PDA

View Full Version : Causal & Hardcore

CrusaderV
06-23-2011, 04:22 PM
What do you guys think about Assassin's Creed 1, 2 and Brotherhood are causal or hardcore?

Are you describe yourself as causal or hardcore gamers?

Is Ubisoft aiming for causal or hardcore gamers?

Chamboozer
06-23-2011, 04:27 PM
They're casual games, AC is mainstream and therefore if they want to make money they have to aim for the casual gamers.

It's less casual than Call of Duty or Halo, though. On the casual->hardcore scale I would give it a 6.

SupremeCaptain
06-23-2011, 06:40 PM
AC1 - Hardcore
AC2 - Casual
ACB - ...

Mic_92
06-23-2011, 06:43 PM
They're all pretty easy.

xCr0wnedNorris
06-23-2011, 06:56 PM
They're all pretty casual games, which I think is fine since I'm a casual gamer. I wouldn't mind something like a difficulty setting incase I ever felt like wanting a challenge though.

Dagio12
06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:
AC1 - Hardcore
AC2 - Casual
ACB - ...

i think you meant AC1 - Casual
AC2 - Casual
AC3 - Casual... lol.

just messin with ya. but seriously IMO none of them are really hardcore. I never thought AC was ever meant to be a "hard" or "hardcore" game, but more of about an immersive experience and a compelling story. I will say that the combat was a little bit more challenging in the first game tho... bc of limited moves and weapons and the AI being a little more aggressive, but still not really difficult.

cless711
06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm a casual gamer myself and I do agree that there should be a harder difficulty setting, I'm all for more tricky fights and the story for AC:R. :P

an-assassin
06-24-2011, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by SF2themax:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:
AC1 - Hardcore
AC2 - Casual
ACB - ...

AC2 - Casual
AC3 - Casual... lol.

just messin with ya. but seriously IMO none of them are really hardcore. I never thought AC was ever meant to be a "hard" or "hardcore" game, but more of about an immersive experience and a compelling story. I will say that the combat was a little bit more challenging in the first game tho... bc of limited moves and weapons and the AI being a little more aggressive, but still not really difficult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know if AC 3 is casual when its not even out yet. ACB is NOT AC 3

scope2005
06-24-2011, 04:36 AM
The thing I like about the AC games is that they can be played either casual or hardcore dependant on the player - it isn't really enforced as such.

If you wanna do the casual thing and run into missions melee fighting everything and killing every guard - so long as there is no mission parameter for being detected then you can do it.

On the other hand, if you want to do the mission silently and with skill - the option is there as most missions are set up with guard patrols that can be avoided, silently eliminated, with plety of hiding places to tuck into or to hide your bodies..

I prefer the latter - im a purist. If I get caught stupidly during a mission which I know I can stealth right up to the target kill then I will die on purpose to restart it.

Some of the missions (especially in AC1), can be hardcore difficult to finish without being detected before the kill.

Dagio12
06-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by an-assassin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SF2themax:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:
AC1 - Hardcore
AC2 - Casual
ACB - ...

AC2 - Casual
AC3 - Casual... lol.

just messin with ya. but seriously IMO none of them are really hardcore. I never thought AC was ever meant to be a "hard" or "hardcore" game, but more of about an immersive experience and a compelling story. I will say that the combat was a little bit more challenging in the first game tho... bc of limited moves and weapons and the AI being a little more aggressive, but still not really difficult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know if AC 3 is casual when its not even out yet. ACB is NOT AC 3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know its not.. that was a typo. I meant ACB. Sorry, long day. haha

iN3krO
06-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Ac1: Mixture of Casual and Hardcore
Ac2: Casual
AcB: Casual+++

I don't want a full Hardcore game, i want a mixture like Ac1 but improved...

Oh, and i'm an hardcore gamer :P

BingChandler
06-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Well, if you 100% the games I'd say that's a little more difficult, but pretty mainstream/casual nonetheless.

AC1 was easily the least accessible (especially looking for all those kingdom flags), but it's still my personal favorite. Wish we could go back to that level of intricacy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Edit: Forgot to consider the glyph and rift puzzles from the second two. They're still way too easy, but I really like these sections and they add a nice "hardcore" touch. Or at least make the player think for a moment.

iN3krO
06-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by BingChandler:
Well, if you 100% the games I'd say that's a little more difficult, but pretty mainstream/casual nonetheless.

AC1 was easily the least accessible (especially looking for all those kingdom flags), but it's still my personal favorite. Wish we could go back to that level of intricacy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Edit: Forgot to consider the glyph and rift puzzles from the second two. They're still way too easy, but I really like these sections and they add a nice "hardcore" touch. Or at least make the player think for a moment.

I don't think those glyphs/ritfs were nice... i would prefer combat harder than harder glyphs/rifts -.-''

Sun.Tzu.GE
06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Even though i play almost every game that is released, ( usually i wait for the review and if it's above 7, i will buy it ) I play all of them on normal difficulty and never felt the need for a challenge.I will have to say that AC1 and AC2 were just casual games with normal difficulty.But I actually started to play ACB a second time because i want to get full synchronization this time.And I actually found that pretty hard.What I'm trying to say is that the full sync option in ACB is a way for hardcore gamers to feel a bit challenged when playing.(As if you were playing on HARD difficulty)

El_Sjietah
06-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Except it's tedious rather than difficult.

ace3001
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Those who call themselves "hardcore gamers" should shoot themselves in the head. They think they're some kinda superior breed for wanting to die a lot in a game, rather than wanting to enjoy it freely.
Anyway, in their terms, I'm a casual gamer, and AC is a casual series. And me, I hope it stays that way. I like to freely enjoy a game rather than gritting my teeth and trying something over and over again. There's more to enjoying a game than beating a challenge.

iN3krO
06-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
Those who call themselves "hardcore gamers" should shoot themselves in the head. They think they're some kinda superior breed for wanting to die a lot in a game, rather than wanting to enjoy it freely.
Anyway, in their terms, I'm a casual gamer, and AC is a casual series. And me, I hope it stays that way. I like to freely enjoy a game rather than gritting my teeth and trying something over and over again. There's more to enjoying a game than beating a challenge.

