PDA

View Full Version : Your personal guide to Italian!

Cjail
11-18-2009, 01:23 AM
In this thread I would like to answer to any of your questions/curiosities about the many Italian things (words, phrases, pronunciation, better translation, history, etc...) that you have encountered in the game.
This thread won't be a substitute to the information sources already in the game: if you want to know something but you don't know where to ask then here you can have an answer!

I will do my best but I will not "teach you how to curse"!

PS
I you like I can Private-message to you the answers.

Azugo
11-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Thankyou, mate! That's nice.

kleaneasy
11-18-2009, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Cjail:
I will do my best but I will not "teach you how to curse"!

I hope not given swearing on the boards isnt allowed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ACII_Addicted
11-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Just another fantastic thread of our Cjail mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I will surely come here on mondey after i have finished the game ... :P

ND-Arkie89
11-18-2009, 07:43 AM
20+ years ago I lived in Italy for a year while in college and I had to leard at least a small, basic communication amount of Italian. One minor issue that I have found so far with the game is the fact that the "English translations" of the dialog in the game use contractions. If you were actually translating Italian directly to English you would have phrases like "can not" not "can't" or "I will" not "I'll". I know that this is a very minor issue but it hurts the realism a bit for me.

Also, if I am not mistaken, isn't Ezio's name constantly mispronounced in the game? It is always pronounced like At-zeeo (like the way pizza is pronounced "peet-za"). I thought the only way to get the "tz" sound in Italian is by a "zz". Shouldn't his name be pronounced like "A-zeeo"? I hope that you understand what I mean. Again, it's a very small hting but it kind of hurts the "realism" for me.

So far, though,I have to say that I am really enjoying the game! I have been waiting for quite a while to make a "return trip" to beautiful Italia and this time I get to take my wife!!

ForsakenMessiah
11-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by ND-Arkie89:
Also, if I am not mistaken, isn't Ezio's name constantly mispronounced in the game? It is always pronounced like At-zeeo (like the way pizza is pronounced "peet-za"). I thought the only way to get the "tz" sound in Italian is by a "zz".

Not if the single z is inbetween 2 vowels, then you pronounce it "tz" like a double z (as in "grazie"), otherwise it is pronounced "dz" as it is not pronounced the same as in English

ND-Arkie89
11-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by ForsakenMessiah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ND-Arkie89:
Also, if I am not mistaken, isn't Ezio's name constantly mispronounced in the game? It is always pronounced like At-zeeo (like the way pizza is pronounced "peet-za"). I thought the only way to get the "tz" sound in Italian is by a "zz".

Not if the single z is inbetween 2 vowels, then you pronounce it "tz" like a double z (as in "grazie"), otherwise it is pronounced "dz" as it is not pronounced the same as in English </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doh! My bad! I completely forgot about the whole z between two vowels. What can I say, it's been over 20 years ago.

Thanks!

Cjail
11-20-2009, 12:46 AM
3 days have passed since the release of the game: any question/curiosity?