PDA

View Full Version : OT: George Best RIP

dazza9806482
11-25-2005, 06:28 AM
Cheerio to a great man.

maybe wont mean much to some American folks, although he did play in america...

anyhoo, sad story but he had no regrets.

stathem
11-25-2005, 06:36 AM
At number 1, was Georgie Best,
At No.2, was Georgie Best,
etc.

Yep, farewell to El Beatle.

Quick story, some of you'll heard it, some won't get it..

A local newspaper reporter has an interview booked with George in the late sixties. The reporter's ushered up to George's plush hotel room, only to find him half cut, in bed with two models, surrounded by empty Champagne bottles.

"George!" the rep exclaims "Where did it all go wrong?"

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-25-2005, 06:47 AM
"If I'd been born English, you would never have heard of Pele."

http://home.interlink.or.jp/~tomikosi/Best5.jpg

Thanks for the good times, George.

leadbaloon
11-25-2005, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by dazza9806482:

anyhoo, sad story but he had no regrets.

"I spent most of my money on women, fast cars and drink. The rest I just wasted."

George Best

SeaFireLIV
11-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Bad news again. Sad news.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ytareh
11-25-2005, 12:47 PM
One of the Icons of the 60s surely.(A Northern Irish soccer player for americans and continental european non-sports fans.I cant imagine anyone in Britain or Ireland ever not hearing of him....)Unbelievable talent ,hard party-er, alas hit the bottle too hard-was on second liver-universally loved-eg used sometimes 'sleep it off' after a hard nights drinking in the local fire station's bunks)Surely a candidate for top twenty greatest ever Irishmen.RIP Georgie.

danjama
11-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Brilliant Man, gotta love him. Cant believe he is dead actually, wow!!!!

RIP George http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Lucius_Esox
11-25-2005, 01:52 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting the man on more than one occasion. I used to deliver fish to his local in Fulham, the Pheney Arms (spelling?)

I would roll in about 10.30am and George would be sitting there quite often, the pub had just opened and he was normally the only person in there, talk about early doors!

It was a terrible job and to put it bluntly you smelt http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I was a student and needed the cash!!!

I would see him and he would always lift his pint up to me and smile, you couldn't get much further down the food chain than doing that job but it felt like the guy was treating me as an equal.. Left am impression I can tell you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Humble or what, probably the greatest football talent to grace this planet and he used to greet a nobody to him like that.

It is a great regret of mine that one day I didn't just say bolox to the job and said "do you fancy a pint George" I reckon he would have gone for it,, he seemed that sort of guy.. Man I bet he would have had some stories to tell.

**** shame, the passing of a truly nice person.

R.I.P. George

danjama
11-25-2005, 01:59 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif Nice Post!

Xiolablu3
11-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Hmmm, not sure I agree with him getting a liver transplant and then drinking himself to death again, straight after. Must have seemed pretty pointless to the family who donated it.

But RIP all the same.

Waldo.Pepper
11-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Sad about Mr. Best

Please don't think I am trying to hijack or troll I just a confused little puppy here.

Are we all celebrating his Joie de la vie or failing to recognize that the poor man, quite obviously had a drinking problem that he could not overcome?

Apologies in advance for any ruffled feathers.

BaldieJr
11-25-2005, 02:32 PM
This guy reminds me of G. W. Bush. He was always drinking beer and is the kindest man I ever met. Funny too!

I delivered fresh cabbage to his estate years ago. He was the best customer I had. He even gave me a huge tip at christmas one year. What a guy. He wasn't a drunk though.

dieg777
11-25-2005, 02:37 PM
I dont think anyone, including the man himself, failed to recognise the problems that drink caused. He tried and sadly failed to cure himself.

However I think he brought joy and a certain light to anyone who appreciates sporting skill and especially soccer fans.

RIP George - you were one of the very best.

Kuna15
11-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Sorry to hear that. I know he was a great football player (Man U).
Last time I was reading in the newspaper about him is that he is in hospital.

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-25-2005, 03:35 PM
O.K. Here's the story for Waldo and others (no offence taken mate).

