info:

Rudder trim: 11 clicks to the right
Aileron trim: 1 clicks to the left
Elevator trim: depends on the speed (put it on a slider!)

Rad fully open, unless you are BnZing or on a run.

Engine can withstand 5 minute max of overheat, but it is not recommended. Best practice is to overheat for 3 minutes, and then reduce throttle to 97%, this is enough to cool down the engine, even with the rad closed. Never cool down by opening rad, especially when extending / escaping.

Never pull max G when your speed exceed 350 MPH IAS. Take extra care if you want to initiate any vertical move at 300 MPH IAS or above, (especially spit-s!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fat Boy try this for some kicks some time go 12 Clcks and make power 92 Pitch 90 Rad Closed. Just try it and see: Edit I am sorry leave the ruddder where it is. My Bad I counted wrong

MystiqBlackCat
01-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks Zen, I was trying to be as thorough as possible because it seems to me that the P-38 is highly underestimated.

BTW I enjoyed your post on the Dora, you always seem to have a wealth of info on the "Butcher Birds."

And the article on the A5 was also very good, the 190's are my first love.

FI.Snaphoo
01-29-2005, 03:53 AM
Bump, for the good information.

Jagdklinger
01-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Anyone know any good P47 threads/info?

TX-Zen
01-29-2005, 10:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MystiqBlackCat:
Thanks Zen, I was trying to be as thorough as possible because it seems to me that the P-38 is highly underestimated.

BTW I enjoyed your post on the Dora, you always seem to have a wealth of info on the "Butcher Birds."

And the article on the A5 was also very good, the 190's are my first love. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the reasons I ended up coming to the forums was because the 190 back then, like the P38 is now, was often misunderstood and shunned. I had found good performance to be had in the D9 but in those days most avoided it simply because their mindset was oriented on other ways of flying and the D9 didn't fit well there. It didn't seem right that such a fine airplane was so often avoided, so I put my .02 rupees in here and there and added to a strong group of dedicated 190 fliers my perspective on the plane. They helped me learn alot and I'm glad I could put a little bit of my own experience back into the forum.

Today the 190 community is very strong and a significant reason is that people clearly communicate how to get the most out of the plane so that others don't have to reinvent the wheel...with posts like yours the foundation for the P38 following the same path is being laid. One day I would like to see the various experten of all the plane types being able to communicate their experiences so that newcomers and even old hands can get the most out of any plane they choose to fly, if this comes to pass the life of the game will be extended because there is so much more to it than the often seen 'bank left and pull' mentality that the TnB fighters make so easy. The game is complex enough to be flown on many levels and while I feel that none are inherently superior to any others, it would be a shame if all people ever did was fly it one way and never see the other ways it can be enjoyed. Threads like this help the bigger picture and when people really communicate their experiences, all of us benefit...in this case I can have a better idea of what to do with the P38 because you took the time to write your assessment so well.

I think this thread is a great idea, I've seen some excellent responses and I send my appreciation to Jagdklinger for setting it into motion as well as those who have taken the time to share their experiences.

Jagdklinger
01-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Some more P-39 Advice from Civildog:-

========================================

The P-39-Q-10 as modeled in the gameisthe Russian version. The US version of the Q-10 also had two .50 cal gondolas under the wings.

The Russians removed those, but they are optional in the game if you want to use them. The US version had 3 bladed prop as shipped, but the Russians changed it to 4. The radios were removed to save weight in some cases but there are also 5 different versions of radio, each with different weight and usages that the Russians used in the Q-10, so info is pretty spotty on any single "average" Russian Q-10. Armor was shifted by the Russians to help the center-of-gravity problem and aid in spin recovery..at least in my experience the Q-10 in the game handles much better than the others in this regard.

Russian P-39's also had a large "shroud" mounted over the cannon barrel, which is at least on the skin, that was the starter crank lug for cold weather starter trucks. Look closely at the same thing on the I-16 and you can even see the notch for the bolt.

The fact that the Q-10, which was produced and used in greater numbers than any other version by the Russians, performs so differently (read: better, sturdier, more stable) than the other models in the game leads me to believe it's more like the "Russianized" version than the US stock model that was used in the PTO and originally packed off to Murmansk.

The 39 actually performed pretty well in the PTO as a landbased fighter-bomber. The plane didn't have supercharging so it didn't perform as advertised in any version in the ETO, but like the Lightening, showed good service in the PTO. It just wasn't the best dogfighter, and unlike us, the real pilots had to make do with what they were given.

The P-63 was mostly developed on Russian information and recommendations and it's a whole 'nother snake. It also saw combat in the Pacific where it's performance was as good as any, but it was still mainly as a fighter-bomber. But on the Eastern Front it was one of the best fighters the Russians had.

Also, the Russians thought of the P-39 as an all-around Fighter-bomber, rather than as a fighter, which is what the USAAF thought it was supposed to be. Since it excelled at low-altitude turn fighting and ground attack (fighter-bomber) the Russians loved it. But it wasn't what the USAAF wanted at the time. They were looking for something that could get up high and fight as a long-range escort fighter. Like say..the Mustang.

So when you use one in the game, either in PF or FB, you need to remember those things and use it accordingly to get the best out of it.

Jagdklinger
01-29-2005, 03:58 PM
BRILLIANT FOCKE-WULF THREAD!
Fw190 Thread is here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=9661024732)

Jagdklinger
01-29-2005, 04:04 PM
MESSERSCHMIDT 109K
And here is some advice on the 109K's temperamental engine. Rocketship 109K

Rocketship or brick? (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=6911037662)

"The 109K-4 - as used by Sir Robin, ace of aces" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If anyone has similar links, or has read a great post on a certain plane, please post them to this thread!

