PDA

View Full Version : Boycott B.O.B?

RiesenSchnauzer
12-18-2004, 01:43 AM
Just in general is there anything that would make you mad enough about the current engine and support which would cause you to completely boycott BOB in the future?

crazyivan1970
12-18-2004, 01:45 AM
Wha? This just totally completes my day... or is it night... or morning. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Viking-S
12-18-2004, 01:50 AM
No! On the contrary there is a lot in the present engine and the support of it that makes me want to pre order BoB.

Viking

Edit;
Review (http://www.firingsquad.com/games/pacific_fighters_review/)

John_Stag
12-18-2004, 01:53 AM
No.

Even though this sim is short of some features, and unfortunately it seems may be for some time. there's still nothing to touch it.

I don't think BoB is going to be inferior to what we have, so if you're going to boycott, go for it; you'll just be missing something good.

BaldieJr
12-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Part of me wants mod status so I can ban every poster with a hint of negativity.

Then the other part of me remembers that most of these new people don't share our mile-high view of this series and its long history.

So, I wont boycott anything. I may not play BoB (I don't want to upgrade my machine again), but that doesn't mean I will not buy it as a token of my appreciation of 1C/Maddox.

Hartford688
12-18-2004, 01:57 AM
Troll.

Go away.

XyZspineZyX
12-18-2004, 02:01 AM
I say we should all get together and boycott Grumman. That'll hurt 'em!

CPS_Shadow
12-18-2004, 02:04 AM
Nope. I love this game and 1C/Madox support of it has been far above anything else I've seen out their.

BaldieJr
12-18-2004, 02:05 AM
I hope thats not directed at me.

I guess I can come up with some petty thing to whine about, if thats what it takes to be one of the gang around here. I have to be honest with you though: My copy of the game is still great fun.

I vote we all boycott trees untill the forest is no longer hidden by them.

John_Stag
12-18-2004, 02:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I say we should all get together and boycott Grumman. That'll hurt 'em!

bif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I've already sent my TomcatÔ"×ó back.

VF-17_Jolly
12-18-2004, 02:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AgentBif:
I say we should all get together and boycott Grumman. That'll hurt 'em! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK so what do they make that i can afford not to buy (No more missile destroyers for me ) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hartford688
12-18-2004, 02:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not directed at you. ReisenSchnauzer.

John_Stag
12-18-2004, 02:10 AM
Did you just call him a ReisenSchnauzer?

Hartford688
12-18-2004, 02:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Stag:
Did you just call him a ReisenSchnauzer? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

Dam right. That'll teach him.

Papa_K
12-18-2004, 02:17 AM
The Question: How do you respond to this?

If...
On the one hand, you have the confirmed fan-boys who'll take any piece of flop that's handed them "In the name of the 1C".

If...
On the other hand, you have the complete idiots who don't recognize genuine effort to satisfy customers when they see it.

The answer? Boycott BoB?

Have you seen anything better out there? It's not perfect...far from it...but, have you run across a programmer that'll make the effort to add the amount of FREE add-ons you get with this series? Are you tired of it?

On the one hand, we're willing to accept "beta" material, and be warned about using it, but then forced to use it because it's the only update that's there, reinforced by a (non-beta?) dedicated server patch. On the other hand, we've grown to expect a total support effort, and a bit of perfection in it's day, and unwilling to accept anything less.

What is it you'd be boycotting?

Papa_K

Prof.Wizard
12-18-2004, 02:22 AM
Never boycott, just email the real guilty with a well-written educated letter of complain.

I've already did that! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RiesenSchnauzer
12-18-2004, 02:27 AM
This is not a troll thread. I think it will prove something if it goes on long enough.

crazyivan1970
12-18-2004, 02:32 AM
If you insist... Riesen... it might stay. I wasn`t sure if you enjoy people slamming you.. but what do i know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HotelBushranger
12-18-2004, 02:36 AM
bugger off. theres no need to boycott anything, no offense but in my opinion was a very sorta....immature thing to say/do. no need blokes.

cheers

Ruy Horta
12-18-2004, 02:42 AM
Well the signal this thread gives is actually PRETTY POSITIVE, but the method is not right.

1. THERE IS A LOT OF LIFE LEFT IN THE SERIES;

2. DON'T THROW ALL THE EGGS WITH BoB;

3. IF Ubi DOESN'T WANT TO CONTINUE, LET 1C, MADDOX, OR THIRD PARTY CONTINUE DEVELOPMENT

Personally I will buy BoB the first day it will hit the shelves, BUT as long as FB+AEP+PF+?? is competative I'd keep on buying "official" add ons which really expand the series (no mission/skin stuff, but new maps, aircraft and other objects).

Since my current rig still has to work to run this game at full settings (at least sometimes and with no water=3) it feels like there is at least 2-3 years left in the series.

So

YES TO BOB!!

but also

YES TO FB+AEP+PF+??+??+??...

t0n.
12-18-2004, 02:52 AM
I'll buy BoB. Hell, even though PF is the most useless Pacific simulator ever, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it all over again at full price.

IMO, in terms of entertainment bang per buck, nothing offers better value than this series.

Texas LongHorn
12-18-2004, 02:54 AM
Y'know guys, this could be settled quite easily and all parties could come out smelling like a rose. My lovely wife is an Attorney, and my Step Dad was too as well as a State Senator. The legal stuff is pretty well ingrained in my brain. I see it like this: If a company like Grumman holds an existing trademark (as I'm sure they do) all UBI has to do is put in LARGE letters on the box- "Officially Licensed Aircraft by Grumman" or some such thing and maybe pay a small licensing fee. Remember "Oleg and the Boys" are programmers, and darn good one s at that. They are not Attorneys who deal day in and out with minor details about trademark infringment. UBI should have taken care of that, it's their job, not the problem of the folks at 1C. The plus factor is that Grumman or whoever gets their name in lights on the box and everyone could potentially come out a winner. Pretty cool, Huh? All the best, LongHorn

HotelBushranger
12-18-2004, 02:58 AM
^^^ AMEN ^^^

Ruy Horta
12-18-2004, 03:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Texas LongHorn:
UBI should have taken care of that, it's their job, not the problem of the folks at 1C. The plus factor is that Grumman or whoever gets their name in lights on the box and everyone could potentially come out a winner. Pretty cool, Huh? All the best, LongHorn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEAR HEAR!!

Sounds more like someone didn't do a proper job and Ubi was called to attention.

I think that Northrop is not as bad a company as some are now proclaiming.

Plenty of examples to learn from, since I still see plenty of proprietary names in the model kit store, including those owned by Northrop, I think someone goofed and it AINT Northrop.

But I still think it is a storm in a glass of water, since in my room there are enough books on Northrop related objects that do not come with their approval.

IIt would be interesting to find out how much a licence fee would cost.

BTW the Devastator was made by Douglas.

actionhank1786
12-18-2004, 03:07 AM
I am currently in the process of boycotting my Mistubish Galant, because it isnt a million dollar "G-Unit"
Come on, if you can find a sim, that doesnt involve going into the future, that can beat Il-2 and Pacific Fighters, i'll give you a foot massage.
Yeah i'm laying dignity, and hygiene on the line here.
I wouldnt see the point in Boycotting BOB
actually i dont.
While we're at it
what the hell does IBTL mean?
I see it lots but never could figure it out

RiesenSchnauzer
12-18-2004, 03:08 AM
Ivan,
Let them slam away. This thread might just put the current "crisis" in perspective.

F19_Orheim
12-18-2004, 03:24 AM
how did you figure that Herr Schnauzer? Read your initial post time and time again to find any point in it... didn't find anything other than the word "inane"

Go and do the dishes intead or something...

DuxCorvan
12-18-2004, 03:45 AM
What are you smoking?

They'll have to tie me to avoid that I jump thru a window to buy it.

We'll fight for the last copies in the stores like elder women pulling and tossing the sleeves of a bargain in the budget section...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Peter_Fitzwell
12-18-2004, 04:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RiesenSchnauzer:
Just in general is there anything that would make you mad enough about the current engine and support which would cause you to completely boycott BOB in the future? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fight the power! Power to the people!

Ronin_3ra2004
12-18-2004, 04:43 AM
Personally I will buy BoB but.. dont plublish on UBI Oleg they dont like you
1st LockOn now PF thx UBI

JG11_BobCat
12-18-2004, 05:07 AM
Why isn't this kind of **** deleted?

