PDA

View Full Version : OT - Hitler speaks ...This time unofficial and privately ! / (Photos added !)

Celeon999
01-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Surely everyone of you heard audio footages of Hitler speeches at some point.

But have you ever heard Hitler having a normal private conversation ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

This recording of a private conversation between Adolf Hitler and General Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim , leader of Finland was discovered a few years back and is propably the only one of its kind that exists.

Hitler speaks to Mannerheim during a visit to Finland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Xf3l7RjBk&feature=related)

It was secretly recorded by a finnish radio technician who had his workplace in a telephone room next door.

What he did was of course forbidden but as he was in no danger of being caught and very curios he used his technical possibilities to listen to a conversation and even recorded it.

Note how Hitler's renowned "rolling r" misses which he only put on for his speeches. One can also hear tiny bits of his bavarian dialect coming through at some points although he supresses it for most of the time.

Exactly fitting to what everyone Hitler ever spoke to described, the "conversation" played out as one big monologue in which Hitler speaks and his conversation partners listen. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

This first part of the whole recording is still rather formal as it is part of Hitler's congratulations to Mannerheim's birthday.

The recording is of course not of the best quality and Hitler's voice becomes a bit quiet at some points so its hard but nonetheless i did my best to write down a translated transcript :
-----------------------------------------------

"Years ago, i had the idea to travel to Finland, if possible, fully icognito. Not alone for getting to know the country but mostly to visit the great Olympic Games of which i believed that they would take place in ...*thinks for a moment* ..Helsinki"

*He refers to the Olympic Summer Games of 1940 which were to take place in Finland and Japan but were cancelled because of the second world war*

"Just a few years before, i admired the finnish team in Berlin and , furthermore , knew your freedom fighters and also knew the name of the Marshall from the time of the world .... the time of the ending of the world war."

*With "the name of the Marshall" he was refering to his conversation partner. He uses the third person all the time to underline the importance of the title as form of courtesy*

"Back then, i never dreamed that destiny would once lead me to Finland under these circumstances"

"The war .. in which we both now stand together, was neither foreseen in Germany itself nor, i have to express that, was prepared there"

"If we could have imagined the possibility of this war as it is, our preparations would had been much more thorough , better, proper and practical"

"We .... may have thought of the possibility of a dispute within Europe ......that if certain states would be bent on a perpetuation of the Versaille contract .....But i had the strong hope that i would be possible , by ....the power of reason and the insight that... impossible conditions can impossibly remain ... that it could be accomplished by that to bring about peace"

"I had planned a very large social program.... i myself rose from my people under very difficult circumstances ... i had no other goal in my life than to conduct a very large social program and also an additional very large cultural program"

"I dedicated myself to that" "The ..... if im allowed to say that , providence assigned things differently now and ... when the necessity to call to arms for the freedom of my own people arose, i was happy that providence determined me to take the necessary steps"

"The progress of the political situation first made it possible for the German side to face the impending danger by June of 1940.......and to come to respective decisions"

"Out of this decision .. the step was made of which i not just do not bereave that ive made it but am also happy about that i made it"

"Because the battle that now lies behind us and the one that is still ahead of us has shown in what danger entire Europe was"

"Maybe .....if i had known about the extent of the preparations of bolshevism against Europe , the decision would had been harder"

"I surely would have made it *the decision* ...because i rank myself among the men which do not try to evade clearly foreseeable dangers but who face them head on and take all the connected distress and concern on their shoulders"

"Especially not to pass on to future generations what has do be done at some point anyway"

"Today, now that i know how infinitely large the threat was, i am happy that providence made me find the strength and insight required to make this decision"

"This decision now brought the german and finnish people together a second time ... in a battle against the same enemy"

"Yet , the first mutual battle in which for the first time the great ..*cannot understand that* has used his great ....personality to put himself out for the finnish people"

"Yet this first battle has created bonds which were of a permanent nature"

"The second battle, i am convinced of that, will even strengthen these bonds for all times"

"Because we cannot get around one insight ..whatever this victory ..and there cannot be a peace without a victory..there will be a victory ..whatever this victory will look like ..the danger in the east , of course, will remain ..ever lurking"

"And i believe that in the distant future ..a wide range of european countries have a common interest to watch this threat with a vigilant eye and .. if necessary.. to face it with vigilant and seeing eye"

"So i have been selected by providence to become , not just the leader of the german people but also the leader of the Wehrmacht"

