PDA

View Full Version : Desmond's Story!

jums300
10-11-2010, 06:10 AM
People, the only reason why we have played with ezio or ALtair (i dont know if i spelled that right)is that this guy named Desmond could become a great modern assassin. Ubisoft has to create a game with just his modern storyline without going back in time!

AnthonyA85
10-11-2010, 08:54 AM
We don't know what the storyline will be for Assassin's Creed 3, although the chances of it bieng soley desmond centric are high, in my opinion.

We already know what roles Altair and Ezio played, and why. The first game was a treasure hunt/very good conspiracy story, the second, was essentially a training exercise for Desmond, Lucy did say they were going to train him using Ezio's memories, which, by the end of the game, is exactly what they'd done.

We will most likely see some 'field work' for Desmond in ACB, since his training is pretty much complete now (unless he's going to pick up Ezio's fighting and acrobatic skills we'll be using in Brotherhood, which is likely)

Roakeru
10-11-2010, 09:21 AM
in my opinion creating a story with only Desmond and without an ancestor is a mistake because the most appealing thing about AC is the innovative gameplay which involves ancient times and unique set pieces not found in other games...so if the turn AC into a modern day third person shooter i will definitely lose my interest in the franchise...if it was after me i would create a game without Desmond at all,not the other way around.

AnthonyA85
10-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Well, in terms of ancestors, they've always moved forwards, closer to the presseant, i can't see them skipping back thousands of years to ancient greece for AC3.

If it does involve another ancestor, it'll most likely be in the Nepolionic era, or during the time of the American Revolution or civil war at the earliest, or World War 1 at the latest.

World War 1 has almost NEVER been touched in terms of games, (I don't know of ANY games set during and centered around the countries and events of WW1, Rise of Nations doesn't really count), WW2 on the other hand has been over-used to the piont it's not funny anymore.

itsamea-mario
10-11-2010, 10:05 AM
no-one said it needs to be a shooter, desmond need never pick up a gun, increasing the use of stealth.
besides due to the bleeding effect, it is likely we may see more ancestors, this could be short moments, convieniently place so he learns something, are large sections, where he may discover something important.
but you have to face it, they can't lead up to this moment where desmond is supposed to save the world, and then not live up to it.

Also i think the reason desmond goes back to ezio, may be that he's trying to learn how to lead for when the time comes.

FrankieSatt
10-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Roakeru:
in my opinion creating a story with only Desmond and without an ancestor is a mistake because the most appealing thing about AC is the innovative gameplay which involves ancient times and unique set pieces not found in other games...so if the turn AC into a modern day third person shooter i will definitely lose my interest in the franchise...if it was after me i would create a game without Desmond at all,not the other way around.

There is not way to create a game without Desmond, Desmond IS the story. Without Desmond you don't have Assassins Creed, you have a different game.

There HAS to be a game with just Desmond because that is the only way to complete his story. Furthermore, once his story is complete the series needs to be finished as there is no need for Desmond to go back into the animus or go back in time to his ancestors.

CRUDFACE
10-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by FrankieSatt:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roakeru:

There is not way to create a game without Desmond, Desmond IS the story. Without Desmond you don't have Assassins Creed, you have a different game.

There HAS to be a game with just Desmond because that is the only way to complete his story. Furthermore, once his story is complete the series needs to be finished as there is no need for Desmond to go back into the animus or go back in time to his ancestors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that a story with desmond in it as the main focus is crucial, but the flare of assassin's creed came form its use of ancestery and its link between that and the present. I'd be happier if we just had the game split down with 1/3 desmond and the rest as an amalgam of acestors.

What I mean is...hmm...say Desmond is doing something related to one of his ancestors in the third game, but then the bleeding effect kicks in, making him experience something which is the answer to getting through it. That, and a toned down version where he sees ghosts of his memory like he did with Altair's. The ghosts could be doing something that he needs to replicate.

devildog789
10-11-2010, 01:06 PM
I feel that if AC3 were to totally be modern, it would be almost like Uncharted. Going to exotic locations to try and find an apple. I couldn't really see anything else. I mean, if he assassinates somebody in modern times, he won't be able to just run off; We have so much modern technology, it'd be impossible.

Pattington_Bear
10-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I can't remember, what my source was I think it was a Gaming Documentary, But apparently Ubisoft could make 100 different games around Desmonds ancestors, but they'd prefer to round off the story without running the Title into the ground.

My guess is that AC 3 will be the final game based around the greatest assassin, Desmond and I'm actually looking forward to the modern twist.

Roakeru
10-11-2010, 01:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roakeru:

There HAS to be a game with just Desmond because that is the only way to complete his story. Furthermore, once his story is complete the series needs to be finished as there is no need for Desmond to go back into the animus or go back in time to his ancestors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is no need for a game with just Desmond...the story can be completed with a game that combines an ancestor (or ancestors like t260z said) with a few sections with Desmond....a game with only Desmond will not work because it won't be AC ,the present day gameplay will require the use of weapons and modern technology ,thus changing the entire premise of AC...like i said before it will lose it's originality so ancestors are vital to the franchise(french revolution is the most logical follow-up)

itsamea-mario
10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
yeah cos the game has remained gun free, tank free, mounted machine gun free, mounted aquatic rocket launcher free, flying gunship free, so far... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

CRUDFACE
10-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Umm, yeah...Brotherhood may upset you then...about the tank free thing, and other stuff to.

itsamea-mario
10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Thats what i was refering to...

