PDA

View Full Version : New Vampires

jep275
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
I am curious as to what everyone thinks about the new explanations behind the vampires. That their insides are venom and they need blood to thin said venom out. I find vampire lore/mythology the most interesting part of the character, as opposed to the romantic/scary/act like a goth that many people associate with the story. I think this is an interesting twist on the traditional vampire tale. The vampire is no longer a damned monster turned by an aggressive attack.

The venom theory could also explain the generally employed concept that vampires are destroyed by sunlight. Obviously battles will generally occur in the sunlight, instead of sunlight destroying the vampire, direct contact with sunlight could slowly heat the venom causing harm.

Perhaps this could be a handicap of the vampire. As opposed to the "reviving/healing/turning" creatures killed in combat, the vampire could also suffer losses after X number of turns, similar to a poison spell.

Just a thought to generate a new disucssion.

Thunion
01-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Interesting idea..But if i am not wrong a sky was always just graphics,even if i never looked at it but i dont think there is day/nigh(i THINK,i generously dont know) however there is diffrent enviromenets and not on all of them we see sun.I think it would be very cool for ubi to create day/night,enviroment,weather matter more for example sun knights gain atk dmg 4 from sunny day:If its light rain they gain 3(75%) if its strom they gain 2(50%) If its fog 1(25%) if its night 0(obviusly 0%).Also more about fog,imagine what features can be impemented using this:First of all inability to whole opponent army,this would bring new strategic depths like cohse moving you army slowly in close formation,or attacking with swift units and then backing back to the fog.Imagine strength of harpies/blood maidens here :O.Of course it comes with fog clearing spells etc.So its my opinion,you idea is very good however creating changing one day/night mechaninc for just one creature would be pointless however if they would do that for alots of creatures it would be brilliant

SandroTheMaster
01-28-2011, 03:02 AM
If I'm not wrong, the original Heroes (Or, at the very least, Heroes II) had a day/night system based around your place in the turn order. It was very subtle, though. It was portrayed by a small crest in the "It's your turn now" window, and went from dawn to night.

Other than that, it didn't have any purpose...

I believe the idea is somewhat cool, but I think it'd tip the balance too much to the weather conditions. The Necromancers would obviously be at a huge disadvantage during the day and Haven during the night.

Other than that, yes, the Vampire lore of the new world is interesting, but so was the original Might and Magic lore on it (from what you can gather from the Might and Magic RPGs and some glimpses from the Heroes campaigns). Still, I hate the new Vampire Lord's armor. It's like Heroes V all over again, where the regular vampire had such a cool movement animation you didn't feel like upgrading to the teleporting one. What happened to bat form anyway? It'd be cool if he turned into a bat-like creature to move like before.

But right now I think the concept of the proto-liches more interesting. I wonder if the campaign will touch the subject of necromancers trying to perfect lichdom in order to avoid immortality-through-poisoned-blood method.

kodial79
01-28-2011, 03:41 AM
I don't think HoMM's Vampires mind sunlight. They can very well get out in the day too. That's the impression I'm getting at least.

I dislike the idea of venom killing an undead. But in this case, I can make an exception. Since we're talking about Asha's venom. As Asha is a Goddess, her venom can be considered a supernatural substance. From that point of view, it's not too unfitting to think, that such a venom could destroy a vampire.

Still, I would have liked better to see for once a more traditional take on vampires. But oh well...

Thunion
01-28-2011, 04:19 AM
The thing why i wanted to include the weather is to give a defending and advantage when he choses time/weather/place not great advantage taht can make small army easely beat great but moderate one.By defending i mean the player whos lands are attacked not hero who is attacked.

Paokali
01-29-2011, 02:34 AM
I find the idea to be interesting however, the day and night idea, with the venom severely weakens vampires. These have always been one of the strongest in necromantic lore. I think perhaps there can be a back story but it should have no effect.

It can be seen as a form of control, Asha can control the strong creature as if they have to continue to feed kind of like a drug, alternately they can just feed as normal, but the venom can act as something similar to the lycene contingency in jurrasic park.

However in Heroes of might and magic 4 on gauldoroths campaign he does punish a vampire by leaving it out till morning. It was an inconsistency but it makes me wonder what are the actual parameters of HoMM vampires.

Elementalist.
01-30-2011, 04:49 AM
Personally I find the vampire - lich origins silly. Sure it's new but liches turning into vampires that start aging backwards and turn from a magical ranged into a melee unit..

Oakwarrior
01-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Perfectly viable I'd say. Liches have frail bodies that they need to protect from harm (ranged units - perfect), while Vampires have near-perfect bodies that they use with full effect against their enemies (melee units - perfect again).

Elementalist.
01-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Definitely but it still doesn't sound naturally convincing.

kodial79
01-30-2011, 11:07 AM
The earliest known written form of the word vampire, comes from a Russian monk who was either describing himself or some prince (I don't remember which), as a Upyr Likhiy. Upyr means vampire, guess what other famous undead monster got its name from the word Likhiy? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Well, let's just say it's not too far off to claim that vampires and liches have the same origins. So I kinda like that lich and vampires are supposed to be the same, just one more advanced than the other.

Paokali
01-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Hmm, liches being vampyres just feels wrong, I mean they are meant to be undead mages, you cant just take a turned Vampyre warrior with no magical abilities and call him a lick, liches are also fragile and there is no way a lich could be originated from a vampyre their folk lore other than the monk story of course is greatly unrelated.