PDA

View Full Version : Ways To Make Assassin's Creed 2 (And Beyond!) Even More Awesome

blankwell
01-28-2010, 01:42 AM
I have been playing Assassin's Creed 2 religiously for the past couple weeks. The game is simply awesome-- amazingly fun and breathtakingly beautiful-- but I noticed a few annoying things in the gameplay that, if corrected, could make Assassin's Creed 3 one of the greatest video games of all time.

Again, if anyone from UbiSoft happens to read this, AC2 is really a fantastic game. I love it. I only write this to offer constructive criticism and feedback. And if you don't work for Ubisoft and haven't played Assassin's Creed 2, I highly recommend it. Check this game out.

Anyway, on to my list, which refers to the PS3 version of AC2 and is broken up into 2 sections, Combat and Free Running.

Combat:

1. AC3 could really use a melee attack-- a move to use when, for example, you're surrounded by six dudes and need to quickly make some space. A warhammer could have this ability-- a circular swinging motion that momentarily knocks your attackers off balance. This would also address the fact that there is really not a huge difference between the main weapons in AC2 besides the counter-kill animations. It could make acquiring a warhammer/mace a significant progression in the game.

2. Kicking. When in the heat of battle, it would be great to be able to kick your assailant while he blocks one of your attacks. This would throw the attacker off balance and allow the assassin to instant kill. It would almost be like working combos into the fighting. (I do notice that while stealing a weapon, the assassin often kicks the guy first, but having it be activated consciously during a fight would be much more satisfying and would get the player thinking about fight strategy)

3. Counter attacks that cause damage. I found it really frustrating in battle that even when I dodged a hit and came back to strike, the enemies would block my counter attack! Attacking after a dodge should be a guaranteed hit. The enemy is in a vulnerable, exposed position, so why wouldn't my hit connect? Again, this would help make it more fun to strategize while fighting. Normally I rely heavily on the counter kill, which after a while can get boring.

4. Projectile poison. It would be great if you could poison at a distance-- for instance by combining poison + throwing knives. I found I never used the poison on guards because I could never get behind them (and the ones I COULD get behind I rarely needed to kill). It's almost impossible to successfully use poison while approaching a guard head on, so consequently I never used poison... despite really wanting to. It's an awesome idea for a weapon.

5. Kill animations get tedious in high pressure situations. When guards are vulnerable (or unaware) of the assassin, killing with the hidden blade triggers a kill animation. But it can be annoying to watch Ezio theatrically kill six or seven guards after, say, using a smoke bomb-- especially because the effect of the smoke bomb quickly wears off. The kill animation just wastes time. This is another point where some kind of melee attack would be great-- like a sword swing/hidden blade kill that clears out three vulnerable guys in one swipe.

6. A Sneak button. It would be great if there was a fast walking sneak button-- so you could quickly run up behind enemies without alerting them. Otherwise, it's either a high profile run or a low profile walk, the latter of which can be tedious.

Free Running:

7. No more pressing the O button to barrel through crowds. It would be great if you didn't have to press the O button when fast running to charge through crowds of people. Reaching for O is awkward and makes you lose speed, which is frustrating, not fun.

8. Stop allowing Ezio to run up walls that don't lead anywhere. Ezio should only be able to run up walls when there is something to grab onto. It's pretty frustrating to be holding X to run as fast as possible only to have Ezio mindlessly climb up a wall that leads nowhere... which unfortunately gives your pursuers enough time to catch up and begin their attack.

9. Triangle as the grab button and O as the release button. When doing a jump grab while already climbing a wall, at first I found it very frustrating that O is the grab button AS WELL AS the release button. It caused quite a few unnecessary falls. Switching the grab button to triangle while keeping the release at O would solve that problem.

10. A grappling hook/one time use parachute to break unintended falls. There were many, many times in AC2 where I accidentally jumped off of rooftops. Many, many times. It would be great if there was a grappling hook or some other tool that could help lessen a fall. Even small one time use parachutes-- anything to lessen the damage. It would also be interesting to see a grappling hook used to climb certain buildings.

11. Ezio should move even faster when climbing. The speed improvement in AC2 is noticeable over AC1, but I think the assassin should move even faster while climbing. It would guaranteed make the game more fun to play.

12. More NPC interaction. It would be great to see AC3 take some cues from Zelda in this department-- it would make the cities feel less like giant cloned mazes and the people feel less like herds of mindless cattle. Side quests that were not killing related and that got you optional but helpful new items would really add some more depth to the game.

