PDA

View Full Version : Lasers in Infiltration Mode

hermanJnr.557
05-16-2010, 09:49 AM
As a fan of "old" Splinter Cell (with CT being my favourite), I figured I wouldn't get on too well with Conviction when I heard about all the mechanics being stripped out.

Surprisingly, I actually really enjoy the more streamlined stealth (though I prefer to play quietly and never use secondary weapons).

Anyway, after finishing SP I've been enjoying Realistic Hunter with all stealth kills, and I recently got Infiltration off of UPlay, expecting a version of Hunter in which you get spotted and you're out. Cool.

Well, Infiltration adds tons of cameras, which is fine and adds a challenge. I only noticed the lasers with Sonar after random mission-ending explosions all the time. They're seemingly plastered everywhere, and just break the game mode for me.

It's bad enough even using Sonar Goggles (which I usually use Snake Cam over, since I feel like the Sonar Goggles are almost cheating >_> ), because hand to hand takedowns are pretty much off the menu, especially in very bright environments without many shadows.

It's even worse when I'm playing with No Gadgets, since you can't even see the lasers (unless I'm missing something)...having your mission insta-fail on bad guy 9 out of 10 in a zone because of a totally invisible moving laser is just about as lame as you can get.

Gah, anyone else hate the lasers and wish you can turn them off, or just me? I'd love Ubi to add a laser-free Infiltration option.

...Or maybe I'm not just "Pr0" enough yet (only owned the game for about 2 days) and I'll get used to it. Who knows... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Dellers
05-16-2010, 10:39 AM
You can see the lasers (note CAN, it's not always easy), they look like those lasers in Chaos Theory on the wall, two small boxes. To spot them you should use your ears, as they make a pretty distinct sound when getting close, when you hear them have a look and it should be fine. Just never run, then you might blow it.

Compassghost
05-16-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty sure you can see the boxes, I've seen them in my short stint in Infiltration before going back to Hunter to finish the Stealth Challenges. Also, IIRC, they should still make the goggle buzzing noise regardless of whether you can use them or not, that sounds like a consistent buzzing.

Tengux
05-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Both statements above are correct, they give off a buzzing noise when you get close to them (Really close xD Buzz = STOP!) and then if you look you can see the little box on the wall. Mind that many of the lasers move on rail which is easily spotted, so the sonar goggles are just a helpful feature to spot them, but you don't need them if you have got a decent eye-sight and move slowly forward.

Personally i hate the lasers because there is no way to turn some of them off, I'm fine with those that are moving up and down which add an extra level of awareness, but those that are placed at hip level in a door-way are just plain annoying, they might as well have put up a sign saying "You are not allowed to take this route through the level" and that combined with the brightly light rooms often leave only one possible route through the entire level, once you know that then the infiltration levels are easy enough. I can do the St. Petersburg level in infiltration mode while blind-folded by now >.<