PDA

View Full Version : Fighter AI and Head-On Passes

Snootles
11-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Whenever I fly Japanese fighters into a furball with a group of AI squadmates, I almost immediately lose half my group. Why? Because they decide to enter a head-on pass against their opponents. As I see it the only fighter pilots who should normally even consider meeting the enemy head-on are Jug drivers, pilots of a Grumman Iron Works product, or maybe Corsair pilots- i.e. pilots of planes that were made to take large amounts of damage. The delicate Japanese designs will almost always lose in a head-on meet against such vehicles.

I'm just wondering if the AI's universal penchant for head-ons could be curbed a little.

Nige_Reconman
11-07-2004, 02:57 AM
Actually in head on passes the AI generally don't shoot at me >90% of the time. A head on pass is almost a get out of jail free card i use it when i have no ammo to keep confronting the enemy until help arrives.

Fennec_P
11-07-2004, 03:29 AM
The tendancy to do head-on attacks varies with difficulty level.

Originally in IL-2, the AI would always shoot at you head-on.

In FB, it was changed so that recruit AI does not do head on attacks. All other difficulty levels do.

Nige_Reconman
11-07-2004, 03:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fennec_P:
The tendancy to do head-on attacks varies with difficulty level.

Originally in IL-2, the AI would always shoot at you head-on.

In FB, it was changed so that recruit AI does not do head on attacks. All other difficulty levels do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As in quality of AI pilots in that theatre ie recruit, veteran, ace etcetera. Or player difficulty level? I'm playing on full realisim and they still don't do head on attacks in PF. If ot just because rookie pilots are in that area then that's cool, but if it's because i've inadverdently set them to piss easy would like to know.

plumps_
11-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Just go to the Quick Mission Builder to find out how different AI levels behave in head-ons. Rookies and Average pilots won't fire at all at the first pass, Veterans and Aces will.

Vets and Aces won't kill you as easily in head-ons as they did in FB, so this has been improved.

ElAurens
11-07-2004, 10:40 AM
For me a head on pass agianst an AI is a death sentence about 90% of the time. They have computer fire control don'tcha know.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Saburo_0
11-08-2004, 12:45 AM
The irony is that Ace Japanese pilots in Ki-43s will try to go head on against the six-gun American fighters. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

How smart is the AI about using it's type to advantage ? I beleive there is some distinction between TnB & BnZ planes. Anybody tested the AI in different types ?