PDA

View Full Version : K14 gunsight

DmdSeeker
02-15-2005, 05:33 AM
Hi all;

I know there's been posts on this; but the search function's not working....

OK.. I've got the keys mapped OK; and every thing's working.

However; when you press decrease (or increase for that matter) sight distance; I get the HUD confirmation; and I can see the reticule grow or shrink appropriatly. But the wing span indicator on the sight bezel doesn't change; nor do there seem to be any other graduation marks.

So what am I changing?

There's no way I can see to check what range I'm setting the sight to; is there?

Any tips?

DmdSeeker
02-15-2005, 05:33 AM
Hi all;

I know there's been posts on this; but the search function's not working....

OK.. I've got the keys mapped OK; and every thing's working.

However; when you press decrease (or increase for that matter) sight distance; I get the HUD confirmation; and I can see the reticule grow or shrink appropriatly. But the wing span indicator on the sight bezel doesn't change; nor do there seem to be any other graduation marks.

So what am I changing?

There's no way I can see to check what range I'm setting the sight to; is there?

Any tips?

3.JG51_BigBear
02-15-2005, 06:19 AM
First you need to hit "Togle Sight Mode." Hit it once and you get fixed and gyro, hit it twice its just gyro, and a third time brings you back to fixed. Increase/Decrease sight Distance changin the Diameter of the recticle to correct for the distance from the target. "Adjust Sight Control Left" and "Adjust Sight Control Right" change the sight between the different aircraft categories along the bottom of the sight: ME109, FW190, FW200, etc.

xrvjorn
02-15-2005, 07:38 AM
When adjusting the reticle sight to match the wingspan of the target, should the wings match the inside or outside of the reticle dashes?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/jr_spab/tmp.jpg

DmdSeeker
02-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the reply, Bigbear; but as I said; all the keys are mapped and seem to work; I just don't understand what they're doing.

For instance; at minimum sight range; the gyro reticule matches the fixed reticule in size. The sight bezel says Do17Z; and my convergence is set at 250.

I'd imagine this to mean that I should fill the gyro reticule with the plan form of a Dornier; at a distance such that the wingspan of the Do17Z match the diameter of the reticule then I'd be at the correct firing distance (250 yrds) for a target of this size.

As I said; I imagine that's how it works http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But that leaves some questions:

1) If that's true of the minimum sight distance; what range does the maximum sight range reach?

2) IF I'm right in my assumptions; does the normal, fixed reticule gun sight in IL-2 adjust in diameter in compliance with convergence settings? I must say I've never noticed it??

DmdSeeker
02-15-2005, 03:09 PM
bump!

3.JG51_BigBear
02-15-2005, 05:06 PM
As I understand the system, in real life a pilot would identify his target and switch the selector on the gunsight to the appropriate AC. The pilot would then use a twist knob on the throttle to set the range on the gunsight. The reticle would then expand to the correct diameter to accomidate the wings of the target at that range. I would think that the pilot would be likely to leave the range selector in the position for his convergence and then try to get within range to fire but I guess in real life you take the shot when you can get it.

And no the reticle doesn't change size to match your convergence.

DmdSeeker
02-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Again thx for the reply :-)

I guess we're using the keys to replace the throttle twist grip; but how do we know what range we're setting?

It's a bit of a waste to set the sights at 500 when my convergence is 250!

3.JG51_BigBear
02-15-2005, 07:47 PM
To be honest I don't know if I've ever seen anyone post a way to tell what the range is set to. I know it seems funny to move the range off the convergence but in real life firing on the convergence is the ideal, won't always happen. For most pilots, hearing the tap tap tap of bullets poking holes in their AC was enough to get them to turn for home because it was very difficult to determine damage to the plane even with he help of a wingmen. In many situations I think getting the enemy to turn back would be enough for most pilots and in that case just getting hits would be the important thing. Another thing to consider is that often the guns on P-51s and P-47s had staggered convergence rates. Say 100yards for the inner two guns and 150yards for the outer four to make a cone of fire and changing the range on the gunsight may have been usefull when the enemy was out of range for one set but the pilot still though he could get them with the other (this one is just a theory, I doubt it would make much difference).

horseback
02-15-2005, 11:26 PM
The default settng for the sights is for your preset convergence; so, if you then set your sights for a 109, the wings of a 109 will fit just inside the reticle when the target is 200m away (assuming that 200m is what your convergence is set for-the game default setting is 500m, which seems a little excessive to me for anything other than the P-38). As long as the pipper is on the fuselage, you can still tear him a new one up to around 100m away in most cases, or from 0-300+m, if you're set for 200m.

In-game, the only US fighter you can set a dual convergence for is the P-47; it's 2 inner guns are set to the MGs and the 2 outer guns are set to the Cannon for purposes of convergence. Use the longer convergence for one or the other to create a bigger 'tunnel of love' for your targets.

cheers

horseback