PDA

View Full Version : Will UBI do this for BoB?

9th_Bloodfist
03-20-2005, 12:12 PM
As some of you might allready know, UBI released two games this week, Silent Hunter III and Brother in Arms. Both of these games were released on DVD instead of the regular CD that we're used to. Now if you haven't been following the proggress of Pacific Fighters from the beggining, supposedly Oleg said there was " just not enough room to put everything on 2 CD's " so we were supposed to get this big patch were now expecting immediatley after the game was released. Since DVD's can store over 4 gigs of data on them, maybe Oleg should consider going this route when he releases BOB. This way he can put everything on one disk and leave nothing out, the only downside to it will be he won't be able to use that "not enough room" excuse again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

VW-IceFire
03-20-2005, 12:33 PM
DVD's are entering mainstream as a data storage device. Prices have dropped, availability is high, DVD burners (dual layer) are $100 Canadian, DVD-Roms are $30 or so....there's really no reason that a customer can't use a DVD release disk these days.

You can bet BoB will be on DVD. If you can afford the $50 game...you can afford the $30 drive (or less - I'm talking a GOOD DVD-ROM).

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-20-2005, 01:39 PM
I hope CDROMS are a thing of the past and DVDROM is the way publishers finally start to go. It is so nice to only have to install 1 cd. I have some games like FarCry that takes 5 cds. One thing though...it will be cheaper for a publisher to make one DVDROM per game then multiple CDROMS, I wonder if they will start to lower the price...Im dreaming arnt I? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

eddiemac0
03-20-2005, 02:03 PM
what about those of us who don't have a DVD drive and are not ready to upgrade, do those two games come on CD?

LW_lcarp
03-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Im thinking that CD ROm is going to be like 8 track tapes. The younger generation is going to look at you funny and say whats a CD ROM

Bikewer
03-20-2005, 05:23 PM
I've seen several games in-store lately that come in both formats.
Seriously considering putting a drive in my rig, with the prices now there's hardly any excuse.

9th_Bloodfist
03-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Well I bought Silent Hunter III on Wednesday, and didn't realize it needed a dvd drive to instal and play the game. You can only imagine how pissed I was to find this out. I ordered one from price watch, an Asus dvd rom for $24 with $4 for shipping. Hopefully I'll have it by tuesday and be able to play SH 3, then I'll go get brother in arms. The drives are pretty cheap right now, and I recommend www.pricewatch.com (http://www.pricewatch.com) for anyone looking for one!

sukebeboy
03-20-2005, 06:46 PM
I just hope they get rid of the stupid Starforce protection system. I really don't like the way it rewrites IDE stuff on my machine.

noshens
03-20-2005, 09:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sukebeboy:
I just hope they get rid of the stupid Starforce protection system. I really don't like the way it rewrites IDE stuff on my machine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You wish, they are just starting to use it. Silent Hunter 3 is still not out on shelves in Mexico.

Bearcat99
03-20-2005, 10:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sukebeboy:
I just hope they get rid of the stupid Starforce protection system. I really don't like the way it rewrites IDE stuff on my machine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People brought it on themselves....... this is one way in which piracy hurts EVERYONE. Yet some people still dont get it. (Not saying YOU dont get it......)

Spectre-63
03-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Piracy is also brought about by the desire to not get screwed over by the publisher or developer. I can't count the number of titles in my CD rack that remain unplayed because they were either grossly misrepresented or shoddily released and even more shoddily supported.

There comes a point at which people cease to be willing to shell out $50 only to find out that they've been lied to. Pretty soon, they find alternatives to ensure that their money isn't being taken under false pretenses.

Maj_Death
03-21-2005, 06:00 AM
I had to go get a DVD-ROM along with SHIII but it wasn't that big of a deal. $40 for SHIII and $55 for decent CD-RW/DVD. And it is certainly nice to have only 1 install disk again (**** you all for farcry's 5 discs!).

BTW I doubt CD's will end up like 8-track tapes (I've never actually seen one of those FYI). Reason being music CD's being turned into DVD's is a bit silly. So the format isn't likely to go away immediatly or suddenly. They have also been around long enough at this point that they will probebly be remembered as a major format such as records or floppy disks. And no I don't think music CD's will be replaced by MP-3's, reason is that MP-3's are at lower sound quality than the POS speakers in my crappy car can churn out with an old audio cassette tape. And yes I am aware of CD quality MP3's but those are few and far between. Most are those terrible sounding 160kb/s ones.

WOLFMondo
03-21-2005, 06:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
DVD's are entering mainstream as a data storage device. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had a DVD drive for the last 4 years! I've not seen a PC you can buy in a shop thats not had one for probably 3 years.