"In my capacity as such , i am happy to congratulate the Marshal of Finland today"

"In the name of, not just myself , but also of all german soldiers, which all have a real admiration for their finnish comerades"

"It is so easy for one to speak of friendship with the finnish army if one has so brave allies as they are...to know such a brave people at his side"

"Furthermore i speak in the name of the german people because we ourselves now have a military of the people... Germany is a people's state , for us military and people are one"

"The whole german people think in this moment just as what i am saying here"

"It admires the finnish soldiers, it admires the finnish people and it also admires the Marshal"

"From the bottom of my heart, on occasion of your 75th birthday , i deliver to you the congratulations of the whole german people, its Wehrmacht and my own ones" "Let me also thank you for the hospitality myself and my comerades have enjoyed here"

"At last, please let me also speak out the wish, that your country but also we ourselves and our common cause will still have you with us for a very long time to come"

*It seems that everybody stands up at that point and Hitler either moves further away from the microphone or speaks more quietly as everything gets now less formal and things get really hard to understand from here on as there are now sounds of coffee cups etc. causing problems*

"Let me express my regrets over the fact that we were unable to help the finnish people in their first fight for freedom two years ago"

"It was not possible as we were bound in the west and a two-fronts war is never doable"

"But im very happy that we now, for the second and as i hope for the last time, fight a war against a enemy that would , if he would be victorious, would achive not a victory in the classical sense but would **** our two countries and ******" *too silent sorry*

"I know of the great sacrifices Finland has to endure in this battle, i can assure you that the german people , may come whatever comes, will stand behind the finnish people, absolutely reliable and steady as rock and that our mutual war goals will be pursued whatever may come"

*I do not understand the last seconds that follow now except for certain passages like : * - "in 15 to 20 years" - "to be or not to be" - "your people will look back" - "hope that you will have the luck to witness that time"

There are two more parts, each around 10 minutes long and if you want i could translate the rest for you. Just let me know http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I havent listen through it all yet but it seems the really informal and private part is yet to come.

Messervy
01-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Now this is very interesting as all we ever hear from him is shouting - great find !!!

bunkerratt
01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
wow..very interesting...i agree differant than the shouting http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

gamer025
01-30-2010, 03:49 PM
There's a large Finnish community where I live. They make great food, especially pancakes mmmmmm!

HeavyRabbit
01-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Interesting stuff, especially the video which accompanies the audio.

I don't understand German, so I had to read the translation so gratiously supplied by Celeon999.

I have a hardcover book by Liddell Hart (renowned British soldier and military historian/theorist), entitled: "The Red Army", which chronicled them from 1918-1955.

There are two chapters on the "Russo-Finnish War", which commenced in 1939: one from the Finnish perspective, and one from the Russian perspective.

I find it fascinating how the Finns held their ground, for the most part, against seemingly overwhelming Soviet odds.

They certainly knew how to use terrain, to their utmost advantage.

I used to have a drinking buddy at a bar I hung out at, who was a Finnish Army Vet, during WWII.

He was a NYC cabbie, and always wore a camouflage winter coat. Frankly, I don't think he ever left that battlefield.

He told me how the Finns, who are famous for their long knives, as well as their ski troops, btw, would sneak across the frozen Baltic, and wreak havoc on Soviet positions outside of Leningrad.

Apparently, and according to him, the Soviet Army was terrified of them, and for very good reason, supposedly.

Celeon999
01-31-2010, 03:32 AM
Ok here comes the second part and its starts with a hard to understand comment by Hitler.

Hitler and Mannerheim speak about Russia, France and german equipment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AemGedeMFd4&feature=related)

"Well,....a very big threat ...maybe the greatest..which's magnitude we can only concieve now"

"We ourselves did not knew it so well either ...how enormously strong <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*the east ?* </span> was"

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW"> *Now Mannerheim answers for the first time. In very good german by the way*</span>

Mannerheim : "We had no idea....during the winter war we had no idea..."

"Of course we assumed that they were well armed ...but the reality....and now there is no doubt to what they had at their disposal"

Hitler : "Exactly..."

"They have the most tremendous scale of arms manufacturing which can be conceived by man"

"If someone would have told me that a state ... <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*very long pause*</span> "

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*This may be the moment when Mannerheim lit up a cigar leaving everyone else in the room in awe as nobody ever dared to smoke in the presence of Hitler who was a strict non-smoker*</span>

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW"> *he repeats* </span>

"If someone would have told me that a state can bring 35.000 tanks to the battlefield, i would have told him that he must have become insane to claim something like that"

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*Hitler really uses the word Tank here instead of Panzer. Panzer was a rather new word and so far Tank had been used as it was the official english name for their invention. Using both terms was common at that time.

