PDA

View Full Version : Video Resolution

RV8PILOT
04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi gang, been running IL2 FB/AEP for a couple years and PF merged since it came out. Recently got a widescreen Gateway monitor and would like to run in its native res. of 1680 x 1050 as 1600 x 1200 is a little distorted. Is their a way to do this? No option in the sim but maybe a patch?

buzzsaw1939
04-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Hope you get an answer to this one, I was looking at wide screens, and asked the sales person how games looked on it, he said they all look great! a guy standing next to me heard that and told me that the game has to be set up for ws or it will stretch and look really bad. had to buy an expensive crt! and I've been told they are starting to faze them out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

grifter2u
04-11-2007, 10:44 PM
you can edit your ini file in the main il2 folder to enter the specific resolution of your widescreen monitor. the il2 video screen will than fit the whole screen, but it will have cut off a small strip at the top and bottom of the screen to make it fit the widescreen ratio. for some reason the way the game is coded it will only correctly fill a 4x3 screen (and a 5x4 maybe ?)

most widescreen users dont mind the minor loss in visibility at the bottom and top of the screen, and it probably wont matter for you either i suspect (partic if you are using a track ir)

Sooocool
04-11-2007, 11:14 PM
It worked for me.
Check this out;
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/4281009345

RV8PILOT
04-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Hey Buzzsaw1939, You a '39 model too? Cool
I would not call the image on my 20.1" Gateway (a nice monitor) bad, it is just a little distorted in the horizontal plane. Circles, like cowl openings, are not perfectly round but are pretty close. Its not objectionable really, but I also feel it might be sharper at native res.

RV8PILOT
04-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Just saw the other posts on this. Thanks gang, I'll give it a shot later and let you know. I'm a chicken about modifying the .ini file but what the hell.

RV8PILOT
04-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Hat's off to Sooocool for the link. Worked great. The selection pages come up with black bars on the sides narrowing the image, but the sim loads to full screen and I think the resolution is a little sharper (maybe). Thanks to all.
Go for it Buzzsaw1939.

buzzsaw1939
04-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Yup...I'm a 39 model, I actualy remember the big II, I lived near a naval air base, then joined when I was old enough, I remmeber sitting on a hill side watching f4u's practice crashing into the water, it probably contributed to why they stoped carrier ops tell near the end of the war, it took the english to figure out how to do it, it works in the sim too! I come into the carrier at a 45 degree angle on finale till the last minute, raising the seat position seems like cheating. did you build an rv8? being an old bush pilot, I'm building a 701 from scratch (cheaper) and designing an lsa. I'm glad someone knows how to do the screen res, It makes me feel better about getting a big flat panel. if you feel like chatting some time, PM me. maybe swap pics!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

RV8PILOT
04-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Buzzsaw, I lived in northern NJ and remember large flights of B-17s and fighters overhead. What a sound they made. I have been to Sun 'n Fun and Oshkosh and the overflights of warbirds brought it all back. I built all the structure and plumbing of an RV8 and started on the electrical bits but sold out my interest to my building partner. It has sat for close to 5 yrs now. Too bad. So it goes. I'm not familiar with the A/C you mention. Been away from the homebuilt scene for a while.
E-mail me at rv8pilot@bellsouth.net.

buzzsaw1939
04-12-2007, 02:56 PM
sounds like you still have an interest though, if I'm right, try eaa.org and catch up a little. The 701 is a 2 place stol, it's ugly, but well designed. the lsa is a new faa catagory,check it out at eaa. I'll send e-mail when I get a chance. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

RV8PILOT
04-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Ah, that's a L not a 1(LSA), and now I recall the Zenith 701 (thanks to eaa.org) I'm sure I've seen it at SNF. Looks like fun. Keep in touch.

MaxMhz
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by RV8PILOT:
Hi gang, been running IL2 FB/AEP for a couple years and PF merged since it came out. Recently got a widescreen Gateway monitor and would like to run in its native res. of 1680 x 1050 as 1600 x 1200 is a little distorted. Is their a way to do this? No option in the sim but maybe a
patch?

Yes there is.

Open conf.ini with notepad (in main game directory)

under the [window] header change
width=1680
height=1050

or to what you need, start the game with desktop set to native resolution,
under the same header set
SaveAspect=0
to get rid of black bars left and right.
set
ChangeScreenres=0
FullScreen=1
-------------------------
That should do it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">remember conf.ini is case-sensitive</span>
use "save" to save the altered file, not save as...!

MaxMhz
04-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by grifter2u:
you can edit your ini file in the main il2 folder to enter the specific resolution of your widescreen monitor. the il2 video screen will than fit the whole screen, but it will have cut off a small strip at the top and bottom of the screen to make it fit the widescreen ratio. for some reason the way the game is coded it will only correctly fill a 4x3 screen (and a 5x4 maybe ?)

most widescreen users dont mind the minor loss in visibility at the bottom and top of the screen, and it probably wont matter for you either i suspect (partic if you are using a track ir)

It will increase vertical field-of-view, but not horizontal field of view. In widescreen it will clip part of top and bottom of vertical VOF, but will not increase horixontal VOF. If you have a portrait -type monitor e.g. 1024x1280 it will increase the vertical view so you see from pedals to top-mounted mirror http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RV8PILOT
04-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks to all for the input. I was able to enable 1680 x 1050 and it looked good except the selection pages images were narrowed with black bars on each side, but ok top and bottom. The game itself fills the whole screen except when flying "out of cockpit". With the four instrument showing, the instruments and the arrows indicating the location of other A/C are pulled in horizontally to the same position as the edge of the black bars were in the selection pages. Weird. I guess there is a reason for this and if anybody has the fix please pass it on. Its so disconcerting I've gone back to 1600 x 1200 and put up with the slight horizontal distortion (not really much of a factor and the sharpness of the image seems to be the same in both resolutions). Also some A/C at a moderate distance sometimes don't show up at all even though they are in the frame.

RV8PILOT
04-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, guys, I guess I need to read things more closely. Must be my advanced age but I missed MaxMHz's first post. I'll try his mod to the conf.ini file and see if it clears up the oddities.

RV8PILOT
04-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Back again. Tried MaxMHz's fix but no change with the odd stuff mentioned earlier. Any ideas?

buzzsaw1939
04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
hello..........any body here??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I run the game 1680x1050 here are my settings:

[window]
width=1680
height=1050
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=1
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

Just copy and paste them over yours and it will work fine.

horseback
04-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Sounds like you're using what we call Wonder Woman (WW) view, RV8PILOT. Basically, the 'default 4:3 width' appears to be where the WW dials are going to be centered, and they can't be moved about like the minimap. Similarly, the menu screens aren't set up for the extra width of the picture, so they are left blank. It doesn't affect functionality, though.

Bear in mind that this game was originally developed back when CRTs were the norm, and a 19" monitor was 'big.' You still get your 'bonus' width in the widescreen setting at the price of a slight loss in vertical FOV, without distortion.

I find playing in WW view to be a bit disorienting in the widescreen formatting. You'll find that widescreen is really far more pleasing for the player who operates from the virtual cockpit.

Cycle through the CTRL+F1 keys a few times to see what I mean, at least while just flying around without enemy opposition present. Most of the important gauges are present in the cockpits, and are generally functional. It's pretty easy to get used to, in my opinion.

cheers

horseback

RV8PILOT
04-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Horseback, thanks for the input, I kinda figger'd I was having to live with "WW" (I like that) in 1680 x 1050. Running widescreen in 1600x1200 is ok 'tho, just a little horiz expansion, maybe less than 5%. Not really an issue, except I had hoped for image improvement in native res.
I plan to fly in virtual cockpit once I get my TrackIR4Pro this week. Its difficult when having to use the hat sw to change the view. I've had my *** shot out from under me many times 'cause I couldn't quickly see my six. Realisim is the keyword here after all, right?
Blue skies, all

horseback
04-17-2007, 04:04 PM
I suspect that you'll find that the distorted 'stretch' format you've opted for will have a negative effect on your gunnery, which is why I recommend staying with the widescreen format or going back to a standard format with black bars on the side.

TrackIR will help cover a multitude of sins. I've had it for a couple of years now, and I can't fly on my computer without it anymore. It's a big help to SA (situational awareness), once you get used to it. It took me a couple of days (I tended to throw my head back in triumph when I get someone in my sights...). It's a big help in looking around, but it won't do it for you. You still have to keep your head on a (virtual) swivel.

One of the problems in the game these days is that it was designed for best resolution at lower settings than the newer monitors will run at. Many players find that you will get better video running at 1024x768 at 32 bits than at the higher settings (some will maintain that anything higher than 800x600 is a handicap, but these are clearly Neanderthals). 1024x768 is a good compromise between performance and eye candy in the standard 8:6 format.

The fact is that my 26" LCDTV gives me a clearer picture of the game at 1280x720 at 32 bits (approximately the 'ideal' setting for widescreen) than my Viewsonic 22" widescreen which cranks out 1680x1050 at 32 bits. Not quite as pretty overall, but distant aircraft (over 4.5km away) are reduced to two or three pixels, and at 1280x720, the pixels are BIGGER than the ones crowded together at 1680x1050, and thus easier to discern.

The problem of some aircraft disappearing at medium ranges is well known; I think it's less of a problem if your video card and motherboard's drivers are up to date. You might want to check those items before throwing up your hands in disgust. Check the Community Help Forum if you have any problems, they're pretty good there.

cheers

horseback

RV8PILOT
04-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Horseback, thanks again for taking the time for your input and advice. I appreciate it and I'm sure that the others on this thread do too. I'll take a look at the mobo and card updates, although my setup is pretty clunky by any comparison as I am sharing my wife's pc which is pci and 1.8 GHz. Board is ATI 9250, 256k pci, so I can't expect miracles. I was only able to sell her on the monitor on the basis of getting two pages of text next to each other! I'll try some other res settings too and see what happens. I have not noticed an effect on my gunnery, but it may be so crappy that its below the radar.
Blue skies