PDA

View Full Version : target interception

fisher1772
03-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Hey.

I'm new to the subsim so I hope this will be an easy question.

Could someone explain the science behind plotting an interception course on the map. I know that I'm suposed to measure distance to the target with the ruler. Then use the compass to draw an area of estimated contact to target and then draw and search a corridor.
How do I accurately use the nav tools to correctly plot an interception course. Specificly, how do I know how far away from the target to I use the compass to draw a probable interception area and what radius do I draw it.

Thanks fellow cybersippers.

fisher1772
03-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Hey.

I'm new to the subsim so I hope this will be an easy question.

Could someone explain the science behind plotting an interception course on the map. I know that I'm suposed to measure distance to the target with the ruler. Then use the compass to draw an area of estimated contact to target and then draw and search a corridor.
How do I accurately use the nav tools to correctly plot an interception course. Specificly, how do I know how far away from the target to I use the compass to draw a probable interception area and what radius do I draw it.

Thanks fellow cybersippers.

jrkob2000
03-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Personally I do things a little bit differently.

1) With the ruler, I draw a line in the direction where the enemy ship is going.
2) I cruise toward that line so that I intercept the line with an angle of say 90 degrees. I have to arrive BEFORE the enemy ship of course, so I have to calculate the speed needed so that I will arrive early enough. I then double check with the enemy ship speed that indeed I will arrive before him. 5kt = 10km/h, so you can do the calculation very easily.
3) When I reach the interception point, I dive to periscope depth and listen the hydrophone.
4) When the ship passes in front of me: boom.

So far I've been doing that and it worked, no need to search much.

jrkob2000
03-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Personally I do things a little bit differently.

1) With the ruler, I draw a line in the direction where the enemy ship is going.
2) I cruise toward that line so that I intercept the line with an angle of say 90 degrees. I have to arrive BEFORE the enemy ship of course, so I have to calculate the speed needed so that I will arrive early enough. I then double check with the enemy ship speed that indeed I will arrive before him. 5kt = 10km/h, so you can do the calculation very easily.
3) When I reach the interception point, I dive to periscope depth and listen the hydrophone.
4) When the ship passes in front of me: boom.

So far I've been doing that and it worked, no need to search much.