Today, things are a bit different and Tank is only used when refering to the models of ww1. Everything that came afterwards is now a Panzer for us.

Just like there are no submarines but instead only uboats for us. We never bought into Churchill's hair splitting anyway http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
</span>

Mannerheim : "35.000 ?"

Hitler : "35.000 Panzer" <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*See ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif * </span>

"Up until this point, we now have destroyed around 34.000 Panzer"

"If someone would have told me that,.....if one of my generals would have claimed that there is a state which possesses 35.000 Panzer i would have said...you sir ...you have double or tenfold vision ... you see ghosts or something"

"I did not believe that this is possible"

"They told me .. We have found factories .. for instance one in Russkaja , that was two years ago and we had no idea .. Today there is a factory that was supposed to employ 30.000 workers at first and later when completed 60.000 workers"

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW"> *Russkaja is the name of a river and maybe also a city somewhere in Ukraine*</span>

"60.000 workers in one single tank factory"

"One single factory .....we've captured it and... one single gigantic factory with masses of workers that were ,on the other hand, supposed to live like animals there"

Mannerheim : "The Donez area ?"

Hitler : "The Donez area"

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*The Donez is river in south West Russia and eastern Ukraine*</span>

Mannerheim : "Yes... when one considers that they had 20 years .... over 20 years, almost 25 years to arm themselves ..and all the money put into arms ..only arms"

Hitler : "****** ...**** Mr. President.... I had no idea, if had known it it would had been harder for me but i would had made the decision more than ever"

"Because there was no other option anyway"

"I was already resolute during the winter 1939/1940 that we had to go towards Russia"

"I was just of the opinion that a two-fronts war was ***** we would break under this"

"Today we see this more clearly than we did back then"

"Actually i planned to carry out the western campaign already in autumn of 39"

"If it wasnt for this ongoing bad weather we had"

"Our whole armament ...well it is a nice-weather armament...its powerful, its good, but it is a nice-weather armament"

"You can see it in this war..our whole armament was designed for the west and we all had the opinion....well this simply was our opinion ..that one cannot wage war during wintertime"

"Also , the german Panzer were not tested for making them winter suitable but instead test drives were made to proof that it is impossible to wage war in the winter"

"It was a totally different equipment back then"

"In autumn of 1939 we all faced one question ,... and i certainly wanted to attack all the time and was convinced that we could cope with France in six weeks"

"But we faced the question , can one move ?"

"And now there was constantly bad weather and i myself knew the french territory very well ... and i couldn't ignore the opinion of my generals that we possibly would not be able to get things moving as we wanted"

"That we could not make full use of the Panzer weapon , that we could not make full use of the Luftwaffe on the provisoric airfields because of the rain"

"I knew France, i was a soldier in the great war for four years .. and thats how this delay happened"

"If i had finished off France by 39 , the history of the world would have developed differently"

"So i had to wait until May of 1940 ... the 10th of May was the first nice day"

"On May 10. i immidiately attacked"

"I gave the order on May 8. and the attack started on 10."

"Then this giant restructuring of our divisions from west towards the east to be done and then we also had this task in Norway on the way"

"About the same time this great disaster came upon us .. these ..weaknesses that had developed in Italy , primarily this situation in Africa and secondly .. <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*this part is sadly missing*</span>

Ok i need a little pause now. Part three to follow later on http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Celeon999
01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
And the last part :

Hitler speaks about, Romania, oil , Russia and Molotow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiHoHn6umvU&feature=related)

Hitler : "A huge disaster"

"Now we had to help"

"For us , this meant a sudden tearing apart of our Luftwaffe and our Panzer forces"

"Our Panzer forces were in process of being readied for the east and suddenly we had two take out two Panzer divisions...two huge divisions... and we also had to fill in for huge losses"

"Bloody battles had been fought there in the desert"

"And of course all this was later missing in the east"

"******** the decision that was clearly to be made ********* and later in Ukraine and elsewhere*******Molotov" <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*sorry he gets just to quiet there*</span>

"Molotov left with the decision to begin the war and i was resolute to forestall him*

"Because the demands he presented to us had clearly the goal to rule over Europe"

"I told him that ......**** *rediculous ?* *****and he replied **********" * <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*Almost whispering to Mannerheim here*</span>