That was everything that jumped out to me while playing this game for hours and hours on end. It is not just a game, it is a piece of art, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes fun, intelligent, historically-oriented video games. I would love to hear other people's suggestions about what would make the next one even more awesome. Thanks Ubisoft-- much respect to everyone who worked on AC1 and AC2. Please feel free to pass this around. Peace.

the amolang
01-28-2010, 01:51 AM
2. FRICK YES! I want to kick someone... SPARTA STYLE!!! lol, if you mean a front kick type thing where you push them back, definitely yes.

5. In the options menu you can change how often this is, I think there are five levels, and the default is four...

6. Yes and no, I don't think it would be needed, but there are times where it would be pretty epic. I like coming up from behind guards at a slow walk with my short blade, and pulling their head back and slitting their throats. It looks pretty epic, but they always are alerted right before it happens, which takes away from the stealth joy...

2. No, cause some people like running up these walls to wall jump backwards... like me (its quite useful in a chase sometimes...)

5. I don't know about this.... It might make it feel "faker", as it already is quite fast... (maybe have an adrenaline boost or something like that? you could activate it for a few seconds and it would speed you up?)

6. Sure, as long as its good interaction, not crappy stuff thats not useful...

EzioAssassin51
01-28-2010, 02:12 AM
These are my comments on your ideas which i think are really good!

Combat

1. Great idea but it shouldn't cause any damage

2. I agree with amolang with this one! GREAT idea! Something like in AC1 where sometimes you could push different buttons to finish off an enemy like X would break his legs etc.

3. I agree with this!

4. I think this is a great idea! It could replace the poison blade maybe?

5. Thanks amolang for that info!

6. I think this would be a great idea. Something Like Batman: Arkham Asylum where you crouched to move quickly, undetected, to silently take down your target!

Free Running:

1. I completely agree with this! It should be automatic for the ancestor to push the person out of the way.

2. I agree with amolang

3. I totally agree. Sometimes i frantically mash O to grab the ledge while falling and accidentally push it after i have grabbed which makes me fall again!

4. I think this would be a good idea but the hook can only be used on some buildings with certain things on the gutter used to pull yourself up! And you ditch the parachute after you've used it and you have to buy another one!

5. I agree but it might be less realistic!

6. I agree with you and amolang!

BK-110
01-28-2010, 05:17 AM
I agree on a lot, especially the sneaking button. But with somethings I gotta disagree.

Combat:

4. Projectile poison.

Not exactly disagreeing here, just wanted to comment on the poison blade. I like to use it for situations where the poison blade makes it a lot easier to get away undetected than using a low-profile hidden blade kill. So I find it quite useful at times.

Free Running:

7. No more pressing the O button to barrel through crowds.

I find it to be a good thing. Removing that element would just take more interaction out of it. I like how you end up stumbling if you just run through.

8. Stop allowing Ezio to run up walls that don't lead anywhere.

No, this should be there. You should think about where you run up. Besides, it makes it possible to reacher higher points as well as some other functions, like walljumping.

9. Triangle as the grab button and O as the release button.

The O button is not without a reason called the free-hand-button and I personally never have problems with it.

10. A grappling hook/one time use parachute to break unintended falls.

No, that just wouldn't be realistic and would take out the challenge of thinking about where you jump.

11. Ezio should move even faster when climbing.

No... Just NO! Already Ezio's current climbing speed is barely realistic. Even faster and it'd get ridiculous.

I agree on most of the other things, but these are just some which I don't like.

TwinIltani
01-28-2010, 05:33 AM
I agree with BK-110's assessment above.

Further - the Poison Blade is not there for Ezio to run up to someone and stab them in the eye with it. It's a stealth assassination method and it works 100% of the time either on subjects that are distracted, or when Ezio nips someone with it while blended. To me, it works precisely the way it's supposed to work.

Plus, find a side mission where the target is followed by a bodyguard and poison the latter. Oh, the amusement...

blankwell
01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd love to hear of a specific time when you were able to use poison for the purposes of a mission. Yes the poison can be used in general when walking by distracted people, but what's the point except for your own amusement?

Allowing the poison to be projectile would make it even MORE stealth.

