PDA

View Full Version : AI sixth sense and other questions

Mulleteer
02-05-2005, 05:42 AM
I've been playing a while and some things have started to puzzle me. So here are couple of questions.

Am I dreaming or does the AI somehow "know" when I'm pressing the trigger? There have been dozens of times I've missed because the AI plane has conviently breaked just at the second I'm pressing the trigger. I would expect it to break after it sees the tracers flying by or feel the hits. Of course sometimes AI planes just never break no matter what, I think this happens when it's in "hunt" mode tracking a bandit.

Speed generally. it seems that online some people manage to get more speed from their planes that I would expect to be possible. Sometimes it just happens that I can't outrun enemy for no obvious reason. For example I couldn't run away with 109 F-4 from P-40 or with 190 A-8 from some Zero A6M2. Does the radiators, bullet holes on wings etc. really have that big effect on plane speed? How about the engine temperature and the trimming?

Climb speed, is it so that planes have some kind of optimal climb speed so if you try to climb little bit steeper or shallower the net effect is negative? At least the AI seems to be one climb monkey no matter what plane. This just wonders me as I'm usually not able to outclimb my opponents online.

While zooming down on opponent it usually happens that bandit makes small maneuver and throws my aim off a little. When I compensate carefully the plane sometimes makes wide jerk, it it how it should behave or could there be something wrong with my joystick profile? Is it engine torque?

When flying without cockpit I often see that the pipper (where nose is pointing) and the floating ball (where plane is going) are not aligned vertically, but the ball is one width on right of pipper. Is this correct? Did propeller driven planes fly right side first?

Thanks

Mulleteer
02-05-2005, 05:42 AM
I've been playing a while and some things have started to puzzle me. So here are couple of questions.

Am I dreaming or does the AI somehow "know" when I'm pressing the trigger? There have been dozens of times I've missed because the AI plane has conviently breaked just at the second I'm pressing the trigger. I would expect it to break after it sees the tracers flying by or feel the hits. Of course sometimes AI planes just never break no matter what, I think this happens when it's in "hunt" mode tracking a bandit.

Speed generally. it seems that online some people manage to get more speed from their planes that I would expect to be possible. Sometimes it just happens that I can't outrun enemy for no obvious reason. For example I couldn't run away with 109 F-4 from P-40 or with 190 A-8 from some Zero A6M2. Does the radiators, bullet holes on wings etc. really have that big effect on plane speed? How about the engine temperature and the trimming?

Climb speed, is it so that planes have some kind of optimal climb speed so if you try to climb little bit steeper or shallower the net effect is negative? At least the AI seems to be one climb monkey no matter what plane. This just wonders me as I'm usually not able to outclimb my opponents online.

While zooming down on opponent it usually happens that bandit makes small maneuver and throws my aim off a little. When I compensate carefully the plane sometimes makes wide jerk, it it how it should behave or could there be something wrong with my joystick profile? Is it engine torque?

When flying without cockpit I often see that the pipper (where nose is pointing) and the floating ball (where plane is going) are not aligned vertically, but the ball is one width on right of pipper. Is this correct? Did propeller driven planes fly right side first?

Thanks

FF_Trozaka
02-05-2005, 06:52 AM
hi
AI planes are supernatural, they see thru clouds and have a simplified flight model and get away with a lot of stuff that human piloted planes can't .

Most of the other problems you mention you can probably improve by "trimming" out your aircraft. Trim, radiator settings, having cockpit open..etc. do have an effect on how your plane will handle. Proper use of prop pitch and WEP will help you also. Do a little research on these and give em a try.
S!