Ac1 was not to grit your teeth and it was how it should be... The combat were easy? yes, but if you weren't skilled it would take more time than being stealthy...

I don't want to die a lot in a game, i want to feel badass after beating my enemies... in Acb i don't feel badass my self cuz ezio is already badass it self (he is too overpowered...)

Cornik22
06-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Yes

Black_Widow9
06-24-2011, 01:47 PM
What exactly is your definition of Hardcore? Don't you think how you play a game is whether you are considered Hardcore or Casual not the game? If you do all of the side missions and extras and really use the full depth of the game doesn't that make you a Hardcore gamer?
IMO all Assassin's Creed games could be considered both Casual or Hardcore depending on how you play.

iN3krO
06-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Black_Widow9:
What exactly is your definition of Hardcore? Don't you think how you play a game is whether you are considered Hardcore or Casual not the game? If you do all of the side missions and extras and really use the full depth of the game doesn't that make you a Hardcore gamer?
IMO all Assassin's Creed games could be considered both Casual or Hardcore depending on how you play.

I don't think Ac are as hardcore as other games... even only playing the main missions of others games i feel they are much more hardcore than Ac's doing them complete...

It's not that i prefer those games, i just think that a little of hardcore wouldn't be bad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ace3001
06-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
Ac1 was not to grit your teeth and it was how it should be... The combat were easy? yes, but if you weren't skilled it would take more time than being stealthy...

I don't want to die a lot in a game, i want to feel badass after beating my enemies... in Acb i don't feel badass my self cuz ezio is already badass it self (he is too overpowered...)
I didn't say AC1 was like that. And my comment wasn't directed entirely towards you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
But the way most so called "hardcore gamers" think, even AC1 is mainly a casual game. I understand wanting to feel badass. In that sense, have you played Batman: Arkham Asylum?

I don't think Ac are as hardcore as other games... even only playing the main missions of others games i feel they are much more hardcore than Ac's doing them complete...

It's not that i prefer those games, i just think that a little of hardcore wouldn't be bad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif An example for that kinda game would be? And not some complex RPG, btw. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

iN3krO
06-25-2011, 03:56 AM
Well, i don't like Batman and so i've not played any of his games but i see many ppl saying it's nice...

Is the combat here challenging? xD

I've not played very games but for single player, the more hardcore game i've played was God of War.... In multiplayer, Quake is, by far, the best game, however, i don't like play alone and i prefer counter-strike.

It's not realistic either in graphics or in gameplay but it, surely, give an advantage for skilled ppl. <- What i want Ac to do, in this case, advantage in time.

sassinscreed
06-25-2011, 12:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you must be so cool because you are so much skilled in games wow, and ac 1 combat isn't really that hard you can kill anyone just using counter attack it will just take little longer than in ac:b

Noble6
06-25-2011, 01:49 PM
I thought that casual games are like mobile games and most of the Wii games. Uhm so hardcore games are difficult games? In my opininion this division is misleading and just bad.

El_Sjietah
06-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by sassinscreed:

you must be so cool because you are so much skilled in games wow, and ac 1 combat isn't really that hard you can kill anyone just using counter attack it will just take little longer than in ac:b
It's the same in AC2 and ACB. You just don't need it anymore.

kriegerdesgottes
06-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I'd say casual. That's how I like em.

ace3001
06-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
I'd say casual. That's how I like em. Word. Games are so much more fun, then. And AC better stay that way.

Originally posted by Noble6:
I thought that casual games are like mobile games and most of the Wii games. Uhm so hardcore games are difficult games? In my opininion this division is misleading and just bad. It is quite misleading, yes. These so called "skilled" and "hardcore" gamers that want to look cool call even World of Warcraft a "casual" game. That's something an ordinary gamer like myself wouldn't even touch, cause it wastes so much time. IMO, stuff like full blown MMOs or any other game that requires you to invest a lot of time in it cannot be called a "casual" game. If something can be played casually, it should be a pick-up-and-play kinda game.
For example, take Angry Birds. It requires skill. But can it really be classified as a "hardcore" game? I always considered that something that I can play casually when I have some free time that I can't spend on anything else. Just pick up and play.

crash3
06-26-2011, 10:27 AM
In terms of stealth/combat difficulty, the AC games are certainly casual. AC1 and perhaps AC2 had more complex/in depth storylines, making the game less casual

In terms of completing side missions etc, I wouldnt call myself a hardcore gamer, but a thorough gamer, I like to complete everything as and when it is presented.

I think the easy difficulty of the AC games so far doesnt allow us to really go hardcore on the series, I'm pretty bored of feeling casual whilst playing an AC game and not really thinking about what I'm doing as there is no challenge

I want there to be more strategic thinking involved in terms of combat and stealth and also a more complex storyline instead of just watching another loading screen, waiting for the next mission that I'm gonna complete in one CASUAL attempt