PDA

View Full Version : AR-234 Issue

Comrade_Sasha
05-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Hi- I've been trying to learn the quirks of the '234 since loading up IL1946; I've noticed ONE big glaring problem I hope someone has an answer for:

TRIM

I've tried with both loaded and unloaded planes, but with both I experience a VERY pronounced nose-down attitude. With elevator trim to neutral, full back-pressure on the stick is required just to keep it somewhat level- leaving very little wiggle room for climbing. I can dial in elvator trim, but even at full trim I'm STILL negative and have to fight the thing to keep it in the air. If I try with an unloaded ship, it's just the same- full up trim and fighting the stick for almost-level flight. Invariably I'll have to try and climb over some normally negligible terrain feature and sadly most of the time I'm screwed.

(And yes, I've made sure I was topped 100% with fuel to eliminate any possible fore-and-aft balance issues, if it's modelled that way.)

What gives? Has anyone else found this to be the case- and if so, did you find a fix for it? Or is it a 'glitch' that will require developer attention, if they can get to it?

Divine-Wind
05-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Funny, I have no problems flying the Arado. Do you have the latest patch? (4.08)

Superluminal_8
05-01-2007, 09:22 AM
No problem here.Sounds more like a stick issue.And it´s only that plane?

berg417448
05-01-2007, 09:27 AM
I just tried it in QMB and found that at low speeds it is "nose heavy" but as the speed increases it seems to be much better.

flyingloon
05-01-2007, 09:47 AM
get off the ground fully loaded with 1000kg and 2 500kg(is that right) and full load of fuel no problem, although does need a decent run up. keep it low, but not so low you hit stuff obviously, level and get speed up before before climbing.

Jaws2002
05-01-2007, 10:31 AM
it could be one of two things.
1. Your joystick is acting up and is actually not centered when it should be. Ccheck this in windows or the stick calibrating screen.
2. you are trying too hard to climb before you have enough speed to climb. At low speed the plane is nose heavy so only more speed will fix this issue. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In Arado you do everithing at high speed. use all the runway for take off and don't start your climb before you reached 550km/h.

High speed is where the plane is in it's element. (700+ km/h indicated).

p-11.cAce
05-01-2007, 10:40 AM
I http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif the AR...its not as speed hungry as it seems - I fly approaches around 250kph indicated with full flaps and flare out around 200kph without difficulty. Be sure to use proper flap settings for the phase of flight you are in and center trims before taking off.

DmdSeeker
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
mis-mapped divebrakes?

OneMug
05-01-2007, 07:08 PM
I just flew my first AR-234 mission last night. Twice on start up, an engine caught on fire (one right, one left)! I thought I was doing everything right: select left eng., start, throttle 0%, select right eng., start. Select both engines.

So, on the 3rd try, I hit "A" as soon as I saw the screen and touched nothing else! The the left eng. started, the a/c rotated 90% to starbord and the right eng. caught on fire! Then I blew up.

I got out of the mission, campaign, & program and started over. This time, I was able to start both engines and take off with no problems but,

When I dropped my bombs, I hit the F2 key to watch them fall. They seem to have collided about 50 ft below the a/c! They didn't "explode", but burst into a ball of sort of red sparks that slowly disappeared. No damage to the a/c and no ground impact.

What the blazes (so to speak) is goin on? OneMug

p-11.cAce
05-01-2007, 07:32 PM
??? Are you patched properly? I have NEVER experienced such problems with the AR. You DO have to be gentle with the throttles - early jet engines (without FADEC) are pretty touchy about sudden throttle movments!

VW-IceFire
05-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by OneMug:
I just flew my first AR-234 mission last night. Twice on start up, an engine caught on fire (one right, one left)! I thought I was doing everything right: select left eng., start, throttle 0%, select right eng., start. Select both engines.

So, on the 3rd try, I hit "A" as soon as I saw the screen and touched nothing else! The the left eng. started, the a/c rotated 90% to starbord and the right eng. caught on fire! Then I blew up.

I got out of the mission, campaign, & program and started over. This time, I was able to start both engines and take off with no problems but,

When I dropped my bombs, I hit the F2 key to watch them fall. They seem to have collided about 50 ft below the a/c! They didn't "explode", but burst into a ball of sort of red sparks that slowly disappeared. No damage to the a/c and no ground impact.

What the blazes (so to speak) is goin on? OneMug
Engines light on fire when you throttle up too quickly. Also its generally a good idea to not idle a jet engine at 0% but rather keep the fuel flowing at 5-10%. This doesn't make you go anywhere because there is still virtually no thrust at this point but it does keep the fuel going and you have fewer problems when you throttle up.

AB250 and AB500 bombs explode as you described. They are air burst cluster bombs. The intention is to scatter anti-person/anti-vehicle (AB250) or anti-tank bomblets over a wide area (AB500 and up). These can be tricky to deploy effectively but when deployed correctly with the right timing you can take out whole rows of tanks or light vehicles.

OneMug
05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your responses, esp the tip on 5-10% RPM to keep it runing.

I'm aware of the touchiness of early jets. I took a pilot's body home to his parents after he blew out a J-65 by throttling up too fast while pulling Gs. He made two mistakes, the 2nd being waiting too long to eject and hitting the ground before his chute opened.

Why an autostart would result in a burnt engine, unless the AI doesn't know how to slowly increase RPM? OneMug
P.S. I hope this get through. I can't find my four May 02 post on the forum

Comrade_Sasha
05-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I've done some more QMB testing on this, and I think I found the answer...DOH, some of my early trouble was indeed caused by not having a proper zero on my joystick. I JUST found out about how to pre-zero a Saitek joystick (start computer, run the stick through all it's movements and buttons BEFORE you start your game, and it self-zeros). The AR-234, as noted, is nose-heavy at low speeds (WAY nose-heavy) but once I could fight the thing to a decent altitude and speed it evened out a bit.

NOW- about the engine startup problems noted earlier by OneMug:

I've found it best to select the left engine and let it start up (you'll hear the buzzing stop, indivcating it's running) and throttle it to 10% or less. Then do the same for the right engine. Once you have both engines started, hit your 'select all engines' and throttle them up to 10-15% and abck down to just above zero and you should be ready to rock and roll. Just DO NOT pour on the gas like you can in a piston engine fighter- you'll burn for sure. I have my + and - keys set for 5% increments, but i use these only for the initial startup; past that I use the smotther throttle slider on my joystick and I DO NOT adjust it very quickly at all. The AR-234's engines *seem* a bit more forgiving than a ME-262's but I'm not going to state that as fact. As always with these German jets...Your Mileage May Vary.