JRJacobs
02-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Couple of things
"Am I dreaming or does the AI somehow "know" when I'm pressing the trigger" - No
i have a dog.... he's the most intelligent animal i've ever met. he's SO SMART i sometime stop thinking he's a smart dog and think he's a dumb human. [ now rocky, why did you leave your toy at the bottom of the steps human: dumb idea, dog: because that's where he slept].

you have to remember that the game is not real it's lines of code. the AI doesn't see you, he doesn't hear you, he just dumb code. in an effort to make he SEEM smart the programmers have set up a lot of probability code. if you're within x meters of AI then there's a 67% probability the AIs code will enable the line of code that says AIEvadeAndAttack=true and I'm sure the level you set the AIs at [rookie, veteran, ace] change the number.

Also as the games is modeling ALL the physics of your plane, your direction your speed, your changing mass [fuel], your drag and drag location, ALL the terrain, the clouds, the sky, ALL the other planes, ALL the objects and vehicles, ALL the bullet, missiles, and bombs in the air and their direction, speed, and drag, ALL.... well you get the picture... your computer is computing tens or hundreds of thousand of changing variables at once and trying to be able to, or have the ability to send this information via a 56k modem because of ALL this the AI subroutines are fed a simplified flight model FM. if he flew the same FM as you they might be able to put 36 planes total INCLUDING AI planes in the air. so if it seems like the AI can fly in a way that defies physics, well he can't but he only has to follow SIMPLIFIED physic... his physics let him do things, you physic don't.

"Speed generally"
from the early days of the game this seemed a problem. but the answers were that
they had less weight [50% fuel vs 100%, or gun vs gun and missile],
they had less drag [clean vs drop tanks] - under this category twist throttles are notorious for allowing you to bend your wrist without you being aware of it... remember that a rudder works by DRAG, a tiny little bit of constant rudder slows down the plane.
they had more pull [they were using prop pitch to get more bite - all planes have a sweet spot and if you can get to this you get more]
they had less load [you were climbing at 5m/sec and they're climbing at 2m/sec]
they had a faster computer [http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif LOL kidding here]

"Climb speed"
see the above... in civilian aircraft there is usually a green band on the RPM and Manifold gages. you throttle back until your manifold [how much air you're sucking in] is in the green and then you adjust prop pitch until you RPM is in the green. - in military aircraft you need to find a manual online that will list the manifolds and rpm for optimal climb rate - just remember this is a SLOW climb process. most war books don't tell you pilots spent 45 minutes just getting to altitude before a battle.

"While zooming down"
probably not - plane reactions speed up as the plane speeds up... a lot control surface movement does little at slow speeds but a little control surface movement does a lot at faster [zooming down] speed. having said that, many of us are HAM fisted and do not finesse our stick and particularly our rudder, especially without much more than a tiny springs,feedback pressure. Many WWII pilots talk about their input forces being high enough to wear them out - who here flies with their sticks that strong? to help you can adjust your stick setting so the inputs near the center have less effect than ones further from center but you need to talk to people who've done that, i don't

When flying without cockpit
WHAT doesn't the wind in your face sting???
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
actually you looking at a non-real [WWII fighter] sight ring here. in the latest version it includes a CCIP [Constantly Computed Impact Point] pipper - this is something modern fighter employ - it designed to give you an IDEA of were your bullets would strike at the distance of convergence of your guns while turning - as a simplified example if you are following a plane in a right hand turn that is taking no evasive action and he is at the default convergence distance of 500m and you put your cross hair on the middle of him and pull the trigger
[I'm going to start making up numbers to simplify things] it will take your bullets 5 seconds to get to the spot he was when you pulled the trigger, but in that 5 seconds he's moved 5m in his turn. your bullets will miss behind him. to hit him you must therefore aim 5m in front of him then your bullets and his plane will intersect at the same spot at the same time. the CCIP constantly computes the impact point, hence its name. for your gun convergence it displays where the bullets will be in the time it takes them to travel your convergence distance [default 500m]. if the pipper is on the turning plane and nothing else changes, when the bullets get to him they impact that point.
your description tells me you may bend your wrist without you being aware of it.

enough of my time on answers, lots here and i've done my part welcome to the game