PDA

View Full Version : Problem when setting up LCD TV

FatBoyHK
03-24-2005, 11:02 AM
haha I just bought a 26" LCD TV, it is greeeeeeat!!!! I am building a home cockpit, and it is the first component I bought.

But here is a problem. It is capable of doing 1366 x 768 pixel. However I can't select this resolution in the desktop properties. Later I found out that I need a software called PowerStrip. I use it to enable a "custom" resolution setting, and then I can use 1366 x 768... Then I also changed the IL2's resolution to 1366 x 768 in the conf.ini.... It worked great.

Then I tried Doom3, which support 4:3 resolution only. Once I launched it, my LCD TV complained immediately, said "signal error" or something similar, and all I could see was a black screen. I tried to change several setting, but they can't solve the problem. Then I found out that my computer can now only output 1366x768, but not 1024x768, nor 1280x768, nor any other resolutions...

It is fine as long as I play IL2 only, but I do play some other games. Therefore It is unacceptable for me. I kind of worked around the problem by uninstalling Powerstrip and uninsatll-reinstallthe 6800GT's drvier.... I can no longer use 1366x768, but I can switch from 800x600 all the way to 1280x768 without problem....

But Of course it will be better if I can take advantage of the full capability of my new toy... So I did somethings wrong? can anyone give me some hints?

FatBoyHK
03-24-2005, 05:47 PM
HiHi http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FlatSpinMan
03-24-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm afraid that is your punishment for playing games other than Il2. You should have known better, now you have to accept the consque http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gifnces

Wilburnator
03-24-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm afraid I can't help you, but I'm itching to see if anyone else can. I saw some pics someone posted a while back of IL2 in wide screen and I haven't stopped lusting for it yet.

I was at Circuit City the other day and they had a 24" wide screen LCD T.V. "open box special" for @ $700 and after pricing wide screen pc monitors I almost bought it. Fear stopped me. It was labeled as PC compatible... does this mean I wouldn't have this same problem as FatBoy? Would I be able to play PF in wide screen, but the monitor might perform badly in other areas? Why do LCD HDTV monitors that are "PC ready" (according to their manufacturers) cost so much less than wide screens that are sold as PC monitors? Is it refresh rate?

If anybody knows any of these answers, I'd love to hear...

FatBoyHK
03-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Wilburnator I had the same fear as you have...
My 26" Sharp LCD TV is US$2000. But there are some 30" LCD TV which cost about $1000 only. This $1000 models would certainly make people wonder why there are so cheap, comparing with those "PC Monitors"..... Do their Image quality not up to standard? Any "hidden" weaknesses? etcetc...

What I did before I pressed the trigger is tons after tons of windows shopping, to try to find out the fact.... I found that those cheaper LCD TV are just made with low quality LCD panel, just like those cheaper LCD Monitor. If you understand that, the lower price of these models are not somethings to be feared, there are low-quailty LCD TV, but there are also high quality LCD TV.

My suggestion, of couse, is to go for those "better" LCD TV with higher price, their image are much sharper.

noshens
03-27-2005, 12:13 AM
I'd rather buy dell 24" screen for $1000. Can't beat that super resolution and 12ms refresh rate and of course, full pc compatibilty because it is a display for pcs after all.

FatBoyHK
03-27-2005, 08:10 AM
$1000 for a 24" Dell mon??? where?