PDA

View Full Version : Combat over Europe

Slight9999
07-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Sorry about earlier posts where I was getting confused about the up-coming Combat over Europe and the already released Battle over Europe.

I can't locate much details on Combat over Europe so I was wondering if someone can share what they know. I have found out that it does not add any aircraft so I am confused as to how this expansion works as most planes are eastern front.

I don't understand how they can make a western front campaign with mainly eastern fronts planes. I realise the 2.01 patch adds a lot of western front aircraft but the description of Combat over Europe does not say if 2.01 patch comes with this new expansion. Or if Ace expansion is even needed.

Thanks in advance:
A very confused IL2 noob.

Slight9999
07-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Sorry about earlier posts where I was getting confused about the up-coming Combat over Europe and the already released Battle over Europe.

I can't locate much details on Combat over Europe so I was wondering if someone can share what they know. I have found out that it does not add any aircraft so I am confused as to how this expansion works as most planes are eastern front.

I don't understand how they can make a western front campaign with mainly eastern fronts planes. I realise the 2.01 patch adds a lot of western front aircraft but the description of Combat over Europe does not say if 2.01 patch comes with this new expansion. Or if Ace expansion is even needed.

Thanks in advance:
A very confused IL2 noob.

Lateralus_17SS
07-11-2004, 04:48 PM
What the hell are you talking about?

Slight9999
07-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Battle over Europe = already released expansion
Combat over Europe = 3rd party expansion
*Check ebgames.com*

I also am trying to figure out what I am talking about. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zeus-cat
07-11-2004, 09:16 PM
I have BOE and it is good. All of it is western front action.

Don't know anything about COE except what I have read here in the forum. People usually trash it around here.

Get BOE.

Zeus-cat

Lateralus_17SS
07-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Ah, didn't know about any of these 3rd-party offerings.

ZG77_Lignite
07-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Though I could easily be mistaken, I believe 'Combat Over Europe' has already been available for quite some time. I'm reasonably sure it is what might be called a 'mission pack'; more specifically it is a scripted (linear) campaign comprised of carefully crafted missions, including many aircraft skins.

Again, I may be wrong, but I believe it is compatible with Forgotten Battles 1.22 (you have to buy FB, and download patch 1.22). However, if I heard correctly, there is a 'patch' for it that will allow it (Combat Over Europe) to utilize the new aircraft available in the Ace Expansion Pack (which also requires FB). It probably does not include any of the official (namely, 1.22) FB patches, nor does it contain the Ace Expansion Pack (again, it is simply missions created by the Full Mission Builder, as well as skins).

Though I don't have it, I believe it can be assumed that it uses the 'Normandy', 'Ardennes', and 'Berlin' maps, in conjunction with the P47, P51, and B17 (as well as axis aircraft, and patched to include Spitfires and P38's) to simulate European air combat. It doesn't do anything you couldn't (technically) do yourself, or get for free on the internet. However, the creator (one Ossi, if memory serves) was quite talented at mission building, and the skins included are reportedly quite good.

It certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea (LeadBanSpitter, no need to reply, we all know how you feel ), but if your not up for downloading a bunch of stuff, or spending many countless hours at mission building, you might like it.

Slight9999
07-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'll check it out some more.