Rompipalle1488
01-28-2010, 07:15 PM
When you accidentally push into someone you should be able to respond verbally.
Or have time to taunt them, or ask someone for help when being chased by guards.

averagejoe620
01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I think that UBI should add a multiplayer mode in which a group of assassins (people on XBL w/ AC2), should go on a guard hunt or something similar to the terrorist hunt in vegas 2.
Doing that w/ the abilities of an assassin would be sweet. Or maybe like a hit-and-run mode, where one dude robs a bunch of guys and then the other player acts as the getaway guy and rows off in a gondala as the escape vehicle.
I think UBI could come up with some great multiplayer modes involving tense situations, in addition to a group of assassins going around assassinating. It would be like spec ops in MW2, with poison and daggers.

Captain Tomatoz
01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
dont you think that adding alot of these would make the game easier than it already is

blankwell
01-29-2010, 12:51 AM
No, I don't. I think it would add depth. Especially the combat additions.

TwinIltani
01-29-2010, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by blankwell:
I'd love to hear of a specific time when you were able to use poison for the purposes of a mission.

Sure. Main memories - Come Out and Play - you can poison either Baroncelli or one of his bodyguards. Side memories - Caveat Emptor - easiest way to off the target with stealth.

blankwell
01-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Cool thanks-- I'm going to replay those missions with poison in mind.

Invalid_argh
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I agree with most of your suggestions, except the faster climbing. As BK said it's just unrealistic. I never used the poison blade, except once to see what it would do (it was funny but had no more advantage than the hidden blade). Projectile poison is a bit far fetched I think.

I think that the climbing should be more realistic. Like, some ledges and footholds should break under the pressure of Ezio/Altair/Desmond/the AC3 assassin, obviously not to the extent where it becomes annoying and not if that ledge or foothold is crucial to the scalability of the building. Also, I know that assassins are super cool and are meant to be strong and fast and all that, but if you're climbing or running for exceedingly long periods of time, Ezio/AC3 assassin should tire at least a little bit. It's more real and more challenging.

Also I would like to see more decapitation. I wanna see heads roll! The blood spurting is wonderful and the sound effects match it perfectly, but with some attacks (especially the counterattacks) I really expect an arm to fly off or a leg to drop off.

And our assassin should be able to use elements from his surroundings to beat the crap out of people, pick up a chair or a log or something.

But yeah, our assassins should absolutely get more badass karate moves.

(Is it just me who loves the fact that Ezio can swim?? Couldn't stand the last Acre mission in AC1.)

blankwell
02-05-2010, 11:45 PM
As far as projectile poison goes, I think it would be interesting to be able to combine them with the throwing knives-- that in itself isn't too far-fetched.

When it comes to faster climbing, I can see where you guys are coming from and why you would be apprehensive. Here's an alternative:

As it stands, climbing in Assassin's Creed 2 requires you to do one thing: press up. There's no inherent skill involved in climbing.

Imagine that you are latched onto a wall and in order to climb upwards, you would have to alternately rotate out and around with the thumb sticks in order to grab the next protruding brick or ledge.

But getting back specifically to speed-- what I find frustrating while climbing is, for instance, when Ezio is scaling a wall and must jump outward and up in order to grab a protruding ledge. Ezio pauses for a second before making the jump and it drives me crazy (especially if I'm being chased). So his average climbing speed IS adequate, I would just like to see small pauses like the one above eliminated. When the climbing is continuous I always find it more satisfying.

So what I'm getting at is either eliminate the pauses while climbing or add more interactivity to the climbing itself (similar to the jump grab move that you learn later in the game) and the parkour will be more fun.

but if you're climbing or running for exceedingly long periods of time, Ezio/AC3 assassin should tire at least a little bit. It's more real and more challenging.

I agree, that could add some more strategy to the game.

And our assassin should be able to use elements from his surroundings to beat the crap out of people, pick up a chair or a log or something.

Absolutely... throw pots at his pursuers or be able to knock things over to slow them down.

Like, some ledges and footholds should break under the pressure of Ezio/Altair/Desmond/the AC3 assassin, obviously not to the extent where it becomes annoying and not if that ledge or foothold is crucial to the scalability of the building.

I like that too!

zjc96
02-14-2010, 07:54 PM
(Is it just me who loves the fact that Ezio can swim?? Couldn't stand the last Acre mission in AC1.)
I know right it was so annoying getting knocked in the water

zjc96
02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Invalid_argh:
I think that the climbing should be more realistic. Like, some ledges and footholds should break under the pressure of Ezio/Altair/Desmond/the AC3 assassin, obviously not to the extent where it becomes annoying and not if that ledge or foothold is crucial to the scalability of the building.
it would get annoying the first time it happened and they found a way to make ledges invincible. happy?