PDA

View Full Version : Is Upcomming BoB II worth it?

Charlie901
02-24-2005, 07:31 PM
While waiting for BoB by 1C, I saw that the original Rowan's BoB is being re-released soon as, BoB II.

It looks pretty good with A.I that have exactly the same FM's as your A/C (hence no UFO's) and huge bomber formations with lots of A/C in ech mission. Also the dynamic campaign sounds similar to that of Falcon 4.0 (this feature has me most intrigued).

So while we wait for Oleg's BoB, is this going to be a worth while purchase to hold me over?

Bearcat99
02-24-2005, 07:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlie901:
While waiting for BoB by 1C, I saw that the original Rowan's BoB is being re-released soon as, BoB II.

It looks pretty good with A.I that have exactly the same FM's as your A/C (hence no UFO's) and huge bomber formations with lots of A/C in ech mission. Also the dynamic campaign sounds similar to that of Falcon 4.0 (this feature has me most intrigued).

So while we wait for Oleg's BoB, is this going to be a worth while purchase to hold me over? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont know...... as far as it having "exactly" the same FMs as these AC.. I cant speak on that since I neverhad the pleasure of anyof the Rowans series.... I or II. I do know that people have raved about the quality of Rowans here..... I'm kind of spoiled though.... I cant see much currently on the market.... being as good as this sim. I hope someone posts about it when it comes out.

EnGaurde
02-24-2005, 07:43 PM
No.

Why?

possessions are temporary.

enlightenment lasts forever.

which should you be chasing, a fleeting glimpse of material based supposed happiness or the peace of mind and the ultimate Nirvana that comes with knowing all things and being everywhere at once?

Ohm....

R_Mutt
02-24-2005, 08:21 PM
BoB I was my first flight sim since aces of the pacific. The visuals were ok, the large formations were good, the bugs were horrendous, I remember having to completely screw my machine up just to get it to run.

The part most people will say was fantastic was the interactive campaign mode. I won't be one of them though. It was interesting at first, but a good campaign mode can't hold water against good online play.

The best thing I got out of BoB 1 was the introduction to a Mr. Capt. Farrell and his skins. Top notch even back than http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Chivas
02-24-2005, 08:39 PM
I think BOB II will be worth trying out until Oleg's version comes out. I will buy it. I have a bad feeling that they won't be changing those ugly block forests and towns.

The new water looks very nice as does the aircraft models. We will have to see how the new DM FM and AI pan out. It might be a good idea to wait for some user feedback.

Owlsphone
02-24-2005, 09:27 PM
I must say I was lured into the website and the game appeared to completely new, but after seeing the video, it looks like the old BoB. The video didn't impress me at all. Still have my fingers crossed though.

Troll2k
02-24-2005, 10:06 PM
I will not buy it since it does not support online play.

I also heard that they updated the graphics but it is still the same 3 year old engine.

The video reminded me of Secret Weapons Over Normandy.

LEXX_Luthor
02-24-2005, 10:26 PM
I *think* the Video is very old.

Like the obsolete LOMAC Demo, ignore it.

MrQBerrt
02-25-2005, 12:04 AM
I'll buy it if only because I want to try my 6DOF TrackIR out on something and don't want to buy CFS3 (especially since the gunsights aren't supposed to work right) or MSFS

Kannaksen_hanu
02-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Lets wait and see how much of it is promiseware and how much real thing. IMO it was quite funny to read the feature-list, in many cases it was deliberately directed against the few weaknesses IL-2 engine has. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ruy Horta
02-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Apart from the obvious pros and cons, I'm very much looking for a factor which is painfully missing in the 1C series - a decent campaign engine and actually one that is promised to allow for some strategic control.

Its been a long time, but some game like "Their Finest Hour" and "SWOTL" allowed for you to set up your defences, to control your squadrons etc.

This I've missed most of all in the dead enviorment of 1C.

Even if the sim might not live up, the campaign engine might still be a visually pleasing strategy game.

I have no doubt that 1C will manage a good looking BoB, with good looking aircraft, good flight models etc etc etc, but I hope they will learn from their mistakes (not only in the flying dep.) and include more of a GAME ENGINE this time.

Battle of Britain (or WW2 air combat) as a game can grow a lot if some elements of mission planning (not BUILDING) are included, pilot management. Not being able to influence the outcome of the war is a cop out for simply not providing the means beyond static missions.

Just think if your campaign engine allows for logistics, training, availability of a/c etc.

Pre-ordered the Rowan game, lets see if it brings some of these variables into the game play.

TacticalYak3
02-25-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm certainly interested too guys. However, I will definitely wait to hear the reviews.

This sequel is definitely aimed at a slightly different market then IL-2, in that their focus is on offline campaigns with improved AI. I must say it does sound great. Up the competition and consumer choices! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

If it is good I see no reason why one cannot enjoy both simulations. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Charlie901
02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I don't really care about the lack of online play these days. I guess I'm looking for a more immersive and dynamic single player campaign.

Give me a truly Dynamic campaign engine, like Falcon 4.0 (where you constantly hear, see and feel the war around you), set in a WWII environment and I'll be very happy.

At least until Oleg's BoB is ready!

Maj_Death
02-25-2005, 03:17 PM
The Il2 series is and always has been geared for online play and from the looks of it, BoBII will be mostly, if not entirely, offline play. I am actually an offline player most of the time, the only reason I play the IL2 series online is because the offline play is virtually unplayable do to UFO AI planes combined with retarted AI pilots and a POS semi-dynamic campaign. Not that I don't like semi-dynamic campaigns, the one in EAW was semi-dynamic and in my oppinion that was the best campaign engine ever created (far better than F4's POS campaign). BoBII looks like it will fill in the gaping holes in the IL2 line while providing reasonably good quality in other area's. I suspect I will get it unless they do something incredably stupid like use starforce for copy protection. Thinking of which I hope the LOMAC crew changes that decision, cause while I really want FC, I will not buy and install a game that is also a virus, trojan and hijacker all combined into a single superbeast.

Badsight.
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
this game (FB/PF) lacks the immersion & quality in its campaign system that Rowans BoB has , & this BoB II should be even better

people can knock it about its lack of mulitplayer , but lets see these same people compare the 2 offline experiences , i know which sim would come out on top & it aint FB/PF

the worst part of FB is the thing BoB excels in

LWulffe_Dumbo
02-25-2005, 06:56 PM
I can highly recommend this game.

Rowan's Battle of Britain...as originally released...had a lot of bugs. Or so I'm told. I didn't start playing it until it had found its way to the discount racks.

Over the past two years, the BDG boys (http://www.bob-ma.org) have done an incredible amount of work modifying and improving this sim...ever since Rowan released the source code. Now, Shockwave is taking BDG's work to the next level.

Before I upgraded my rig this past April and discovered the magnificent IL-2 series, Rowan's Battle of Britain had become my main sim. I used to lovingly refer to it as "the poor man's IL-2" lol.

Yeah, it doesn't have the graphical quality of this series...it'll be interesting to see what additions Shockwave has made to it...but it's fun to fly with literally HUNDREDS of aircraft in the air at any given time. Talk about your furballs!

Some things that BDG improved on that I wish Oleg would do included the ability to duck below the cloud cover and lose the AI, historical weather (you read that right!) in the campaign mode, crippled bombers veering off from the formation and heading for home, and lots more.

Unfortunately, BDG never could upgrade the game's multiplayer capability (which is basically non-existent, even though it's listed on the game's main menu).

Even though I'm currently flying Battle of Britain on BDG's latest 0.99 patch, I will be purchasing the Shockwave release when it comes out in March.

P.S. It's probably not good form to recommend a competitor's product on this forum, but like I said, the game does have some nice features that Oleg & Company might steal...err, borrow http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif...for FB+AEP+PF.

deathhamster
02-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I remember owning the original BoB on the Amiga years ago, and i have to say that as an offline campaign goes it puts CFS3 and iL2 to shame. the strategic portion of the game where you got to choose your targets (as the germans you could pick any viable target in the southern UK from radar stations to airfields or factories) as the brits you had to carefully manage your fighter resources sending replacements to different airbases where they were needed and intercepting incomming bombre formations and then jumping straight into the cockpit for the action.

Charlie901
02-25-2005, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LWulffe_Dumbo:

Yeah, it doesn't have the graphical quality of this series...it'll be interesting to see what additions Shockwave has made to it...but it's fun to fly with literally HUNDREDS of aircraft in the air at any given time. Talk about your furballs!

Some things that BDG improved on that I wish Oleg would do included the ability to duck below the cloud cover and lose the AI, historical weather (you read that right!) in the campaign mode, crippled bombers veering off from the formation and heading for home, and lots more. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good too me!

3.JG51_BigBear
02-25-2005, 07:12 PM
I probably will be. It was only a matter of time before other flight sims began catching up to the quality of the IL2 series. I have dreams that one day it will be like the late 90s again with multiple ww2 flight sims worth playing like EAW, Jane's WW2 fighters, and CFS2. Those were the days.

deathhamster
02-25-2005, 07:17 PM
The greater strategy and the feeling that you are actually in a war with events happening around you that you can influence is the only area that the il2 series lacks in my opinion. if you want to play a flight sim buy fs2004 but games like il2 and PF are more than just flight sims they are war sims and as such need to provide a more emmersive feel. you need to belive that a war is raging around you with armies advanceing and retreating around you and this is what is sadly lacking in PF. The shocking lack of major american and japanese capital ships is one of the major dissappointments, but anyway i digress. BoB was an amazing game for its time and with this new release coming out soon i think i might just have to get back into the fight

norman888
02-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Had a great time with the original after a "little" tweaking-sounds familiar doesn't it!!??