DeafAtheist
10-11-2010, 03:07 PM
There HAS to be a game with just Desmond because that is the only way to complete his story. Furthermore, once his story is complete the series needs to be finished as there is no need for Desmond to go back into the animus or go back in time to his ancestors.

You're half right. Yes, Desmond's story needs to be complete, but that doesn't necessarily mean a story with just Desmond in modern times without using the Animus. I imagine Ubisoft would finish Desmond's story with a game that is focused mainly on Desmond but he would still use the Animus.

While Assassin's Creed fans are curious to learn how Desmond's story ends, it's the ancestors Desmond accesses in the Animus that makes the game worth playing. Eliminating the Animus from a Desmond centered story wouldn't sell very well.

Roakeru
10-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
yeah cos the game has remained gun free, tank free, mounted machine gun free, mounted aquatic rocket launcher free, flying gunship free, so far... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif actually i like the stuff that are in brotherhood because designs like those fit the time period....and besides you can use them for a mission or two....but using weapons for the entire game is something else...and the parkour would became impossible in a large city because of the scale(could work in a small town though ) and because of the authorities who could hunt you down in a chopper http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif....seriously i think the game will not work only in modern day...and if it becomes something like uncharted it would lose the open world/sandbox style and again ruin the whole AC premise

Chewitt321
10-11-2010, 03:24 PM
ISNT IT OBVIOUS? THE ANIMUS SETTINGS FOR THE GAMES HAVE WORKED AROUND religious settings, the crusades (the holy war) the renaisance (the time when science overtook religion medicine for example)
So if the Animus is used in the third game then I suspect the emphasis will be on Desmond's story with snippets back to different time periods for reference, research or an extra ability. Destinations could include the time of Darwin, Gandhi, a WW2 game in a concentration or extermination camp (but I struggle to see how this could become a free running game.)

NuclearFuss
10-11-2010, 03:35 PM
^ I doubt they'd bounce to random places. They've always introduced Assassin's as someone we use for the full game, and we sort of care what happens to them. I wouldn't really care about some random guy in a concentration camp to be honest, So it needs to be all Desmond, or a new Assassin in a new era, for a decent portion of the game.

Zokuno
10-11-2010, 10:43 PM
What if Desmond was an ancestor and was being watched by someone in the Animus 0_o

Highly unlikely though :P

Sparty2020
10-11-2010, 11:32 PM
A game with just Desmond would be boring. Do you want to know what got me and everyone else interested in the first game? Before this whole sci-fi time-travel thing was announced, we were interested because it was an ambitious historical game using real people. If they remove the history section out of the blue then what got alot of people first interested will dissapear.

I understand we need to wrap Desmond's story up, and I understand we need a Desmond-centric game. All I want is for people to be patient a little longer until AC 4 or 5. We find out that Ezio is the grandmaster of all the assassins, Desmonds family is beyond epic, he's a direct descendant of Adam and Eve, and get 6 statues showing people who might even be ancestors of Desmond. There is also the French Revolution, the Spanish looking for the Fountain of Youth like Altair might have done, the founding of the Farm in the USA, the large amount of espionage and assassination in the Cold War, and both World Wars.

Personally it would be such a shame to leave such juicy settings untouched, and I'm sure other history buffs will back me in saying they'd rather have AC3 be with another ancestor than with Desmond.

FrankieSatt
10-12-2010, 07:04 AM
I don't think there is a way to extend this series to AC 4 or AC 5. Brotherhood is the 3rd game, AC III will be the 4th game. I can't see this series going any farther than that. Dragging it out unnecessarily would be disaster.

The way the story line has been written and where they are at now, in regards to the story line, I can't see it lasting any further than AC III

DeafAtheist
10-12-2010, 07:19 AM
I don't think there is a way to extend this series to AC 4 or AC 5. Brotherhood is the 3rd game, AC III will be the 4th game. I can't see this series going any farther than that. Dragging it out unnecessarily would be disaster.

The way the story line has been written and where they are at now, in regards to the story line, I can't see it lasting any further than AC III

You're kidding, right?

While I agree that continuing Desmond's story past another game or 2 would be stretching it there are literally hundreds of stories that could be told using different characters. Take the comic that's being done for instance... it centers around a modern Assassin named Daniel Cross who accesses an ancestor in Czarist Russia.

The story possibilities are nearly endless. One possibility could be a prequel series centered around Subject 16.

Personally I hope the franchise doesn't die with the end of Desmond's story.

CRUDFACE
10-12-2010, 08:06 AM
I could have sworn they already anounced that Assassin's Creed 3 (the one after Brotherhood since that's like 2.5) will be the last AC game.

SteelCity999
10-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by t260z:
I could have sworn they already anounced that Assassin's Creed 3 (the one after Brotherhood since that's like 2.5) will be the last AC game.

It would be sad but I honestly don't think they will let the series die - Desmond's story, yes will end. There is way too much story that could be told and way too much money to be made.

itsamea-mario
10-12-2010, 09:10 AM
i think it should go now further than 3, all great things must have their end. making more games would probably make it a little less, great.

FrankieSatt
10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
i think it should go now further than 3, all great things must have their end. making more games would probably make it a little less, great.

I agree. I would rather the series end than be jacked up like Ubi has allowed Splinter Cell to be.

@DeafAthiest

The only way to extend the series beyond Desmond is to do prequels, and prequels are terrible... not just in movies but in video games as well. You almost always end up changing the "Lore" of the franchise, or "Canon" as it's also called.

I do not like the idea of a game revolving around "Subject 16" either. He's mysterious and I like it that way.

No, let the seris die off instead of trying to extend it just to make $$$$.