Jagdklinger
01-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Here are some other useful threads I started during my 'Luftwaffe' stage and my 'VVS stage' - a few useful tricks buried amongst the posts.

La's and Yaks (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=3991005562)

AND

109s and 190s (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=3121065552)

PS: I'm only new, so If you can remember/find older threads with aircraft advice,post em/point me to 'em. Cheers!

Jagdklinger
01-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Am slowly working my way through some past posts. Lotta good stuff on this forum. Today's feature:

THE P-51 MUSTANG - "Ta-dummm!"
Mustang Engine Management (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=7611063752)

AND

Mustang Advice (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=5391023252)

and here is some MORE P-38 ADVICE to at to 'Cat's post:
P-38 Online (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=6491055152)

including a few who agree with me that it is cool-looking target drone... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Sturm_Williger
02-01-2005, 10:02 AM
I'd hate this thread to die before more planes are mentioned.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Gwalker70
11-01-2005, 05:51 PM
the G10 is almost on par with K4 performance.. but the nose is much more light for making some adjustments at high speeds for some reason... I think maybe Oleg toned down the K4's rudder authority on purpose,, becuase hell, everybody on blue side would be in a K4 and not any other 109.. makes sense from a marketing standpoint I guess

neural_dream
11-01-2005, 06:09 PM
lol, talking about

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1595263411.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Btw, i should have checked this thread when i was looking for info for the aircraft reference guide.

OMK_Hand
11-02-2005, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Jagdklinger:
Anyone know any good P47 threads/info?

The numbers are for RPM and manifold pressure (in inches), taken from the pilots' notes.

P47 D:
(Cowl flaps closed above 225 mph IAS)
Take off: 2700 52" no flaps
Climb :
2700 52" for 5 mins only, then: 2550 42€ (best climb speed = 165mph IAS)
Max. Cruise: 2550 42"
Economy cruise: 2550 32"
Combat: 2700 52"
Emergeny War Power: Full Throttle 3 minutes only (3m 16secs in game!)
Land: Below 195 mph IAS wheels and flaps down
Approach: 115 mph IAS (130 with stores

The Cowl flaps can be kept closed.
Manoeuvres are good at low level with cruise settings, keeping rpm constant with throttle.
I ran combat power for 18 mins without problem, except emergency war power lasted 3 secs before overheating when engaged, so it's maybe best to use cruise where possible to stay cool, and therefore have a good reserve when it's needed.

Best climb IAS speed changes to 155 mph from 15,000' up.

Hope this is useful http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paulmo1981
05-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi all, i'm a newbie player at this sim but i play it with full realism settings and i manage to do good with some aircraft but i never now how to control the p-51 or the mk. III and i always lose when i play with these aircraft. Also i have problems getting best performance with fw's. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

domenlovrec
05-17-2006, 02:30 PM
P51

Some airplanes have to be flown on full real servers. Why? Boom n' zoom planes, where suprise efect is 80%.

When i fly P51 i use 100% fuel, cause i'm not planing to land. Usualy i'm in the air for about hour and a half. So i pretty much use all fuel.

Don't fight below 6000m.

I let cowl flaps closed when climbing. I use 100% throttle. After some time engine overheats. Then i fly with cowl postition 2 or 4. When looking for target cowl flaps are closed, thorttle 90%.

When fighting at 6000-8000 just calm down. These fights take very long time. Just don't make mistakes (stal etc.) and you'll win.

JamesBlonde888
11-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by CV8_Dudeness:
not a cool thread

info like this does you no good being handed to you

info like what your asking for comes from paying attention

for you personally to come to know the game , your going to have to pay close attention to what happens as your gaming , like every other knowledgeable-about-FB forum member does

your cheating yourself if you dont

But I would pay attention if someone handed me this information. Does that count???<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/JamesBlonde/newsig.bmp
3) Shouts 'Bleiben Sie auf Krs du kkuk!' when a family member detaches itself from the shopping formation.
http://www.freewebs.com/jamesblonde888/

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Die lezte

JerryFodder
11-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Jagdklinger:
Basically, how do you get the maximum performance from your plane? Can your La7 outpace Ta152s at 7000m, and if so, how do you do it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

No, La-7 pumps smoke out of the exhaust at 5000m and can't manage over 250kmph!!! If you want to kill one easily, drag it up above 4000m. I wonder how the FM works - I can't imagine that the LA-7 service ceiling was only 15k ft......
Unfortunately none of the online servers have a high alt air start so we don't see the LA-7 suffer as it should http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

I may as well fly a kite...

Xiolablu3
11-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Lol, the La7 has no auto mix fuel feature, so you have to do it yourself up there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thats why you see black smoke.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I despise what you say; I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

R988z
11-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by JerryFodder:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jagdklinger:

No, La-7 pumps smoke out of the exhaust at 5000m and can't manage over 250kmph!!! If you want to kill one easily, drag it up above 4000m. I wonder how the FM works - I can't imagine that the LA-7 service ceiling was only 15k ft......
Unfortunately none of the online servers have a high alt air start so we don't see the LA-7 suffer as it should http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem lies in the cockpit at the end of the control stick. You have to adjust the fuel mix manually in most Soviet aircraft, took me a little while to figure this out in the Yak as well http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif