PDA

View Full Version : Stick position and stick forces

The-Pizza-Man
09-09-2006, 01:07 AM
I know that Il-2 works on a max of 50lbs applied force to the virtual stick of the plane. What I want to know though is whether that just determines the maximum stick movement for a given speed or if it is only actually the force applied to the stick.

For example, at low speed a full 50lbs of force wouldn't be needed to fully deflect the control surfaces. So would my controls surfaces be fully deflected when my X-45 is full forward/back or at some stick position less than that.

FritzGryphon
09-09-2006, 01:13 AM
It seems to me that the deflection limit only applies when control force exeeds pilot strength.

Below that, your inputs equate directly to stick travel. You can test this when you're sitting on the runway, for example.

WWMaxGunz
09-09-2006, 07:36 AM
It is force-based not force-limited.
It is set up for feel of pressure.

Check the sensitivity sliders, they are for setting up resultant force.
Beyond that is also the working of the trim, center joystick is trimmed control position not
control at center. All joystick movements are force from trimmed position outward only.

Viper2005_
09-09-2006, 07:48 AM
I did some testing a while back by diving a Ta-152 from altitude whilst applying full aileron.

As speed builds up the aileron deflection decreases.

However, the stick in the cockpit stays hard-over.

It appears that the stick in cockpit moves in synchronisation with your real stick, whilst the control surfaces themselves move as a function of the FM.

What appears to happen is that when you deflect the stick you ask for a given control surface deflection.

The control surfaces move until either they reach the desired position or the back-force equals the maximum force available.

So, the system is displacement based and force limited.