"Already in autumn of...19.., 19.. ,1940 .. , we asked ourselves questions shall one chance a rupture of relations .... back then i always suggested to the finnish government to negotiate to gain more time ....because i always had the fear that at some point in late autumn , Russia would suddenly invade Romania"

"Putting their hands on the petroleum fields"

"And by late autumn of 1940 we would not had been ready yet"

"When Russia would had occupied the Romanian petroleum fields at that point , Germany would had been lost"

"With 60 russian divisions this would had been a achievable thing"

"We had no further units in Romania at that point ...the romanian government turned rather late to us .. and what we had there would had been rediculous ... they just had to take those petroleum field"

"I was not able to begin a war with our weapons in September or October ...that would had been impossible ...neither were our preparations in the east so advanced ..the units in the west had to be consolidated first ....the weapons had to be brought back in order... afterall we suffered losses in the west .... it would had been impossible to attack before spring of 1941"

"And if the russians would have invaded Romania at some point in autumn of 1940 and would had got themselves those petroleum fields then we would had been helpless"

"We have a large fuel production in Germany but what the Luftwaffe guzzles , what our Panzer division guzzle.... that is something tremendous"

"A fuel consumption that blows all imagination"

"Without the additional 4 to 5 million tons of romanian oil we could not carry out this war"

"And that was a great worry of mine , thats why i strived for negotiations to bridge that time required to grow strong enough to counter these aggressive demands"

"The demands were pure blackmail and the russians knew that we were bound in the west and could virtually blackmail anything out of us"

"And first with the visit by Molotov ...i told him ....***************** totally unacceptable" <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">*too quiet*</span>

"And with that the negotiations ended abruptly.....regarding Europe....regarding Finland ....what he called the finnish threat ..and i asked him what do you mean with the finnish threat and......he spoke about how Finland threatens the friends of the Soviet Union and that a superpower could not let itself be threatened by a small country like Finland and ......i asked how can Finland be a threat to you ?"

"And he continued like how there would also be something like a moral threat to a great power and that what Finland does is a such a form of moral threat to their existence.."

"And so i told him that we could not watch yet another war in the east as passive audience"

"He also asked what our position towards Romania was... we had issued a guarantee to Romania and he wanted to know wether this guarantee was targeted at Russia"

"So i said , well i dont think that this is aimed at Russia because you surely wont have the intention to invade Romania"

"Because i never heard that you have such an intention"

"But he demanded a precise answer wether this guarantee is aimed at Russia and ........"

Sadly it ends here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

There must be more but at least this is the last file. I will sent the owner of the account an email to ask wether he is in possession of the rest.

Messervy
01-31-2010, 12:28 PM
This is a very good first hand insight at how Hitler saw things.

Thanks for your effort to share this with us. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Celeon999
01-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Messervy:
This is a very good first hand insight at how Hitler saw things.

Thanks for your effort to share this with us. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Indeed !

The question is how much of what he tells Mannerheim is the truth.

To me ,the most interesting parts are his honest opinion about the superior industrial mass production capacity of the Soviet Union and the lack of all-weather capabilities of the german tanks.

Something he would never have admitted in public for logical reasons. And with public i mean even the presence of certain persons in his staff.

He propably was only so open and honest in presence of a handful of people he trusted or liked enough for that.

Seems that he was not nearly as ignorant of these facts and dillusional as some historians try to portray him.

Thats propably because of exactly that, a lack of insight into Hitler's private side.

All historians define him by his public self , his speeches, the things he has written down the things thirds report about him but except for this rare document they dont have any real insights into the real non-public Hitler.

Here he did not have to watch what he says. He could speak openly and honest about whatever came into his mind at that moment. You cannot claim to know one when you've never experienced him on this personal and normal level.

His little insider smalltalk about his negotiations with Vyacheslav Molotov are highly interesting.

One can now argue about wether he was lying about the agressive stance of the soviet union in the negotiations or if he was saying the truth and the SU had indeed a much more active role in the escalation of ww2 than history books admit because of a lack of proofs plus intended white-washing by the russian side.

nelson92506
02-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Thank you very much for this translation Celeon. Your translation provided more useful and revealing information than any other that I can remember. Political Correctness usually demands that we are only allowed to see and hear small snipets of Hitler making bellicose speeches. It is extremely rare to have any translation provided. I have seen more translations of Hugo Chavez' speeches than of Hitlers.

