PDA

View Full Version : This sim can still suprise!

Bo_Nidle
07-14-2006, 02:24 PM
I have had IL2:fb since its release and it has been on my hard drive ever since.Yet even after all these years it can still do something to make me say "Cool".

A couple of days ago my eldest son showed me a replay of him fighting Zeroes in a Corsair on the QMB Pacific Islands map.
When the Zeroes fled for home he pursued and caught 4 in the landing pattern. He deftly despatched one with about 5 rounds (he is an annoyingly good shot!). He then caught the next as it was touching down.(And this is the cool part). He opened up on it but his aim was off this time and only a couple of rounds struck. As he overflew the landing Zero powered up again and attempted to take off, lost control and drifted to the right and crashed into the trees at the side of the runway.

He came around to attack the third as it touched down.Got good strikes and the pilot bailed with the with the aircraft still at high speed on the runway. He died and the Zero continued to taxi at high speed into an adjacent hangar where it exploded.

I had never seen this occur before and it looked pretty dramatic. Is this new behaviour?

Bo_Nidle
07-14-2006, 02:24 PM
I have had IL2:fb since its release and it has been on my hard drive ever since.Yet even after all these years it can still do something to make me say "Cool".

A couple of days ago my eldest son showed me a replay of him fighting Zeroes in a Corsair on the QMB Pacific Islands map.
When the Zeroes fled for home he pursued and caught 4 in the landing pattern. He deftly despatched one with about 5 rounds (he is an annoyingly good shot!). He then caught the next as it was touching down.(And this is the cool part). He opened up on it but his aim was off this time and only a couple of rounds struck. As he overflew the landing Zero powered up again and attempted to take off, lost control and drifted to the right and crashed into the trees at the side of the runway.

He came around to attack the third as it touched down.Got good strikes and the pilot bailed with the with the aircraft still at high speed on the runway. He died and the Zero continued to taxi at high speed into an adjacent hangar where it exploded.

I had never seen this occur before and it looked pretty dramatic. Is this new behaviour?

danjama
07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Sounds like Pearl Harbor

HAMMER DOWN

slipBall
07-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Can you get your son to give lesson's http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Skarphol
07-14-2006, 03:39 PM
No, it's not new behaviour, but really cool to watch!

Skarphol

Choctaw111
07-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Please tell me you recorded it. If you did I would like to see it. Do you have 4.05?

Bo_Nidle
07-14-2006, 06:24 PM
I'll check if he kept the replay which will be on the 4.05 version.

As for him giving lessons he regularly wipes the floor with me whenever we lan our PC's up-it can get pretty demoralising. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Mysticpuma2003
07-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Yes I'd like to view the track too!

In my film Secret Weapon over Stalingrad I have a scene (which is similar), in which I shot a 109 and started him smoking. I must have it his controls to as he couldn't gain height. His right wing clipped a smoke stack and the plane went into the ground. As it tumbles across the ground the AI pilot bailed and lies dead with the smoking plane in the background.

As you said, looks very cool.

Cheers, MP.

heywooood
07-15-2006, 09:56 AM
I have shot up a few Bf110's and He111's that were landing or on short final in some of my own homemade FMB missions...they careen nicely around the airfield and sometimes they blow up real good.

Malik_VII
07-15-2006, 11:02 AM
I had a mission with B17's. One blew up on the runway and the the next one hit it and the pilot floored it and all the guys bailed out. He only had left engines so it careened of to the right and hit a tree. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

justiceboy
07-15-2006, 12:15 PM
I too am amazed from time to time.

The other day my squad mate and i were in a coop. It was a quick take off coop as zero's were on the prowel over the base and begining to straffe us as we were ready to take off. Well we all know how AI sit and pick their Arse before take off. Just as one powered up he took some good strikes to the tail and it knocked off the top of tail. It started to roll and he bailed. Flaps were down and it was powered up. The plane took off and flew in a slow striaght climb for the entire mission.
Great laugh.

Siwarrior
07-15-2006, 08:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
Sounds like Pearl Harbor

HAMMER DOWN </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

squadldr76
07-15-2006, 08:56 PM
This might be a loaded question. But do you know if "hammer down" was an authentic thing pilots would say? Or is it just Hollywood flair? Another one that REALLY bugs me is how all the jet movies and sims now say "FOX 3!!!!" after ID4 came out.

Even if it is authentic, It irritates me how everybody says it now just to be cool. Ok, sorry, I feel better now.

/rant off

Bo_Nidle
07-15-2006, 09:02 PM
He kept the replay but I'm not sure how I can make it accessible to people. Any ideas?

MadRuski
07-15-2006, 09:33 PM
i once set up a quick game, iam in a BF and iam shooting down 4 B-17's, well as i started to come in behind them and managed to shoot one, he droped his payload and the other B-17 flew into it LOL...and then the one behind him climbed to avoid the wreckage, and as he climbed, he ran right into the belly of the the 4th b-17...and this is all hapenend as iam cruising behind them with an expresion like thishttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

LStarosta
07-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Sorta like balls to the wall.

People think it's got something to do with testicles, when in fact it doesn't.

Choctaw111
07-16-2006, 02:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:
He kept the replay but I'm not sure how I can make it accessible to people. Any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can first find the .trk file in the Il2 records folder. Then all you have to do is upoad it to www.yousendit.com (http://www.yousendit.com) or some other file sharing place and provide the link for the download in this thread.

PBNA-Boosher
07-16-2006, 04:34 PM
I flew a sortie this morning in the QMB. It could have easily been a slaughter. I was in command of 4 P-51D's and 2 P-51B's when I was jumped by 9 Ki-84-1a's and 5 N1K1's. It was a hell of a fight. Our formations attacked each other head on. In the first pass I lost three planes. The Japanese lost four, but two were to friendly collision. In the ensuing gunfight I shot down one, my mates got 1, and by the end my wingman and I were the only ones left. We were being tailed by the rest of them. Both of us were hit and dragging.
But when the AI caught up with us they flew alongside and peeled away. I've never seen that before.

SeaFireLIV
07-16-2006, 07:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:

I had never seen this occur before and it looked pretty dramatic. Is this new behaviour? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That`s the beauty of this sim and what calls it to me time after time. The parameters of the damage model, AI and open-endedness of the dogfighting arena means that many incidents can happen which are not specifically scripted to happen, yet they happen in a manner that`s very realistic as you might expect in a similar situation in a real WWII aircraft attack.

I still remember the time I finally shot up a 109 in a hard 1 on 1 fight in Campaign. Damaged the 109 drifted low to the ground, I flew by it as it hit the ground rolled several times before coming to rest... seconds later I saw the AI pilot jump out of the aircraft and run!