BobCat

wintergoose
12-18-2004, 05:08 AM
Now way I will boycot the BOB
I love this game and 1C/Madox neee economical strenght to hold the IL2FB-PF alive as long as possible.
I am gladely paying for addons with new plans.
In my contry we allready pays a loyt more for the programs than you do in USA

Dunkelgrun
12-18-2004, 05:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RiesenSchnauzer:
Just in general is there anything that would make you mad enough about the current engine and support which would cause you to completely boycott BOB in the future? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By the time BoB is released I'll have forgotten whether I was going to boycott it or not. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Easy winner of the 'Bizarre Thread of the Day' award.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Ruy Horta
12-18-2004, 05:27 AM
Dunkelgr├╝n, but which RLM number?

Bearcat99
12-18-2004, 05:44 AM
At this ponmt I would buy any 1C sim sight unseen as long as OM & 1C were its developers and at full price.

AWL_Spinner
12-18-2004, 06:01 AM
Hear hear!

Hmm, I'd like to spite my face. I know, I'll cut off my nose.

Blah.

Cheers, Spinner

VMF223_Smitty
12-18-2004, 06:11 AM
This is not a troll thread. I think it will prove something if it goes on long enough. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It SURE proved something to me Riesen. Riesen = http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Hunter82
12-18-2004, 06:21 AM
I second that...and Mc Donalds too.... Mikey Moore says it's bad for us and he's the picture of health to help us with it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:

I guess I can come up with some petty thing to whine about, if thats what it takes to be one of the gang around here. I have to be honest with you though: My copy of the game is still great fun.

I vote we all boycott trees untill the forest is no longer hidden by them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kerosine18
12-18-2004, 06:27 AM
i am looking forward for BoB and for any future addons it might lead to like a MEDITERRANEAN addon (remember malta was an outpost of the british Navy)...hehe

forget copyrights and trademark issues ppl, these things are put second to forum ppl's opinion as at the end of the day we're the ones that get food on oleg's plate. poll to you ppl, if the planes didnt have trade names etc, would you throw away your copy?? naaaaa i would never, so what if the spitfire is called a firespitter, as long as i can paste aircraft to the floor with it, its all good!

on for gameplay.

alistair

Weather_Man
12-18-2004, 07:09 AM
Why the heck would I not buy BoB? I like flight sims. Maddox-made WWII flight sims especially. There is nothing lacking with support currently, in my mind. Oleg is doing all he possibly can. It wasn't his idea to not include certain planes for a certain reason we not know, certainly.

This business will all be forgotten by then anyway. It's nothing but a thing. One we have no control over to boot.

Dunkelgrun
12-18-2004, 07:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ruy Horta:
Dunkelgr├╝n, but which RLM number? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

71! And you're the first person in the two years that I've used the log-on to notice the missing umlaut http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif. Top marks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
(I didn't know how to get the ├╝ when I signed on - computer illiterate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif)
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Cheers!

VW-IceFire
12-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Absolutely no grounds for boycotting any flight sim products.

Regardless of past infractions...you purchase or do not purchase a product on your own grounds. There are none that would strictly prevent me from buying BOB. Unless for some reason the product was really terrible (like CFS3) and then I wouldn't.

ElAurens
12-18-2004, 08:37 AM
I assure you I will be pre ordering BoB as soon as it can be done.

If you look at the date I registered here you will see that in just over 1 week I will have been playing in the IL2 world for 3 years. Three years. In that time I have learned much about history, people, and friendships. I have had the good fortune to be able to speak with folks from all over the world. I have learned that history is not dead, but alive. (thankfully). I have learned more about computers than I ever wanted to... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

But mostly, I've had good fun, with a whole bunch of like minded people.

Of course I'll buy BoB.

Saburo_0
12-18-2004, 09:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Prof.Wizard:
Never boycott, just email the real guilty with a well-written educated letter of complain.

I've already did that! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually real letters are more effective.

RiesenSchnauzer
12-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Its funny to see how defensive people get when I never once suggested a boycott. I asked if anything would warrant a boycott of future products and the answers have been 100% no. So everybody on this forum is guaranteed to buy any flight sim product ubisoft and 1C Maddox do together.

