PDA

View Full Version : lowengrin's il2dcg, how is it?

gmot_ka
11-18-2004, 02:41 AM
Hi,

i think some of you use Lowengrins il2dcg. How is it? Do you use it allways or do you use also the normal DGen?

elephant_il2
11-18-2004, 04:46 AM
I use it all the time and I can't wait for the
PF update.IMO is more dynamic than DGen and it's fully customisable too.

CSS_Hayzee
11-18-2004, 04:51 AM
same as elephant.....works great, more options than dgen....waitin for the pf update also!!

Breeze147
11-18-2004, 06:00 AM
Do you ever get the NO MAP FOUND bug in Lowengrin's DCG?

NorrisMcWhirter
11-18-2004, 06:12 AM
bump.

It's fab. That's how it is.

I, also, look forward to the PF release.

Cheers,
Norris

FlatSpinMan
11-18-2004, 08:03 AM
I want to use it but wasn't clear on how to install it. Does anyone have really simple, clear installation guides? I found the ones in the readme to be kind of unclear. Maybe just me.

Snuffy Smith
11-18-2004, 09:53 AM
I downloaded it, read all the info on it and all the posts, and researched it; but I never understood how it worked well enough to risk using it. It clearly is superior to the in-game Dgen from every report. My problem is like being in a dark room and not knowing were the light switch is--I'm afraid I'll just fumble around and end up breaking something.

IJG54Athlon
11-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi guys,
I have to say that Lowengrin's DCG program is awesome in my opinion. It adds so much to the game that I wouldn't know where to start explaining. I do know I love it especially for online campaigns. I even fly the online campaigns offline due to it keeping up with everything for you and not having to worry about getting killed and having to fly that mission over again. I think that it kills the emersion factor in the single player campaign that comes with the game. I do have to admit that once you get it set up, it takes a while to get a grip on how everything works and all the settings and what they do(it took me about 2 weeks and I'm still learning cool new things about it), but once you figure out how it works and what it does for the game, you will never go back to the ingame DGen or NGen(Ngen replacement being my favorite of cours). And what's best is if you don't understand something about the program, just go to www.lowengrin.com (http://www.lowengrin.com) and go to the forum and post a question, and Paul(Lowengrin) seems to answer you in a matter of minutes. They help you tremendously and once you post the question, it is answered very very quickly. Awesome support for the program.

pacettid
11-18-2004, 11:11 AM
"Lowengrin on 16 Nov : 23:09

Limiting testing is underway and it looks like all the major bugs have been crushed. So I'm aiming to have 3.00 posted in time for the weekend."

Just lifted this off Paul's website...ooorahhh!

And for Snuffy Smith: Go for it man, the worst you will have to do is reload the game, besides I learned 90 percent of what I know about computers from experimenting...take the plunge! Pauls app is easy to load and has excellent documentation so how can you go wrong? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sturmvogel66
11-18-2004, 11:36 AM
I swear by his DCG program. For many reasons, but the big ones are that everything is completely customizable, from then skins on each and every single plane, (AI too), adjustable cruise speed for AI so they no longer leave you in the dust with their warp speed powers, adjustable skill and amount of AI present. AND AN EVER PRESENT GROUND WAR!!!! Its quite possibly the best thing to happen to IL-2, the stock campaign is ****, no offense to Luthier, but I had the choice to use either the stock, or lowengrins DGEN, I would choose Lowengrins in a heart beat.

bird_brain
11-18-2004, 12:46 PM
I prefer DCG installed to replace the stock DGen as well. The options are readily customizable and it just seems a little less repetitive and sterile.

tttiger
11-18-2004, 01:06 PM
No computer-generated mission is a good as a really well designed hand-written mission but...

DCG is so far ahead of the in-game DGEN Campaigns (all written by Starshoy who put out BOE)there is no comparison. The DGEN and BOE missions contain glaring historical errors (don't get me started on this topic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.)

You won't have those historical errors with DCG because you can place the right squadrons with the right airplanes at the right airfields just as they were historically. For me, at least, that's a big plus. The history is the best part of the sim.

With DCG you can customize almost everything. Plane types. Skins. Weather. Mission types. You name it.

I never use DGEN campaigns at all.
And I gave away my copy of BOE.

That said, DCG can be a bit buggy. The "No Map" example above is typical. BUT you can get the map back. The fix is on the DCG forums (you have retype the mission date) and if you can't find it, just ask. Paul Lowengrin provides the world's best customer service...and DCG is free.

And the DCG campaigns are dynamic while the DGEN campaigns are linear. Once you get into a DCG campaign, the front lines no longer resemble what took place historically. Your success or failure helps determine the ebb and flow of the battle. The DGEN campaigns follow the historical path of the actual battle but you have no influence on the course of the campaign. I guess that's a matter of personal preference. Personally, I would like to see the customizing capability of DCG integrated with a more historical flow of the battle a la DGEN.

DCG can be frustrating for a new user because so many things can be customized and there are so many options. As DCG has evolved and become more complex, the learning curve has become sharper. Not everything is intuitive in DCG. But a little trial and error goes a long way with almost any software.

But hang in there. Ask questions on the DCG forum. You'll get prompt responses, usually solving your problem, usually directly from Paul. And if they don't, ask again.

Hope that helps. Just my opinion. It's free and worth what you paid for it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DCG isn't perfect but it is so much better than DGEN, it's a no-brainer for me.

ttt

GTO_68
11-18-2004, 02:20 PM
DCG will take some time to get the hang of, especially since Lo keeps adding to it. It can take a while just to figure out how to set it up and it has its bugs, but is well worth the effort.

gmot_ka
11-19-2004, 01:58 AM
So, no negativ opinion on the DCG? Ok, I installed it to and will experiment with it. A question allready: How mane flight's/squad do you use? Doeas it have a big impact on the framerate?

Thank you for you info.

csThor
11-19-2004, 03:47 AM
Just looking at the options and customizable things DCG is far more detailed than DGen, but on the other hand I tried it 4 times and deleted it after a while.

From my point of view the sh*tload of options is DCG's biggest advantage and also its biggest downside. The options are just far too complicated and IMO the menu navigation leaves much to be desired. A new user might/will be scared off by this - I know, I was. If Paul could re-design its GUI and use a more structured approach it would certainly help. In its current form I find the DCG GUI to be unuseable.

And btw ... the campaigns hold as many historical errors as those of DGen. Maybe it's just me (and I know I'm a nitpicking history bastard http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) but when I see III./JG 53 using Fw190s over Hungary in late 1944/early 1945 my toenails start to curl. *shudder*