PDA

View Full Version : P-51 vets little story....

EAGLE_34_WO
04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
I was watching the military channel today and saw a show on how the P-51 affected the war. Anyway, this P-51 vet said he actually shot a 109 up pretty bad and he had to bail. As the german jumped from the cockpit he actually saluted the P-51 pilot as he free fell right past him. Right after he saluted the US pilot he pull his ripcord. I just thought that was absolutely nuts to salute as you free fall right by the enemy plane!

3.JG51_BigBear
04-14-2005, 08:23 PM
There's always a touch of BS thrown into war stories, especially with pilots. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a little touch to make the story a little more interesting after 50 years.

blakduk
04-14-2005, 08:45 PM
EAGLE_34_WO-
I must have seen the same show some years ago. If i recall rightly he desribed in detail the blue uniform the LW pilot was wearing etc.
I tend to believe this story could easily be true. With the sorts of altitudes the combat took place in on the western front the guy would have had plenty of time to acknowledge the flyer who downed him- it may also have been a smart move, to make eye-contact with the guy who shot you down to decrease the chances he'd come back to finish you off in your 'chute.

HAMUSH-CRO
04-15-2005, 12:59 AM
it was on discovery wings - p -51 mustang.
i have it downloaded.
i watched it over and over again.
they have bud anderson, yaeger and others talking about their experiences.
great show.