DarkCanuck420
12-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Boycott, no. however as a newcomer to the series i have not seen too much thats promising. understandable the legal troubles but they probibily could have been avoided. if they abandon PF other newcomers my be turned away. I will check out BoB when it comes out and most likely buy it because even with the small problems with PF it is still a good game.
I have ordered FB/AEP that should hold me off till this blows over.

WildeSau
12-18-2004, 10:45 AM
boycotting BoB is certainly the wrong thing to do - we have to be as loud as possible so that the people concerned (UBIsoft and the US aicraft industry) hears us.

But why to punish 1C Maddox Games? BoB won't contain US planes anyway - or perhaps it was planed to inlcude one or two of them - but we can life without them good I think.

WildeSau

Hawggy
12-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Oh Yeah - BoB's as good as bought.

J30Vader
12-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Boycott Bob?????

OK. Just give me a list of the products that BoB sells and I'll consider it.

BuzzU
12-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Its funny to see how defensive people get when I never once suggested a boycott. I asked if anything would warrant a boycott of future products and the answers have been 100% no. So everybody on this forum is guaranteed to buy any flight sim product ubisoft and 1C Maddox do together. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In case you're not aware. All you did was troll. What was your motive? Why am I asking? Who cares?

Hawggy
12-18-2004, 11:53 AM
@ Vader -

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
12-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi,

Why boycott BoB? That just hurts yourself, others like you and 1C with the latter not having done anything wrong as far as I can tell (well, apart from the PR fiasco pertaining to PF's release)...

Let's face it, there's not a lot of hurt you can put Grumman's way unless you are a senior procurement person for the US government so I'd let it go.

Cheers,
Norris

HayateAce
12-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Boycott ANY sim by ANY company and you are just blowing a hole in your own boot.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

sithgod
12-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Boycott no. However I do view PF as a big mess at this point. If it should have been 3 discs then it should have been 3 discs. PF didn't seem ready for release but Ubi did it anyway. I know they are working on the patches which is great, but its kind of damage control. I will pick up BoB for sure as I will most if not all of 1C flight sim stuff. But I will wait a few days after its release to see if Ubi is doing anything funny.

It might just be a perception but it feels like Ubi isn't that interested in this series anymore.

RiesenSchnauzer
12-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Why can't people find a middle ground between blind fanboy and fickle customer? Personally I think Ubi and Oleg have been less than honest about PF. I don't even know if I believe that they are being blocked by large corporations. The add-on now has three official excuses for not coming out yet (disk space, sickness, licensing issues). My feeling is that the real excuse has to do with it not being done.

On the other hand, ubi and Oleg have taken good care of their fans in the past. I think that given enough time most of it will pan out. Besides, everybody here admits they will still by B.O.B. no matter what happens with PF so what exactly is the incentive for ubi to tow the line with diehard fans? I guess we are at their mercy. I sure as hell would not be trying to help them over some licensing blunder. That's not my job.

Metallicaner
12-18-2004, 04:09 PM
B.O.B will have a complete new game engine i tell ya, that's why they are re-modelling all of the planes!

-HH- Beebop
12-18-2004, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Papa_K:
The Question: How do you respond to this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My response to this is the same as General Anthony Clement McAuliffe during the Battle of the Bulge: "Nuts!"

steiner562
12-18-2004, 04:32 PM
[Q http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gifUOTE]Originally posted by RiesenSchnauzer:
Just in general is there anything that would make you mad enough about the current engine and support which would cause you to completely boycott BOB in the future?[/QUOTE]
You havent played microsoft flight sims have you?

JG301_nils
12-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Boycott?? never, IÔ┬┤m gonna buy it!
but.... I wonder what the other companies are up to nowadays. Tell me how many "new" sims has been developed after IL2 released? not many, I bet many of those guys are dugged deep back in their trenches, trying to overdo Oleg MaddoxÔ┬┤ master piece (BTW are one allowed to write names nowadays? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif or will I get sued?)
CFS3 doesnÔ┬┤t count. I guess a new level of simming will appear in near future, on FB/PF level or better.