VONHARRIS
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
This is trully amazing Celeon999. I heared all three parts and although I can speak German I needed your translation some times. Thank you! This is something you will NOT find in history books!

janek73
02-03-2010, 12:09 PM
This is the reason I am still visiting SH3 forum. Very interesting post, Thanks Celeron666 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Celeon999
02-04-2010, 02:18 AM
My pleasure gentlemen http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Took me a while to answer as the telephone company decided to break my DSL line for some reason and then took more than two days to repair it again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Sadly it seems that this is indeed all that exists. I could not find out why it was stopped so early.

But i have found some background information on recording of the tape itself :

It was recorded on June 4, 1942 inside a train wagon near the russian border where Hitler met Mannerheim to congratulate to him his 75th birthday.

It was recorded by Thor Damen a sound engineer working for a finnish radiostation which was covering the birthday festivities.

He placed a hidden microphone somewhere in the dining wagon and wired it with the telephone room for the press.

The Gestapo somehow found out about the tape and arrested him later on.

After the some well placed death threats he destroyed a tape of which he succesfully convinced the Gestapo that it was the orignal and was so set free again.

The original tape was rediscovered in the archives of the radiostation in 2004.

Here you watch a newsreel that covers Hitler's visit to Mannerheim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrW0VgF5iWc)

You can see the train where the tape was recorded aswell.

Celeon999
02-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Interested in some more recently redicovered material from ww2 ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

By chance , german newsmagazine Der Spiegel published an article with recently re-discovered photos taken by a yet unknown crewmember of a Focke Wulf 189 recon plane on the eastern front.

Propably the pilot

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/46/93d2498ad711ddbbbafafb2f1046ad3f_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

Pilot and seven other unidentified soldiers on a group photo

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/45/4aa9d3a9485e921e72d9c0269f379668_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

The city center of Charkov, the second largest city in Ukraine

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/35/6048a6d004bc51ae3b1c6c74e8afb8b9_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

The Dserschinski Square in Charkov with Stalinistic architecture. The city was occupied in October 1941.

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/40/82f1049417aee7fcbd4c68f7d658d27b_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

Soviet POWs staging area surrounded by provisoric wire entanglement.

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/42/fb35589de031a680d1ac5e922627e11f_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

Another staging area with POWs in formation. Propably shortly before being marched to a temporary POW camp.

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/32/006bedf58ed9a2ca8c833cf6f77574c8_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

POWs marching down a road

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/41/9e585653310347044fa315bc4ebfd285_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

Unknown airfield. Cannot recognize the type of airplanes. Could be a conquered airstrip.

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/30/fa3dde2e12c1c96beab1d3db29f8c8c9_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

Bombed or shelled buildings with artillery pieces near the road in the foreground.

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/43/9c7fd967645aacb59ebc8d1f6ccc02b4_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

Unknown soldier with a camera gets photographed himself.

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/04/63/80a51541b74f4103683d40edfd66c6b3_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

Tail-gunner position of FW 189

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/49/b0fc5cc0cf23c669919f49f8917afff2_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/50/515b2c4b859350f8229f6f37de20233e_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

Recon Observer looks at camera

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/44/4638eab187d312fc3afd08c97fec104c_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

Crewmember with parachute looks out of plane

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/29/3da0f29428b0e30fe7c4398ad5178b76_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

Pilot sitting in full glass cockpit

http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2010/02/02/39/d2d268e88ab6bce28fce018b2095046c_image_document_la rge_featured_borderless.jpg

A Focke Wulf 189 recon plane. (Added by me)

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/81/fw1891.jpg

DritteNordland
02-05-2010, 04:12 PM
An interesting detail: As Hitler`s plane landed on Immola-airfield Finland, the plane`s left tire was on fire. The main characters ignored it, but it caused some action as men hurried to put out the flames. You can catch a glimpse of this on the newsreel Celeon999 mentions above. Hmm! What would have happened, if the tire had exploded earlier as the plane touched the ground?

Celeon999
02-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by DritteNordland:
An interesting detail: As Hitler`s plane landed on Immola-airfield Finland, the plane`s left tire was on fire. The main characters ignored it, but it caused some action as men hurried to put out the flames. You can catch a glimpse of this on the newsreel Celeon999 mentions above. Hmm! What would have happened, if the tire had exploded earlier as the plane touched the ground?

Indeed ! Didn't noticed that !

A plume of smoke even flies past Hitler when he gets out of the plane.

I bet the Gestapo investigated that incident right away http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif