PDA

View Full Version : Worse FPS under PF?

NorrisMcWhirter
10-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi,

So, the developer says that you should get similar or better performance with PF than AEP?

Don't believe the hype.

I get worse performance than I did before even after:
a. Installing the recommended video drivers (56.72).
b. Copying relevant parts (graphical) of my AEP conf.ini to my PF conf.ini

I used to get a nice average of 70FPS +/- 10FPS.
Now, I get about 60FPS +/- 60FPS - it's extremely choppy especially around ships even when they're not firing.

The new time compression mode works very well; I get increments of a second every second http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and the old style time compression gives me 2FPS at most.

I know I have a very dated rig but it runs AEP alright...Anyone else having chop problems?

Cheers,
Norris

SkyChimp
10-21-2004, 06:06 PM
PF won't run at all on my system. I don't have it yet.

Slick750
10-21-2004, 06:21 PM
What PC specs do you have Norris? what resolution are you using?

Philipscdrw
10-21-2004, 06:24 PM
I have contact lenses which I usually use with my PC, but I will use specs when I don't want to wear the lenses.

Kasdeya
10-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Norris, Make sure you didnt delete or copy over something in the conf.imi. I heard from Uclanupe that there are a few new graphical thing in there. That might be the prob. Havent seen anyone post about bad frames just better, or slightly better. I cant wait to try it on my POS PC. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

LEXX_Luthor
10-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Yes, I save my "conf" file before every Patch and put it back. It messes with it

Chimp:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PF won't run at all on my system. I don't have it yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Won't work on mine either http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

fordfan25
10-21-2004, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Yes, I save my "conf" file before every Patch and put it back. It messes with it

Chimp:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PF won't run at all on my system. I don't have it yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Won't work on mine either http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya im haveing the same problem. must be a bug lol. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
10-22-2004, 06:53 AM
Hi,

I think we now know where Monkhouse's joke book had been..

That aside:

PC Specs:
AMD XP 2400+
ECS K7S5A MB
512MB PC2100 RAM
XFX GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB (128MB aperture set)
Win XP PRO/'custom' hardware profile

Now, I know this isn't exactly top notch but I did get very smooth offline play on FB/AEP except on the very largest maps.

Online was smooth on all maps ...with an average of 70FPS +/- 10FPS. This is with graphic settings of:

1024x768x32
AA is on because this gave me a 30FPS increase for FB.

In game:
View distance : High
Everything else is set to low or flat except ground detail which is very low (I prefer frames, not prettiness)

I installed PF standalone so there should be no issue with conf.ini files in any way.

I used the PF 'setup' program to configure everything as it is for FB/AEP.

I even used a file comparision utility ('Beyond Compare') to check between my FB and PF conf.ini files to make sure nothing stupid had been set. It hadn't.

I suspect it's to do with the amount of AI planes. If I enable the time compression, it doesn't compress time too much at all and, according to the manual, time compression turns off the 3D rendering but keeps computing all AI activity + movements.

The other thing(s) it could be is:

a. DirectX 9.0C which was installed with the game (but I use OpenGL)
b. Graphics drivers 56.72 which I installed over the recommended for FB to try to boost the FPS; I saw a small improvement for these later drivers.

This leads me to my next questions:

1. Can I use additional DCG settings from my FB/AEP conf.ini which set up number of planes/mission distance etc to try to reduce this?

2. If I install PF with FB, does the install change it so that FB is optimised to use the new drivers, also? It would be a bit stupid to have PF needing 56.76 for optimal performance whereas PF+FB needing 45.26 (or whatever number they were)...

Cheers,
Norris

PS: I've posted this in the technical forum also.

WOLFMondo
10-22-2004, 06:59 AM
I found with my 9700 pro the FPS im getting in PF is marginally better at times, at other times its allot better, especially when theres lots of AA when compared to FB. I can even run winamp in the background now and not have a slide show with 31 AI aircraft as well as me.

I did however completely remove and delete FB/AEP first then install the whole lot from scratch to avoid any problems.

beepboop
10-22-2004, 07:36 AM
You're telling me. ****, not only is the averga FPS shot to hell compared to AEP, but PF seems to have returned to the darks days of FB's original pauses and stalls. Every so often, for no noticeable reason, the game freezes up for a couple of seconds. Of course, this always happens at the most infuriating moments, so you crash into the ground or completely lose sight of your target. Looks like we'll have to count on an endless series of patches to fix it. Here we go again, I guess.

x6BL_Brando
10-22-2004, 07:49 AM
Oh Gawd, here we go again - more pot half-full or half-empty observations on a product that we've only had for about five minutes. Personally I find it works as well, if not better than FB - though I can see that I'll need to run a few tweaks as specified in the Read-me to optimise it all.

ArjenKuifje
10-22-2004, 07:57 AM
x6BL_Brando is right IMO.

Not many differences here. (I installed PF over FB+AEP). I find hardly any change in performance. (P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB Ram, Ti4200-128Mb)
PF Feels like a large patch, partly being being bug fixes, partly new functionality (changing speedbar's measurement unit) as well as a lot of new maps and planes..... calling it a large patch is not that I want to degrade the product, it's great... just to express how it 'feels'

madsarmy
10-22-2004, 08:03 AM
fps is the same but I'm getting stutters & pauses, but I have not started to tweak or try different drivers yet so I am not going to get to worried. Yet!
I have done PF as a stand alone aswell & it runs the same as FB+AEP+PF so it was not a dodgy install.

all run on excellent setting's. I will try a few different drivers & tweaks but overall PF is stunninghttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
my spec
Abit AN7
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1GB Corsair DDR XMS3200C2PT Platinum CAS2
ATI 9800 pro 128mb 4.9drivers
Antec TruePower 550W PSU

cabby_77
10-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Well I get much better fps now than never earlier. Perfect is totally playable with 1024*768, 2*TAA+8*AF (forest=3, water=2). No stutters/minipauses.

P4 3.3Ghz, X800 XT PE

Inadaze
10-22-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm running PF on a 9700pro, for me frame rates have improved over AEP, I don't get stutters or pauses. I can play in perfect (Water 0), though when 15 Zekes attacked the Carrier group, the frame rate dropped to around 22fps because of all the AA fire.

Since then I've gone back to using excellent and its as smooth as butter.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Inadaze

x6BL_Brando
10-22-2004, 08:55 AM
I took a look at my FPS and it's the same as with FBAEP - an average of 40fps with 4AA, 8AF, V-synch On, 1024x768x32, RR 120, using my trusty 'old' 9700 Pro (3200+barton, 1024 pc3200 mushkin). I dunno if that's 'good' compared to the average - but it sure seems good to me! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
No stutters or freezes so far....but I've only flown a couple of campaign missions up to now.

NorrisMcWhirter
10-22-2004, 09:25 AM
^ These comments point more and more to AI causing the problem.

Away from any aggro/ships, I am getting 50-60FPS on average and things are smooth. Even near land, things are smooth. For example, one of the single missions where you carry bombs and drop tanks in Wildcat (can't remember exactly) plays as FB does and there are few AI on it.

As soon as 30+ AI turn up/get near to ship AA, things get choppy.

This is why I'm asking whether the previous DCG modifiers, which may be placed in the conf.ini file, can be used with PF.

I suspect that it'll probably be alright online - have to try it tonight. Any recommendations for PF only online servers or are they all running PF/AEP?

Cheers,
Norris

Kasdeya
10-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Hey Norris, try turning up the settings. My systems runs better and faster on excellent/perfect than on low or medium. Go figure. P4 1.6 1gig Pc2100 and an X800 vid card. waiting for my new system and then the trusty Geforce FX5200 foes back in.

EDIT: you might be on to something with the AI thing.

e5kimo
10-22-2004, 09:31 AM
i acctually do get better performance in PF.
however there are some real show stoppers like for example the ship AAA. they cripple my system like nothing and i assume the problem could be the trillions of smoke puffs they create.
coops with up to 40 ai planes on perfect no problem.. as long as none of those AI flies in range of the ship AAA http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Inadaze
10-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Norris, what do you have the Effects set to in your conf.ini? I tried it set to 2 and my machine hated getting near ships firing their guns. I set it back to 1 and it's alot better.

It might have nothing to do with your problem, but could be worth a look.

Inadaze

e5kimo
10-22-2004, 09:34 AM
3dgunners=0

helps a bit .. still full on raids on convoy or battlegroup is fps suicide (even with effects on 0 and water on 1)

madsarmy
10-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Norris

I always just start a campaign straight away.So this is what I done yesterday when PF arrived.The campaign I started was F4U Tarawa November1943.I have been and had a look at what was going on on the rest of the map. I am not surprised I get a few stutters & pauses (loads of stuff going on)
Just done one sortie (sortie 7 or 8) & it turned into a slide showhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif 30+ planes plus x amount of ships & the flak was nearly a solid wall.lol!

So I've just tried a few single missions & they ran flawless with an avg 50fps which is what I normally get.

Not tried online yet but I have always found if it runs offline ok it will be A1 online.

NorrisMcWhirter
10-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the responses chaps.

I've been through the conf file and trimmed out anything I didn't like the look of (e.g. effects/water=99999 etc!) and it didn't make a whole lot of difference. I'm not at home at the mo but will try to add the DCG config items to the PF conf just as a damage limitation.

I don't fly offline much but fancied a bash at the offline missions cos of the new DCG. Seems like I might have to give that a miss for now.

Cheers,
Norris