PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running the ATI 4.12??

Hawgdog
01-15-2006, 05:37 PM
I read in another overclocking forum several folks are running the 4.12 catylist- they are using older cards, i.e. 9800's etc.

thoughts?

worth a try?
anyone messed around going backwards?

regards

Hawgdog
01-15-2006, 05:37 PM
I read in another overclocking forum several folks are running the 4.12 catylist- they are using older cards, i.e. 9800's etc.

thoughts?

worth a try?
anyone messed around going backwards?

regards

GuNzABlaZiN
01-15-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm using them with the 9800 Pro. No problems here.

MC202zipper
01-15-2006, 06:43 PM
On my AMD Barton/NF7/9800Pro rig I have been using them with satisfaction & no problems (I actually used the OmegaDrivers based on Cat 4.12).
I later switched to OmegaDrivers based on Cat 5.9 (and I still have them) and I have seen no particular improvements in performance, at least nothing so evident... maybe the latest have a bit more conistent average framerate, say 2-3 fps higher, but I never tried to do a direct test benching both of them....

You should not have problems to go backward with drivers if, after a normal uninstall, you give it a clean with DriverCleaner Pro v.1.2 (I think that is the last version).
Make a Google search for DriverCleaner Pro, install it, uninstall the drivers, restart windows, refuse to install anything when it will ask you, then start Driver Cleaner & give it a go cleaning all the ATI selections.
Restart Windows again & you are ready to go for a new driver...

Sometime I think I would like to make a serious comparation between drivers... but it's a hell of a job for a single guy...

S!
MC202zipper

-HH- Beebop
01-15-2006, 07:26 PM
I recently switched from 5.6's to the 5.13's on a 9800XT card. I was quite satisfied with the 5.6's. They worked fine. But I was convinced to try the 5.13's. Man, what a difference. Colors are richer and deeper and the Kurland autumn map, which was lovely before is BAM!POW! awesome now. I didn't realize there were three different shades of brown on the map.

I'm from the "if it's not broke don't fix it" club so it take a lot to get me to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.

The 5.13's can be used with the old Control Panel as well. Just download the driver's and install. complete directions are on ATI's website.

I recommend that you at least give them a try. You can always go back to the 4.12's if you like.

-HH-Quazi
01-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Yea, I am glad you made the upgrade to the latest drivers Col. And I am gald you see with your own eyes what I was telling you.

ATI isn't like Nvidia. If you install a MX 440, you will be told to run the 45.33's. But every new Cat release is meant to benefit all their cards. The 9800Pro will benefit just as the X850 will, and just as the X1800XT will. Maybe not to the same degree, but nonetheless a benefit.

This is one of the main reasons I have stayed with them for as long as I have. I remember I got an increase of a little over 4fps in the BD track somewhere in the 4.xx Cats, by just upgrading to the next Cat release. Plus the fact they release their efforts to improve their drivers once a month.

I am glad you found the driver upgrade worth while Beebop.

VW-IceFire
01-15-2006, 08:34 PM
I still can't get over the CCC being an enourmous and useless hog. I'm staying with 4.6 until I can figure something else out.

I also had problems with 4.7 and up with a long time being taken between me minimizing a window that then showed the desktop...any of the releases after 4.6 give me this problem and anything prior is fine. Something to do with the acceleration (because if you turn off hardware acceleration it goes away - but it also causes problems with mouse curors in games so its not a solution).

I did successfully roll back without too much trouble.

papotex
01-15-2006, 08:45 PM
well i am using the 5.13 with the old control panel. with all the said benefits of the 5.13 (better colors etc.)
but without the ridiculous control center resource hog.

Hawgdog
01-15-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm using a modded, OC'd 9800XT and 5.13's.
I also tried the Omega latest. I was just wondering if there were any benefits from trying an older set- the 4.12's came up a few times in overclocker forums.
I was wondering because I started remembering how we'd use .dll's from this driver set, .ini settings from that driver set, dx sets from that driver version etc etc.

thanks for feedback-

pourshot
01-15-2006, 09:17 PM
I have a 9800pro and cat 5.13's no probs here.

Hawgdog
01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
I dont have problems....I just want more!
Looks like its time to cough up for something bigger in the AGP dept.

I can get it to look like this, but I sure cant play online while it looks like this LOL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/carrier.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/inlandship.jpg

voyager_663rd
01-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Try dropping your screen rez hawgdog.

Per coastie, I dropped screen rez from 1280x960 to 1024x768. Less heat,fps picked up and the pics are just as pretty.

41 fps in 334th server with 40 people flying.

xp2400
9800pro
2x512 mb

Hawgdog
01-15-2006, 10:01 PM
I'll revist those settings if you're getting those kind of fps!

~S~