Born in Belfast in 1946, George Best was a true footballing (soccer) genius. Probably the most naturally talented player to ever wear a Manchester United shirt. His dazzling skill and natural good looks resulted in him becoming Britain's first media sporting superstar. He became as famous for his high living as his footballing prowess, his natural Irish charm endearing him to all and sundry, his football was truly wonderful to watch as he danced his way through the hardest men in the game. No footballer had ever been exposed to the publicity and temptations that came his way. He was the idol of millions of British children (including myself) who would wear any old red shirt and become their hero - this was all in the days before corporate sponsorship and having the right brand name came along.
His appearance (it must be said that there were others in the team he played for, adored, yes - but never as much as 'Bestie') would guarantee a full house wherever he played. But he had a problem. A big problem. He couldn't say no to the booze. In later life he became famous as a drunk guest on chat shows. He had a liver transplant. He was told time and again another drink would kill him. He couldn't resist. He was an alcholic. He drank. He died. Many people here (and I'm one of them) are angry that he wasted his last chance. He wasted someone else's liver. Maybe he could have had more help. Maybe he could have helped himself. It was sad beyond words to watch his very public decline. Every newspaper in this country had his picture and his story on the front page today. I'm a football fan - so I'd like to remember the football. Like most of my generation. His death has reduced grown men to tears over here. A truly pathetic ending. As I posted before, Thanks for the good times George. I hope you rest in peace.

Grue_
11-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Last orders George http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Isn't it ironic that he died the same week they relaxed the English licensing laws...

SeaFireLIV
11-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Hmmm, not sure I agree with him getting a liver transplant and then drinking himself to death again, straight after. Must have seemed pretty pointless to the family who donated it.

But RIP all the same.

Some of you guys have got to try and be a little more understanding. Giving up drink once you`re an alcoholic is hard! It permeates every part of your being not only physically but mentally too. If you`ve been at it all your life it`s harder than heroine to give up...

Well, I have a good friend who`s continually going through this **** at the very moment and he`s been trying to give up forever, since about 21 and now he`s 39. It`d be too long to say what i`ve seen this guy go through...

Personally, I`ve given up trying to get him off it. I`m not his mother.

But you`ve gotta try to understand that it`s really tough for these people.

dazza9806482
11-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Good summary lowflyer

yeah beastie is a funny hero, he drunk a lot and he lost a lot, but he was still universally regarded as a lovely guy.

thing is, no matter what flak he encountered, and there was a lot, especially the infamous 'wogan' appearance, he always seemed impervious to it.

my great aunt, who is still alive and working in a pub at 70, told me a story about george in the 60's. he was at a pub in belfast where my aunt was serving, best was top of the world and surrounded by fans, but nevertheless still had a kind word and a smile for my aunt.

and Baldie, ive had a few drinks, so i cant work out if your being facitious, but if you are its not warranted. George Best, for all his faults was the best (excuse the pun) thing to come out of Northern Ireland for a long time and gave a much needed sense of pride. Unlike George Bush he had a talent and for a brief time exhibited genius. like many irish he liked a drink but that doesnt define him (actually thats a bit oxymoronic).

all the best george http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

ps. oh aye waldo: yeah the booze problem is an interesting thing. he is still loved despite his obvious problems. i think most people from ireland just remember his charm and skill, he suffered from a disease and its undeniably tragic,but then he didnt view it that way. he wanted to be remember for his football and thats what stands.

apologies for the rambling, im very drunk....

and baldie- no malice meant, ur a funny guy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Xiolablu3
11-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

But RIP all the same.

Some of you guys have got to try and be a little more understanding. Giving up drink once you`re an alcoholic is hard! It permeates every part of your being not only physically but mentally too. If you`ve been at it all your life it`s harder than heroine to give up...

Well, I have a good friend who`s continually going through this **** at the very moment and he`s been trying to give up forever, since about 21 and now he`s 39. It`d be too long to say what i`ve seen this guy go through...

Personally, I`ve given up trying to get him off it. I`m not his mother.

But you`ve gotta try to understand that it`s really tough for these people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do understand m8, I have had a battle with certain things not unsimilar thru-out my life. However, if I had taken a new body part from a kind donating family, I would find it hard to look them in the eye after I had done exactly the same to that liver, which could have gone to someone who would have looked after it.

I am very sympathetic to addictions, and I dont know all the circumstances, but after reading the stroy in the newspaper, it looked like he had abused their kindness a little.

woofiedog
11-25-2005, 11:19 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif God Bless!

WTE_Ibis
11-26-2005, 01:59 AM
You were the best,
Peace at last.
Salute.

Taylortony
11-26-2005, 02:32 AM

But RIP all the same.

I do have to agree with that statement, as possibly it could have gone to someone else as well........

I must admit I am not a great fan of 22 grown men kicking a bag of wind between 4 sticks, but saying that he was a genuis at it........ but again it was only a game after all..

RIP George, You did give a lot of people a great deal of pleasure for a short span of time, and for that you will be remembered.

wicklow
11-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Saw the guy play several times he was magic, when you think of the fact that he didnt enjoy the protection modern players have from refs,once saw ron harris of chelsea put him 4feet in the air with a tackle from behind besty just gave him that sideways look of his ,within seconds best balanced the ball on his foot and turned harris inside out magic, pure magic. God bless you George, there but for the grace of god go us all.

SeaNorris
11-26-2005, 05:32 AM

But RIP all the same.

But, if I remember so, didn't he have two different livers, and he drank so much he needed another one to be donated before the person who donated?

RIP all the same though.

hotspace
11-26-2005, 06:05 AM
I think he only had the one given to him a few year's back m8 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Hot Space

BaldieJr
11-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Isn't it amazing how forgiving our societies can be when drunkards and dope addicts have sport-talent?

Its good to know that "working class" humans can contribute so much.

dazza9806482
11-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Its also good to know that I should probably just ignore you in future baldie.

George Best rose from working class Belfast poverty through his fantastic talent, he wasnt worthless and he was the top of his chosen profession before the drink problem.

his death is a source of sadness for many from the UK so rather than be a sanctimonious fool maybe u could respect that.

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-26-2005, 09:10 AM
That was an insensitive and offensive post, Baldie. You might want to delete it.

BaldieJr
11-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I altered it out of respect for you.

Lucius_Esox
11-26-2005, 10:52 AM
I wonder why people become dope addicts and drunkards. Also be interesting to see some stats as to how many "high fliers" or potential one's vis a vis us mere mortals go this way.

My gut feeling is that a lot of talented people are "close to the edge" anyway.......

With alchoholism some say that it is something that can be inherited, a gene if you like!

George Bests mum sadly went the same way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ashley2005
11-26-2005, 11:09 AM
R.I.P besty ..

alot of sports people dieing laterly ..richard burns from the world rally championship has just died of a brain tumour .. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

MEGILE
11-26-2005, 01:50 PM
A shame.. but there is a moral to the story.

Aaron_GT
11-26-2005, 02:57 PM
It is an interesting juxtaposition: George Best finally dies from drink. Pub licensing becomes more liberalised. Same week.

I've no objection to pubs being open longer. It's just people being drunk in the streets or being hungover at work I have a problem with.

Now if we could import continental drinking habits (along with taking August off and trains that run on time and don't smell) we'd be doing well.

jds1978
11-29-2005, 10:12 AM
as a recovering alcoholic i can attest to this: a lot of people have no clue what an addict goes through. I admitted to having a drinking problem in 1999. Still i continued to drink on and off again until the winter of 2003.
Why? Who knows, maybe i had to hit rock bottom.
For me, Rock Bottom meant a month in the slammer, thousands of dollars in fines, watching my family nearly disintegrate and a nasty case of the DT's to figure out that booze was going to kill me.

Moral of the Story: If you're brave enough to look there is lots of help available. Recovery pretty much means accepting certain realities about yourself and doing your best at fixing them.

RIP Mr Best

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-29-2005, 04:25 PM
jds1978, I can't offer you anything but my total respect. Thanks for putting things into perspective here.

jds1978
11-29-2005, 05:30 PM
thanks Low Flyer...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif